[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else getting more in touch with their Cioranite nihilism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1453740447491.png (101 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
1453740447491.png
101 KB, 500x498
Anyone else getting more in touch with their Cioranite nihilism?
>>
File: 1383259970197.jpg (138 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1383259970197.jpg
138 KB, 600x800
>not accepting absurdism in its fullest
>>
File: camusjak.jpg (71 KB, 750x900) Image search: [Google]
camusjak.jpg
71 KB, 750x900
>>8204464
>absurdism
Another form of leap to faith that likes to deny that it is a leap to faith desu. I used to be a huge absurdist until I realised this, and read Kierkegaard.

It's obvious Camus really didn't understand Kierkegaard.
>>
A Short History of Decay is a good book.
>>
>>8204459
I wish Cioran didn't write in aphorisms. He seems interesting enough to read but I can't bring myself to read that lazy-ass shitty excuse for a book format
>>
>>8204476
I lean towards Kierkegaard as well, but I don't agree that it's a leap of faith to not take a leap of faith. Camus pretty much just said that the universe contradicts the human mind and to live in "revolt" of this absurd contradiction, and that's the only way to possibly live a fulfilled life. Idk, it's been a while since i read sysiphus, but I agree about Kierkegaard. He was full of contradictions and very difficult for anybody to understand. Camus seemed to address him in a way that specifically fit into his argument...
>>
>>8204494
it's not the not taking a leap of faith which is the issue, the belief that revolt gives meaning in itself is.

>>8204484
It really is. It's easy to read but it's best to read after people like Nietzsche, Stirner, Camus etc. Especially Stirner.

>>8204493
Just read it k?
>>
>>8204494
>but I don't agree that it's a leap of faith to not take a leap of faith.
Well, of course it isn't. That's tautological.

But Camus does take a leap of faith, right here:
>and that's the only way to possibly live a fulfilled life
You have decided to live in a certain way (although it's not entirely clear what this is, as "living in revolt of the absurdity of life" doesn't exactly translate easily to more prosaic, real-world terms) and your faith that living in revolt will bring you fulfillment is the leap.
>>
>>8204525
i'm not sure he ever claims it "gives meaning", just that it's the best of the three possible decisions when confronted with the absurd. (suicied, leap of faith, revolt) Suicide and religion require a leap of faith.. revolt is just indifference
>>
>>8204459

I live in a somewhat comfortable and functional, yet cramped hovel in the middle of the city and I've been amusing myself with more reading lately. I do my parents the courtesy of calling them regularly once or twice a week to let them know that I am still alive. Apart from these conversations, my interaction with other humans is usually limited to cashier transactions.
>>
>>8204534
He mischaracterises the decisions.
It's a false... trichotomy?
He should read some more existentialism, nihilism and Hegel.

I have deep respect for Camus and still am a Camusian in a lot of ways, but he was wrong on this.
>>
>>8204539
implying he wasn't well versed in modern (and ancient) philosophy is just plain wrong.

And please, tell me what other direction could be taken when confronting the absurd

I swear, the pseuds who pretend like they understand things they don't are 100x more harmful to the board than the memeposters
>>
>>8204566
He was well versed in ancient philosophy.

Not at all in modern philosophy. Do your research; he admitted to having little understanding of even Sartre or Hegel.

>Tell me what other direction could be taken

Nihilism.
Kierkegaardian leap of faith (well represented, not "muh fucking philosophical suicide")

"The pseuds"

You have just made this post all about rhetoric. You can justify literally anything with rhetoric. Your intellectual capacity displayed here is merely a "no ur rong u pseud"

Please defend Camus from criticism instead of stroking your ego. I do happen to actually understand Camus very well. I used to do fucking audiobooks on him and ran a huge page on him. He was basically an idol of mine for 2 years.
>>
>>8204582
>list things other than leap of faith, suicide, revolt
>uhh leap of faith?

Look man, I don't doubt you used to like Camus or that you did an audiobook of his (not sure what the fuck that's supposed to mean) but the trichotomy you criticize is sound.. nihilism doesn't really offer a solution to the absurd. Camus wrote extensively on nihilism
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.