[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Iliad is Metal af. What other books contain such graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 329x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 329x475
The Iliad is Metal af. What other books contain such graphic descriptions of battke and death (ancient or modern)?
Also a side note: the way Homer mentions some unrelated quotidian fact about the dying makes they're deaths all the more powerful and vivid; especially considering that we only hear of most of these people mentioned once or twice during the story. It's kind of brutal to read.
>>
>>8209890

their*
>>
>>8209890

bump
>>
>>8209890

read Blood Meridian
>>
>>8209890
whiny ass "heroes".
>>
>>8210261

I'm sure your could survive on a Bronze Age battlefield as a warrior a lot more than those whiners, right, anon? Or manning a Bronze Age plow as a slave. Or even as a woman, fetching water, working the loom and pumping out your lord's children.

So shut the fuck up and show some respect to your ancestors Θερσίτης, you bow-legged little bitch.
>>
File: 9780140455304[1].jpg (128 KB, 502x761) Image search: [Google]
9780140455304[1].jpg
128 KB, 502x761
some of the descriptions of killing in The Tain make the Iliad seem like a pleasant walk through a meadow. Don't wanna spoil anything, but it's hardcore (also way more enjoyable than the Iliad imo)
>>
>>8210653
Can you spolied it a little for me?
>>
Most of the classics are brutal. Read the Aeneid next for more battle
>>
>>8210365
typical pleb responses to shit that has nothing to do with you personally.
>>
>>8210653
>their epics are about stealing cows
>>
>>8210794
well it tells the story of Cu Chulainn, who's basically an unstoppable badass. as a child, he kills a dog by throwing a ball through it - literally in its mouth and out the other side, ripping its guts out. there is also a particularly memorable scene in The Tain where Cu Chulainn bear hugs a guy to death, squeezing all of his insides out his asshole. there are plenty more examples very similar to that. jsut extremely gruesome deaths.
>>
Le mort de Arthur has a lot of blood, especially with random knights and ladies getting the ax after being introduced two sentences before
>>
File: 1462737802644.jpg (28 KB, 316x500) Image search: [Google]
1462737802644.jpg
28 KB, 316x500
>>
>>8210855
Cool. Thanks
>>
>>8210256
I like Cormac McCarthy too but...really?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.