[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I start if I want to read philosophy, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 598x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 598x402
Where should I start if I want to read philosophy, /lit/?
>>
File: 0764551531.jpg (135 KB, 482x599) Image search: [Google]
0764551531.jpg
135 KB, 482x599
>>8208531
start with the greeks
>>
>>8208538
/Thread
>>
>>8208538
Should I just dive straight in? Or will that leave me confused?
>>
>>8208544
If you do your research you should be alright. Conceptually it shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>8208547
Thanks dude
>>
File: 1455161196117.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1455161196117.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>
>>8208531
why did you draw over a woman sleeping in bed?
>>
File: 66065533.jpg (79 KB, 366x400) Image search: [Google]
66065533.jpg
79 KB, 366x400
There is more then one way to skin a cat and there are so many ways to start reading philosophy.

So you gotta pick what you want. What kind of philosophy do you want to get into?

I started with Stoicism so I went Seneca -> Aurelius
and then I went on to Epicurean so I read some Epicurus

Philosophy is fairly easy to get into, but sometimes its hard because older people influence newer people.

Or you could just say fuck it I do whatever I want bitch and start on Nietzsche
>>
Descartes. Basic level entry.
>>
>>8208592
I started with Zarathustra because my teacher recommended it, and now I regret that.
>>
>>8208851
Don't do what this guy says, OP. Start with the greeks.

Read this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
>>
Two questions fellow anons:

-Is Plato's republic a good starting point? I've heard that is a boring (i know this is subjective but still) and difficult read
-And is The Republic written from Socrates point of view? It's a transcription of actual socrates dialogues or did plato just used the name of socrates to explain his philosophy?
>>
>>8209431

>Two questions fellow anons:
The document, OP. The document answers everything.

>>8209419
>>
I've studied philosophy in high school (thanks, Italy), so I will tell you the philosophers whose way of thinking influenced all the philosophers who came after.
Start with Taletes, because he was the first; move to Parmenides and Eraclitus, then Gorgia and in the end the holy trinity: Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. Then you can also jump the neoplatonics such as Plotino, Ficino etc. and start to read modern philosophers.
>>
>>8209419
>philosophy is quite easy to get into
>first book on the "start with the greeks" chart is 400 pages
>theres 13 books of simular length and it's all just an introduction to help you understand the thoughts and reasoning behind other philosophers

What the fuck
>>
>>8209608
>Falling for the academia meme
>>
>>8209608
Then don't read it and go back to playing vidya fagget
>>
File: Enter.jpg (14 KB, 265x172) Image search: [Google]
Enter.jpg
14 KB, 265x172
Enter with the Egyptians
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.