[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting on Dostoevsky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: dosto.png (51 KB, 121x179) Image search: [Google]
dosto.png
51 KB, 121x179
Im going to start reading Fyodor's books and I was wondering if there's any problem if I start by his most critically acclaimed work "The Brothers Karamazov". Speaking in a sense that I'd like to know if there's any book that I should start by or it doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>8205691
it doesn't matter that much if you are already accostumed reading long books.

In my opinion BK it's his best work
>>
>>8205692
thanks m8
>>
Notes from Underground or Crime and Punishment are the general starting points, but it doesn't really matter.

The Brothers K is special in that the religious themes are the most pronounced in it by far.
>>
>>8205698
that's a theme that really interests me so I guess I'll be def. reading Karamazov
>>
>>8205703
Are you Christian, or just curious?

I'm Orthodox
>>
>>8205691
I think that Crime and Punishment would make for a better starting point. Yet, start wherever you like, but make sure to read Demons.
>>
It doesn't matter where you start. My first Dostoevsky was the Karamazov brothers as well.

Be sure to read the avsey translation
>>
>>8205691
I liked The Idiot and White Nights.
>>
>>8205692
>my opinion

literally everybody's opinion
>>
The Idiot is my favorite from Dostoyevsky. Be sure to read it even I you decide to read The Brothers Karamazov first.
>>
>>8205691
Read Notes from Underground first. It's short and you could cruise through it in 2 hours.
>>
>>8206735
I'm just about to start it, got it today. What am I in for?
>>
>>8206874
/r9k/: the book
>>
>>8206874
It's different from his other novels.
It's like Russian Catcher in the Rye for 20-somethings with psychological themes
>>
>>8206880
But he actually talks to a girl, though.
>>
>>8206960
He goes to a party and ree's about how much he hates them for being successful and the spergs out towards a whore
>>
File: 1466697275851.png (274 KB, 339x351) Image search: [Google]
1466697275851.png
274 KB, 339x351
>>8205712

>Dostoevsky thread
>"I'm Orthodox Christian"

well i'll be
>>
>>8206880
That would be My Twisted World, not Notes from Underground.
>>
>>8206964
/r9k/ would never virtually force themselves into a party they were unwelcome at, and make a public scene there.

His relation with the whore is nothing like them either, they wouldn't make a prostitute fall in love through literary persuasion, and then reject her out of shame of themselves.

It's like you didn't even read Part I. If you take a look at the average threads on /r9k/, they're nothing like the thoughts of the Underground Man. He certainly doesn't gripe about not having a girlfriend.

The Underground Man embraces being a loser out of rebellion toward practicality, reason and utilitarianism. His being a loser is an affirmation of freedom, /r9k/ are losers due to *lack* of freedom.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 610x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 610x384
Tfw I read the p and v translation and thought the prose was awkward

Did I fuck up bros?
>>
>>8205691
I liked it
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.