[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"I wonder what it is between him and Walker" >"I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: hb_17_172.jpg (94 KB, 450x905) Image search: [Google]
hb_17_172.jpg
94 KB, 450x905
>"I wonder what it is between him and Walker"
>"I don't know what it is. I don't believe I want to know"

What did Stoner mean by this?
>>
I took it as homo relations
>>
Translation: "I have no idea what I'm doing"
>>
>>8203890
Same. Was thinking gay sex.
>>
>>8203887
I hate Edith
>>
You may think me nigger for saying this, but I think that shows that Stoner is aesthetically impaired: he equiates beauty with virtue and love, so as soon as he sees their common uglyness, he conjures the image of twisted homo love.
>>
>>8204818
He did come from a rural farming background. He's going to still have in-built prejudice.
>>
>>8203887
I took it as Stoner criticizing Lomax's character by off-handedly accusing him favouritism based on their commonality of being victimized by their disability. Lomax projected his own difficult life on Walker and in that empathy he would show Walker undeserved benevolence by practically handing him his diploma, regardless of whether or not he truly earned it.
This is what Stoner is accusing Lomax of, nepotism, giving his favored student an unfair advantage because he sees himself in Walker and in that empathy he tries to ease Walker's suffering as though it would ease his own difficult past

Stoner "doesn't want to think about it" because it's a moral lapse of an otherwise good man that he admires.
>>
>>8204879
nice post
>>
>>8204818
>I think that shows that Stoner is aesthetically impaired: he equiates beauty with virtue and love, so as soon as he sees their common uglyness, he conjures the image of twisted homo love.

not bad
>>
It's comforting to think that in a small way we are all a little bit like Stoner.

RIP brother
>>
>>8204806
lol omg same
>>
File: 1466793425171.jpg (122 KB, 441x905) Image search: [Google]
1466793425171.jpg
122 KB, 441x905
There I saved you the time
>>
>>8204929
The whole tone of this book is best summarized by the opening passage. Stoner was a man who has lived and died leaving barely an imprint on what little lives he affected, a vague, faceless memory and an icon of the deepest rooted fear most are bound to in this era.
>>
>"I have set my affairs on nothing."

What did Stirner mean by this?
>>
>>8204926
I felt like it was his respect for Lomax which made him not want to be aware of Lomax's failure / ugliness of character in any intimate way?
>>
>>8204806
friendly reminder he raped her on their wedding night.
>>
>>8205202
Did he?
>>
>>8205202
he slept on the couch their wedding night.
>>
>>8205213
>>8205210
sorry, I meant when he first fucked her, he ignored the fact that she wasn't into it at all.
>>
>>8205210
yeah

the only time she wanted it iirc was when she wanted a baby
>>
>>8205202
>>8205210
>>8205217
>>8205224
Nah, that's a stretch.
You couldn't say "William Stoner is a rapist."
That isn't a truthful statement.
Sure, you could pull it off on tumblr, but only because tumblr distorts the truth. By tumblr standards I've been "raped"

He forces himself on her, she doesn't resist him, she "wants to be a good wife" and doesn't say no. He doesn't abuse her, or degrade her, or ignore her refusal. He also doesn't sign a fucking waiver of consent like some tumblr teens act like people should do.

It isn't by any means romantic or intimate, but to pull the rape card is dishonest and diminishes the significance of the term, and is offensive to people who have actually been raped
>>
>>8205248
>everything i disagree with is tumblr

meh
>>
>>8205250
>maybe I can meme my way into being right
"unhappy sex = rape" is tumblr as fuck. you literally couldn't get more tumblr than that.
>>
>>8205273
we heard you the first time.
>>
>>8205286
sorry, it's hard to tell whether or not you actually paid attention or just dismissed it as "mansplaining" because the answer exceeded your personal word count.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.