[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have opinions on this book? Looking to get a basic familiarity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 9780826490209.jpg (228 KB, 160x246) Image search: [Google]
9780826490209.jpg
228 KB, 160x246
Anyone have opinions on this book? Looking to get a basic familiarity with the field before I dig deeper into individual philosophers and wondering if this is a decent place to start cause I'm not gonna read Copleston

Here's the table of contents:
1. Plato and Socrates: The Fire and the Sun
2. Aristotle: The Spirit of Rational Enquiry
3. Epicurus and Zeno: How to Lead a Good Life
4. St Thomas Aquinas: The Unified Interpretation of Reality
5. René Descartes: Systematic Doubt as Philosophical Method
6. John Locke and Montesquieu: The Liberal State
7. Benedict de Spinoza: Rigorous Thought and Severe Conclusions
8. David Hume: Empirical Verification
9. Immanuel Kant: The Critique of Reason
10. Karl Marx: The March of History
11. Friedrich Nietzsche: The Will to Power
12. Ludwig Wittgenstein: Language and Reality
13. Martin Heidegger: We Have Forgotten Being
14. Jean-Paul Sartre: Existentialist Anguish
15. Jacques Derrida: Deconstructing Reality

I have decent familiarity with chapters 1-5 but only very basic knowledge of the rest.
>>
>>8206631
>not gonna read Copleston

just leave then
>>
>>8206631
This book looks like ass. Just Patrician up and read Copleston, bitch.
>>
File: 51AZvfxrEML.jpg (51 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
51AZvfxrEML.jpg
51 KB, 325x500
i heard this was pretty good also copleston
>>
>no hegel
>>
>>8206741
I've heard that was worse than Copleston
>>
Don't read this and don't read Russel's abomination. Anything else should be fine :)
>>
>>8206631
>reading is hard
>I won't read the standard text
>I won't even read a basic paperback unless I get detailed advice from strangers first

Sounds to me like you might benefit from some handholding in the form of a video podcast lecture series.

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/general-philosophy

Just pretend you're an undergraduate student at Oxford studying philosophy and let this based Hume scholar hold your hand through history of philosophy - Greeks to the 20th century.
>>
>>8206794
how is copleston bad
>>
Can someone knowledgeable tell me if this is worth following?

>>>http://philosophy.lander.edu/intro/index.html

It's an Introduction to Philosophy class, with a syllabus and open-source readings. It's a few years old and some of the links 404 but it looks like there's some worthwhile content here.
>>
File: 209353.jpg (23 KB, 259x400) Image search: [Google]
209353.jpg
23 KB, 259x400
how's this one?
>>
>>8206809

why is russel bad
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.