[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
What went right?
>>
>>8203461
He had good influences - Lafferty, Wolfe, Alan Moore, etc.
>>
He had some works, like Sandman and American Gods, that at the time felt like something unique and wholly different from other fantasy or graphic novels of the time. The world of Sandman was a pretty interesting one, I'll give him that. Unfortunately he's exhausted all of his great ideas and now writes really dull shit.
>>
the money. the money went right.
>>
>>8203461
Tim Burtoning a form of media that had not yet been Burtonised.
>>
He's not bad, but not good.

All of his characters are Neil Gaiman. All of the trees are Neil Gaiman Trees. All of the houses are Neil Gaiman houses. The sky is Neil Gaiman. The clouds are Neil Gaiman. Neil Gaiman Neil Gaiman. Neil Gaiman.

Many people find it appealing for the sake of familiarity, or simply because they like him as a person.

I think it's just sloppy storytelling.
>>
>>8203539
True enough, but in the meantime, we're left with Sandman and American Gods. And Good Omens. And Neverwhere (the novel, the TV show was shit). And Coraline. And that one Sandman light novel he made with the NES and SNES Final Fantasy cover art dude, about japanese foxes and whatnot.

I doubt he's exhausted all of his great ideas though. It's just that he's locked them, now that Palmer, an ultra feminist, has him by the balls. There's no way he could write some of the scenes you find in American Gods when he has to live like that.
>>
>>8203572
You really need to read Neverwhere.
>>
>>8203573
He's had a kid too, which changes your perspective on things. Think three of his last four projects have been YA or those big illustrated books.
>>
>>8203588

Because it breaks the stereotype, or laughably reinforces it?
>>
>>8203621
It heavily breaks it.

It's chock-full of characters and places that are extremely unique from one another.
>>
>>8203573
whilst palmer is an ultra feminist she is not the
>boys are gross and so is sex
kind of feminist, hell, she gets to even raunchier stuff in her own music videos
>>
I heard he likes them young. Young to the point where one we face trouble with the law. What I mean is that he likes little girls, and I don't mean midgets. Well, allegedly he likes baby clams but I've never seen him slurp one down myself. He's probably a nice guy, though, I'd like to hang with him -- in the gallows.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.