[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you have actually read anything by Voltaire?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: voltaire.jpg (23 KB, 250x320) Image search: [Google]
voltaire.jpg
23 KB, 250x320
How many of you have actually read anything by Voltaire?
>>
why would we do that? last thing this board needs is more edge.
>>
>>8206287

Candide, and a short story of some man suffering outrageous misfortune and maiming.

They weren't that great.
>>
>>8206287
Candide and Zadig, some of his poems too. He's a hack.
>>
>>8206287
have any of you guys read Simplicissimus?
>>
File: 17536450866.jpg (25 KB, 304x500) Image search: [Google]
17536450866.jpg
25 KB, 304x500
Read pic related as well as some of his Lettres philosophiques.
>>
>>8206318
>>8206323
>>8206356
One of my goals in life is to learn French just so I can read Candide in its native language, should I kill myself?
>>
>EUROPEAN
>UNION
>>
>>8206360

Honestly no, mon ami. Candide is not written in complex french, some people have to read it in highschool, so it is definitely doable.
>>
>>8206360
It's not worth it.
I mean French is a beautiful language and you should learn it if you can but Candide is a terrible book based on a strawman argument aimed at Leibniz.
>>
>>8206360
do you have the Dover dual language joint?
>>
hasn't everyone read candide?
>>
>>8206287
His Philosophical Dictionary has some of the best wit of the enlightenment nigga.
>>
Not one and I'm too old now to go back to it.
>>
>>8206287
Reading his Memoirs. He mostly takes shots at Frederick the Great so far.

He seems great more for his defense of free speech instead of any actual writings.
>>
Candide, it was shit.
>>
> "I have acquired slaves and servants"... Can you see the magnitude of one’s arrogance here? These words constitute a mutiny against God... if that person considers himself the lord and master of men and women he has - if anything - surpassed human nature with his pride. [ ... ] You condemn to slavery a human being whose nature it is to be free and self-governing, and you erect your own law opposite the law of God, thus overturning the law that governs the life of a human being. Him - who was forged precisely to be the lord of the earth and who was appointed by the Creator to rule – you have subjected to the yoke of slavery, which contravenes and opposes the divine commandment. [...] “I have acquired slaves and servants”... At what price? tell us. What did you find in nature that is equal to them? [... ] Somebody gave birth to them and likewise to you; your lives are common; the passions of the soul and the body are the same for all: joy and impatience, sorrow and pleasure, anger and fear, sickness and death. Does a master differ at all to his slave in all these? Don’t they both breathe the same air? Don’t they both see the sun in the same way? Won’t they both turn into the same dust after death? If therefore you are the same as all the others, tell me, where do you possess the advantage over the others, so that even though you are a human being yourself, you consider yourself the master of another human being?
>>
I keep a copy of the abridged Voltaire with me everywhere i go. Its what got me through prison.
>>
>>8206287
Candide, and although I was less than impressed by the story itself, its message was solid. I also had a good time lol-ing at the racist stereotypes throughout
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.