[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harper Collins Study Bible vs New Oxford Annotated Bible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: noab.jpg (27 KB, 361x499) Image search: [Google]
noab.jpg
27 KB, 361x499
I have been taking an interest in academic Bible study for some time now, and I keep seeing the both of these recommended for their mainstream scholarly commentary.

Can anyone help me decide between the two? I am very racist and sexist, and I hear that New Oxford Annotated is "inclusive to people of color" and "gender neutral". Is this true for both of them? Is there a study Bible that keeps homosexuality as the primary reason Sodom was destroyed?
>>
>>8211305
>I am very racist and sexist
Aren't we all?
>>
Shit I got the new oxford. Now im pissed
>>
>>8211305
You should hardly take note of attempts to make the Bible gender neutral. I have the Oxford one and I enjoy it. The annotations are more scholarly/academic than theologically elucidating though
>>
>making the bible gender neutral and inclusive to people of color

i'm not an expert on the bible, but how do they go about doing that?
>>
Are you asking about the notes or the actual translation? the ones that aren't gender neutral and whatnot are the more literal translations. So you can look for an NASB, RSV, ESV...
Since you're looking for an academic one this shouldn't be an issue. The "PC" translations are NLT, NIV(if my memory serves), ones like that.

I guess go with the HC if you hear that stuff about the Oxford.
>>
>>8211370
by having people of color characters in it
>>
File: inclusive.png (81 KB, 836x383) Image search: [Google]
inclusive.png
81 KB, 836x383
>>8211364
>>8211375
This pic comes from here.
http://www.cts.edu/library/documents/ChoosingABible-Vertical.pdf

Also, from http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/DobrasOxfordBible.php?/articles/DobrasOxfordBible.htm I get things like:

>"The new Annotated Bible -- edited in part by pro-"gay" and feminist scholars -- adopts "gay" revisionist interpretations of Holy Scripture such as that God allegedly destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for the sin of inhospitality -- not homosexual sin."
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.