[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading long books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1406271752729.jpg (79 KB, 612x456) Image search: [Google]
1406271752729.jpg
79 KB, 612x456
How do I get into reading and not lose my concetration

I want to start reading more books how do I develop a good reading habit? Some folk out there read like 4 hours a day. I want something along those lines 2-4 hours.

How do you not lose the concentration?
>>
succ
>>
Don't bother it's not worth it. Watch netflix instead. Same content, but better delivery.

>Watching movies and TV is for plebs; it rots your brain
>Reading novels is for patricians; it's gentlemanly and learned

Is there any truth to this meme? (And if so, then what of audiobooks?)

Is the distaste for "merely watching TV/Movies" simply a modern development; a reaction of the disgust reflex against the media addiction that goes hand-in-hand with (and arguably supports) our objectively measurable intellectual and social development? After all, given the choice of reading a novel and watching a film with the same content, most will opt for the film if only because it will take a fraction of the time and energy.

Aren't reading and "watching" both just passively absorbing narratives? On what grounds can we put one on a pedestal and the other in the gutter? Because reading is less efficient it's "better"?

And if we accept that reading is "mere consumption" as well, isn't the critical fault-line actually that between creating new ideas and passively absorbing existing ideas?
>>
>>8209534
>reading fiction
>>
>>8209534
If you think that reading is passive then I'd wager that you have no idea how to read a novel.
>>
>>8209527
Start small. It takes years to build up to reading that much. Especially now when most information is conveyed in 140 character replies or 5 minute YouTube videos.

The more you read the better you get at it and the less energy it requires (efficiency). Improving your vocab is probably the most important factor to keeping up a good pace, and not losing focus.
>>
>>8209534
>Aren't reading and "watching" both just passively absorbing narratives?

Both film and literature are more than just narratives. The essence of appreciating the art of filmmaking or literature is to feel the medium--in films it's visuals, and in literature it's the text.
>>
>>8209527
Little and often. Or just read until you start to wane then stop and pick it up again when you feel like it.

It took me 18 months to read Musashi.
>>
>>8209527
What I do is not to solely read one book. Instead, I keep a small stack of three or four texts of different genres and writers, so that I can change to something lighter if, say, Crime And Punishment needs a break.

I would recommend this approach to avoid feeling bogged down, or obliged to plod through a book just because you have started it. Three or four is a nice amount, any more and you would probably begin to blur recollections together.
>>
File: 789-Laughing_Fool_cropped.jpg (78 KB, 624x416) Image search: [Google]
789-Laughing_Fool_cropped.jpg
78 KB, 624x416
>>8209701
>What I do is not to solely read one book. Instead, I keep a small stack of three or four texts of different genres and writers, so that I can change to something lighter if, say,
*rummages around in brain*
*what book is really heavy*
*maybe one of those Russian authors I've been meaning to get around to*
*Crime and Punishment? Yeah OK*
>Crime And Punishment needs a break.
>>
>>8209527

Set a minimum amount of pages to rear per day.

I finished Gravity's Rainbow in two weeks by at least reading 40 pages a day and continuing on when I felt like it.
>>
>>8209701
This is really bad advice, and a sure way to quadruple the time it takes to read one book.
>>
it's not like you have to read for 4 hours straight. reading in 30 minute intervals a couple times a day is much more manageable for your average person.
>>
>>8209713
Amusingly, I am that transparent. I'm ignorant to the Russian authors, which is something I plan to address - there are only so many hours.
>>
I've been able to read 4-5 hours at a time, but only when it's assigned reading at school. I'm pretty sure I can only read that long when a deadline and a grade is involved. Now that it's summer, I struggle to get through 20 pages of anything.
>>
File: 1463660684329.jpg (87 KB, 794x585) Image search: [Google]
1463660684329.jpg
87 KB, 794x585
Read some short books you think you'll enjoy.

For instance, if you like action movies or Bond films, check out Ian Flemming's novels.

Maybe you want to read some classic novels. Read some 20th century American books.

Scifi might be your thing. Check out classics by Asimov or Clarke.

Just some suggestions.
>>
>>8209527
>How do I start smoking and not cough or puke?

>I want to start smoking how do I develop a good smoking habit? Some folk out there smoke like 2 packs a day. I want something along those lines 1-2 packs.

>How do you not start coughing and puking?
Have you considered vape?

It's like smoking but without any of the negative consequences like being a massive autist, or social isolation.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.