[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for a book that speaks in a way that is so maddening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
I'm looking for a book that speaks in a way that is so maddening that when you put it down you feel a sort of vertigo for reality. I'm not looking for books that try to undermine science or something, I'm just looking for something that will make me feel like my thoughts are spiraling. One that speaks evenly, so that I'm lead into the madness naturally, not confused. Because it's hard to feel like you're going insane when your mind is confused, it works better when you feel lucid, but feel reality sort of crumbling.
>>
>>8207878
If a book like that exists, I want it.

I only felt something slightly similar to what you're describing while reading one particular scene in Infinite Jest (inb4 pleb yeah fuck off). The scene where James Incandenza is young and his father is telling him of how he destroyed his knees because of his father when he was young.

Jesus that chapter was amazing. The book as a whole I don't know but that particular scene was great.
>>
Wittgenstein wrote his treatise on philosophy and language entirely in bullet points
>>
I sometimes feel like that after looking at 4chan for too long in one stretch, so what books make you feel like you've been browsing 4chan for hours?
>>
File: clarice.jpg (39 KB, 359x540) Image search: [Google]
clarice.jpg
39 KB, 359x540
>>8207878
Agua Viva by Clarice Lispector
>>
"Now it can be told" by Kilgore Trout
>>
i don't know which of the harry potters can capture this feeling exactly but I'm leaning towards 5
>>
Evola's Introduction to Magic and The Hermetic Tradition should do that to you I would think.
>>
the tunnel by william gibson
>>
>>8208025
Oh look, Gassposter left his containment thread. The cancer has spread, everyone make your preparations.
>>
I read into the wild on two bottles of cough syrup. Felt the vertigo for reality somewhere up there.
>>
>>8207951
my diary tbq senpai
>>
I'm not well read in the area but most of what i have from continental philosophy does this. Heidegger and adorno in my experience
>>
Also maybe cosmology or pure mathematics. Reading someone logically describe the end of the universe is both terrifying and hilarious, or realizing the greatness of Einstein. Just unreal intelligence
>>
>>8207878
fourtwenty dawg xD
>>
>>8208161
Evolution over geological time scales can be pretty good too (putting humans into perspective).
>>
File: url.jpg (10 KB, 182x276) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
10 KB, 182x276
>>
>>8208101
>Heidegger
I have the opposite experience, when I read Heidegger I feel less "vertigo for reality" as OP calls it.
>>
>>8207878
Smoke a bowl and read some Burroughs.

The man's brain is so uniquely addled from a life of junk, guilt, crime and buggery that his books present a tangible wall of contempt for conventional logic and morality.
>>
>>8207878
east of eden. lots of people rage quit before it even gets into full spin
>>
>>8207878
UNA
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.