[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Thomas Wolfe /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Thomas_Wolfe_1937_1.jpg (263 KB, 978x1499) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Wolfe_1937_1.jpg
263 KB, 978x1499
Opinions on Thomas Wolfe /lit/?
>>
some folks were talking about a new movie about him on the radio a couple weeks ago but that's like the first i'd heard of him

have you read anything of his op
>>
>>8206034
Midway through "Look Homeward Angel" at the moment. Nice prose, though a bit experimental for the sake of being experimental in parts.
>>
File: tw.jpg (58 KB, 441x658) Image search: [Google]
tw.jpg
58 KB, 441x658
>>8206026
I enjoyed Look Homeward, Angel and You Can't Go Home Again. His prose has a nice flow to it, especially LHA. Andrew Turnbull's biography is good if you're interested in his life.
>>
>Fitzgerald
>Hemingway
>Wolfe

Three greatest American writers of their time, if not of all time.
>>
>>8206026
I enjoyed Look Homeward Angel
I couldn't get into Of Time and the River though. It's in a box somewhere. I had enough of him.
>>
One of my favourites. His style is the opposite to Hemingway's. He risks being viewed as sentimental and boring and it pays off. The intensity of his writing is appealing, as are his efforts to describe the interior lives of his characters. I recommend his short story collection "From Death To Morning" and his essay "God's Lonely Man"
>>
>>8206026
He looks like a less gay Brandon Sanderson.
>>
>>8206053
I never buy books based on their titles, but I did buy You Can't Go Home Again, because holy fuck what a good title.
>>
>>8206067
>>8206067
Holy shit, you are a massive faggot.
>>
>>8206067

Fitzgerald is utter shit and Hemingway is mediocre. I've never read Wolfe but it appears from this post that he is not good
>>
>>8206184
Interesting, in-depth criticism there...
>>
>>8206026
One of the best prose stylists ever. srsly. I love to shitpost about most writers for the sake of the keks, but Wolfe demands my respect cuh.
>>
File: infinitejest.jpg (30 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
infinitejest.jpg
30 KB, 324x500
>>8206184
If Fitzgerald is "utter shit" and Hemingway is "medicore" I'd like to see who you think is great. Scratch that, I think I know already (pic related.)
>>
>>8206742
Totally agree. As a prose stylist he's up there with Joyce and Fitzgerald,
>>
>>8206184
Don't get mislead, while Hemingway being primitive, and Fitzgerald being just good, Wolfe is one of the few really great american stylists
>>
>>8206052
Can you comment a bit on how it's experimental? I got really into that novel like 11 years ago, but I wouldn't have known enough at the time to catch anything like that.
>>
>>8207103
The occasional stream of consciousness passage (not necessarily a bad thing of course) and Wolfe's needless addition of the phrase "O Lost" at the end of some of his paragraphs.
>>
>>8207075
Don't really get why Fitzgerald isn't one of the few really great American prose stylists...?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.