[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stories about illiterate or linguistically challenged people?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2016-04-29-08-30-40.png (119 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-29-08-30-40.png
119 KB, 480x854
Stories about illiterate or linguistically challenged people?

>playing cranium
>girl has to draw a blimp
>doesn't know what a blimp is
>picks another card later
>has the word "gradient"
>has to ask what it means
>she's applying to MBA programs

I thought my vocabulary was bad. How can you not know these basic words?
>>
>basic
For survival you need ~20 words
>>
>>8209305
uga uga krah krah
>>
Non-native speaker that considers himself about 80% fluent and i have no idea what blimp means. It didnt show up in books i have read and neither in other parts of english culture.
>>
>>8209315
> 80% fluent

what's that supposed to mean?

btw, I know what a blimp is and I'm not a native speaker either, i.e.: your dum
>>
>>8209315
Non-native speaker that doesn't consider himself really that fluent at all and i know what blimp means.
>>
>>8209315

They show up in real life though. You ever see that bigass thing in the sky and wonder what the fuck it was? Aliens?
>>
>>8209366
>whats that supposed to mean?

Monolingual plebe spotted
>>
>>8209423
halt's maul, du idiot, dein dummes gelaber ergibt noch nicht mal sinn
>>
>>8209412
>non-native speaker
That means he very likely knows the word for it in his mother tongue, dingus
>>
Linguistically challenged people often don't realise that words common in one discipline or area aren't well known other places. A Blimp for instance is called an airship in British English and I expect a lot of people here won't know the word blimp. Especially as it is more likely to call to mind the character Colonel Blimp for older readers.
>>
>>8209412
How often do you see a fucking blimp? I've been on this earth a quarter century and can't specifically recall a time seeing a blimp. Not even a basement dweller, it's just not something a lot of people come across often.
>>
>>8209315
Non-native speaker that considers himself about 99% fluent and I somehow know what a blimp is, but completely understand that you wouldn't. In fact, I don't know how to say it in my native language.
>>
File: Bud-s.jpg (62 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Bud-s.jpg
62 KB, 450x300
>>8210518

I don't think the word blimp means what you think it means. I'm not exactly talking about shittingdicknipples here, I'm talking about blimps! Blimps, you moron! The slug form of zeppelins. The fat lady in the sky!

This is the 21st century man, it's about time you stepped outside.
>>
File: thoughts.png (327 KB, 1200x794) Image search: [Google]
thoughts.png
327 KB, 1200x794
>>8211153

Oh. OH! Blimps! I thought you were talking about the rare galapagos tortoise. Ah yes, of course. The common blimp. I'd recognize it anywhere.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.