[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were the stuff one should know about kindle paperwhite?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
What were the stuff one should know about kindle paperwhite? I remember something about a new firmware or flahsing some new OS and using Calibre to access epub and stuff. Anyone have a wiki page or an infographic detailing the process and stuff? Is it still a thing?
>>
bumperino
>>
>>8203763
Also interested here. Not sure if i want to get a kindle paperwhite or a kobo glo hd
>>
>>8204112
>kobo glo hd

Pretty happy with mine. Works out of the box with calibre and any file format you can pirate including cbz and cbr.
>>
Bump for interest
>>
There's not much to know. You can read all formats on all of them, kindle requires some formatting. Though if you're downloading epubs, you'll be able to get mobi too. I see a ton of cheap kindles on Craigslist, not so much the other types. Get whatever you want.
>>
I'm usually not too happy with basement dweller OSes. The software on the kindle is not very invasive and doesn't seem worth the effort to replace. Converting from epub to the kindle's AZW3 is easy. I sometimes also *gasp* purchase books from it for authors I want to support.

however I've used the software on the kindle fire type devices and it sucks. The regular e-ink kindles work nice though.
>>
A lot of autists love to talk about how it's better to get readers that support epub, not understanding that the kindle-supported .AZW format is just an epub in a drm "wrapper", and can be converted in seconds (in fact, converts automatically) when you transfer to the kindle with calibre. It will never, ever be an issue, and there will never be books you can't read or formatting issues.

The real, actual downside to kindle is the relative price, as you can get a kobo with similar specs for cheaper almost always.

And of course, kindle cannot be expanded with an SD card so if like me you like to read manga on it, if you want to fit more than 20 or so volumes at a time on it, don't go for kindle.

I say that as a happy kindle paperwhite user (I just rotate manga I've read)
>>
You should know that you better not know people who work at amazon or people that know people that work at amazon. Because some day your neighbour might tell you what you searched for under your bedsheets, like mine did and your whole neighbourhood knows about your interests and then you get dirty looks at the bakery because they know about your erotic novel interests.
>>
>>8204765
Dat pic is damn adorable.
>>
>>8203763
The backlight takes the most energy. Also "weeks without charging up" is also bullshit even in basic kindle.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.