[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /lit/ feel about him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: AUTHOR_Roberto_Bolano.jpg (30 KB, 490x580) Image search: [Google]
AUTHOR_Roberto_Bolano.jpg
30 KB, 490x580
How does /lit/ feel about him?
>>
why read a book by a mexican when there a plenty of great American authors?
>>
>>8208434
I really liked 2666 and I'll probably pick up some of his other work at some point. The way that each individual scene in the novel felt realistic but the big picture felt kinda psychelic/unreal was what I enjoyed most. I don't really have much more to add since I'm a pleb.
>>
>>8208469
Quite succinct and a good way to put it, I might steal it.

You should try The Savage Detectives as well, its really good.
>>
>>8208473
desu I just stole that idea from a review I read (one of the ones that was at the front of the book I'm pretty sure), but it does describe to a tee how I felt about the novel.
>>
>>8208434
>mariachi pynchon
>>
Nazi Literature in South America is incredibly good.
>>
Pretty based author.

He manages to be fairy readable while also starting clear of all pleb shit pit falls.

The 300 pages of description on 2666 did get tiring but that was artistic embellishment that only felt out of place because the rest is such a joy to breeze through. I think the stark contrast works for the book

Interested in reading more from him

I think 2666 is worthy of being on the second meme trilogy
>>
>The Third Reich
Incredibly overlooked, but beautiful especially with Bolano's ability in melding alienation with fairy-tale. Really spectacular debut.

>The Savage Detectives
It's one of the few books that had me misty eyed multiple times. (ISoLT is one of the only other ones). Sometimes hit too close to home with the idea of forming a false-literary movement to grain traction, it was as if I was reading conversations between me and my friends, I think most users here have very similar ideas.

>2666
Oh boy where to begin. To put it this way, this book's translation made me start learning Spanish a few months ago so I can reread it in Spanish.

>The Romantic Dogs
Witty poems that fit the beauty of Central/South American poetry thats being churned out right now.

Bolano has so much that has even yet to be translated so let's face it when 'Consejos de un discípulo de Morrison a un fanático de Joyce'. It's going to be huge on here. Bolano has a ton of work, from great poetry collections to encyclopedic mega-novels, he's one of the most important writers of this century (let's just round-up The Savage Detectives a few years).
>>
>>8209179
holy fuck

you're so right
>>
I'm glad to see that people haven't taken this post and driven it into the ground.

Check out Antwerp if you haven't.

"The only novel that doesn't embarrass me is Antwerp."
>>
just another overrated modernist
>>
>>8208435
>>>/b/
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.