[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just discovered I'm not naturally gifted towards the art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: 1464042815212.png (148 KB, 645x772) Image search: [Google]
1464042815212.png
148 KB, 645x772
I just discovered I'm not naturally gifted towards the art (ENTJ).

Acording to such horoscope, my best shot is to become an engineer, also programmer is my best shot.

But I still want to become a writer but I suck at art.
I guess I could make in college an AI to write a novel based on parameters I put and have it write in a certain style.

It's even possible to do that and get it published?

Can I still make my dream come true even if I'm not talented for the arts?
>>
From this post alone I can tell you're not gonna make it.
>>
>>8210659
This. If you really want it, you'll find a way and not ask 4chan to validate your "dream."
>>
>>8210664
>>8210659
I'm asking if I can publish a novel written by an AI.

Or if you know about such thing.
>>
>>8210675
You could sell your AI technology for a billion dollars.
>>
Do whatever you want. Write modern pynchon and promote the shit out of it
>>
>>8210681
I think I can do that as well.

What I mean is this:

I give a plot summary in some script language, then give a bunch of texts to analize to copy the style, then the AI determines how to write in said style using the script language to determine how the characters react, how the story moves and so on.

I think It can be a huge deal, but I want to make it to help me write.
>>
>>8210675
if you find a way to profitably sell fiction written by an AI, someone will pay a pretty penny to buy the technology then use it to spew soul-sucking entertainment and/or propaganda
>>
>>8210658
>ENTJ
For believing in that shit you may as well off yourself.
>>
>>8210696
> using the script language to determine how the characters react
i have a hard time seeing an AI being able to do this.
>>
>>8210658
Think about why you suck. Think about what writers/artists you like are doing with that art that you are not doing. Read the books your favorite writers like. Do all this and you will make progress as a writer.

Also, if you are skilled at science, I really advocate pursuing it. I grew up 'the most creative kid' in the class and it warped me into thinking I was a special snowflake destined to be an artist, resulting in me graduating college with no real world skills or immediate talents. My whole youth I never cared about anything scientific and thought it was a waste of time, only to discover now that it's all fascinating and reading more science has helped develop my prose as a writer.

Long story short, if you like engineering and programming, get into them and learn from them, the writing will come naturally if you remain self-aware.

Also consider the idea of "your dream." Is it literally just to get published? Millions of people do that. Is it to make money and be rich from writing? Think about what you really want and why you want it.
>>
>>8210707
because the creative part is done by the human.
the AI only fills the gaps.

>>8210712
think of this way:
My passion = doing art
my natural talent = math and engineering.

My country version of SAT gave me the higest scores in physics and math and my lowest scores to critical reading.
>>
>>8210720
Stop being a little 17 year old fag and write if that's what you want to do. If you suck, get good or stop.

Instead of writing, you're here, making excuses because you took an internet personality test that said you can't write.
>>
>>8210658
If you can make an AI that can write fiction at the same level of top level writers then that would be the catalyst for the robot takeover.

Basically, no you're probably not going to do that
>>
>>8210720
>the AI only fills the gaps
what are the gaps? fills them with what?

>my lowest scores to critical reading
then read more and build your critical reading skills. i tutor the SAT and the only way to be better at reading is to read more.
it's like anything, the more practice you commit to something, the better you get. just because you're "inclined" towards math doesn't mean you can't write.
reading more = better critical reading = recognizing how writers do things = applying that to your own writing.
>>
>>8210720
Natural talent just means you've found shortcuts in the system of what you're doing naturally. You can be good at everything if you figure out an efficient system for improving in it. Your probably, it sounds like, is it's going to take more investment to develop as a writer, but considering you're already far ahead in sciences, I think you can spare the time.
>>
>>8210746
>Your probably, it sounds like, is it's going to take more investment

What the fuck were you trying to type?
>>
>>8210751
*problem
>>
>>8210732
>>8210734
>>8210741
>>8210746
I'm just saying maybe I should stop a path I may not enjoy.
I'm just saying that maybe there's another path that gets to the same goal in a diferent way.

I'm very good at math and It's very easy for me, but It's not my passion.

Maybe I can find a way to still follow my passion while doing something I'm good at.
>>
>>8210703

this desu
>>
>>8210771
>Maybe I can find a way to still follow my passion while doing something I'm good at.

Yes there is, look you're probably very young, you have a lot of time. Go major in maths or sciences and if you're as good at those as you claim you are then you're going to have plenty of free time to follow your passion.

Also make some friends or hire a therapist so you don't have to make a thread on 4chan every time you feel insecure about your future
>>
>>8210786
I was hoping to discuss if there's is literature (fiction) made by A.I
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 225x225
>>8210658
Look up the origin of this test you're using to decide your future.
>>
File: 1432800873112.gif (116 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1432800873112.gif
116 KB, 160x120
>>8210658

>he fell for the myers brigg test!

Top kek m8 that was exposed as pseudo science years ago.
>>
>>8210806
>I was hoping to discuss if there's is literature (fiction) made by A.I

Then you're not at all as smart as you think you are
>>
Who /INFT/ here?
>>
File: 1438014128774.jpg (63 KB, 550x448) Image search: [Google]
1438014128774.jpg
63 KB, 550x448
>>8210806
O my god haha you fucking newfag lol pic related
>>
>>8210813
It's still reliable for some measures, I don't remember what though.
>>
>>8210720
>My country version of SAT gave me the higest scores in physics and math and my lowest scores to critical reading.
This is much more reliable than an internet test, should've posted that in the op. I personally would recommend you to learn how to enjoy science. I was a massive art faggot until I was taught logic in school, when I learned how fascinating and beautiful an objective science could be. Now I really pity the fact that I didn't give a shit about math and physics when I was younger. Those things are truly fucking beautiful, not just "wow nebulae are beautiful".

Yes, there have been attempts at AI-made art. Music produced by AIs is generic, poems are meaningless and there has been some story in a competition that had some mild success, but the coders personally had to assist the writing program a lot.

An AI writing a whole novel sounds impossible. The AI would need a defined philosophy if the story has a moral. You have to have an image of the setting and know how people behave in it. You have to define characters with traits and make them react realistically (not like caricatures from Inside Out). You have to pace the plot, build expectations in the reader, imagine original metaphors... There's way too many things going on here, and many are very subjective. If doing all this is possible anyway, you'd need an army of genius writers, critics and programmers to build that AI.
>>
Ahh bud, you just gotta practice more, not complain. You'll get it
>>
I'm INTP and morons think I'm clever and so to best apply myself I would not write fiction, but rather put myself into increasingly absurd situations and then just change names and stories in the novel.
>>
>jungianism
>pseudoscience
>more than zero times
I keep telling you
>>
>>8210658
>Acording to such horoscope, my best shot is to become an engineer, also programmer is my best shot.
Please don't try to become a writer.
>>
>>8211103
Are you me?
>>
File: 1457372401381.gif (188 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
1457372401381.gif
188 KB, 500x447
>We like to think of our own personalities, and those of our family and friends as predictable, constant over time. But what if they aren't? What if nothing stays constant over a lifetime?
http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/482836315/the-personality-myth
>>
>>8210675
If you're asking if it's possible to publish a piece of literature written by a deep neural net, the answer is
anything is possible, you mong
>>
>>8211125
Who's "we"? I knew this shit already
>>
>>8211143
Good for (You).
>>
>>8211125
The MBTI framework is more for assessing a benchmark on one in that moment of time, and simply signifies *preferences* rather than ability.
>>
INFP here. Took the test at a work opportunity.

According to it, my best job is writer or musician. But guess what, didn't make me work more towards it.

It's all about what you will do, OP. Don't let a test dictate what you should do.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160627-140045.png (444 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160627-140045.png
444 KB, 1080x1920
>INTP
>Look up recommended careers
>Mask of Murder
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.