[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So tell me /lit/, who's your favorite presocratic philosopher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Pythagore.jpg (66 KB, 380x549) Image search: [Google]
Pythagore.jpg
66 KB, 380x549
So tell me /lit/, who's your favorite presocratic philosopher and master of thought ?
>>
Democritus, of course.
>>
Why should I care about them?

Plato, Descartes, Kant, Schopenhauer and possibly Nietzsche did more than they ever did.
>>
>>8204394
That's funny. That's exactly what I said when I was invited to my parents funeral.
>>
>>8204394
lol
nice board
>>
>>8204394
You should care about them because they are the Begining.
Each thinker you are quoting learnt from them.
>>
>>8204398

Sorry lad.

You can have my parents for a while if you want.

>>8204399

>No rebuttal
>>
>>8204373
i like the sound of the name Anaximander.
>>
>>8204373
Pythagoras, of course. And if you disagree I'll beat you silly with a monad.
>>
>>8204401

By this logic, you should go all the way back until the beginning of time.

There's a line we can draw, at which point we can say "anything prior to it is largely superfluous."

The line is drawn at Plato.
>>
>>8204373
Anaximander
>>
>>8204431
This is true, the translator of many of their fragments admitted himself that philosophers hardly care about the presocratics, or the sophists, and that if they have some interest in them it is purely historical.
>>
>>8204431
They're not hard to read or understand at all. Just do it.
>>
>>8204373

Empedocles and Zeno
>>
>>8204460

Sorry, but life is short and strength limited; therefore, let us read good books.
>>
What's the best introduction to western philosophy?
>>
Thales. The master.
>>
Heraclitus off course
>>
>>8204373
Parmenides - messed me up seriously but ultimately for the better
>>
heraclitus no contest
>>
Parmenides is the correct answer.
>>
Xenophon
>>
heraclitus, obviously
>>
File: Homo_erectus.jpg (120 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Homo_erectus.jpg
120 KB, 1200x900
Prometheus
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.