[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it as hard as they say, /lit/? I think it's a bit dumb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: Kant.jpg (62 KB, 432x668) Image search: [Google]
Kant.jpg
62 KB, 432x668
Is it as hard as they say, /lit/?

I think it's a bit dumb for so many people to sing Kant's praises in regards to Western Philosophy, yet never to have read his work or studied his philosophy.

I plan to do just that.
>>
File: 1433983318193-0.jpg (311 KB, 500x710) Image search: [Google]
1433983318193-0.jpg
311 KB, 500x710
>>8203254

I think Schopenhauer said that so long as you haven't read Kant, you are confined to intellectual infancy.

So you should probably give it a shot.
>>
Is there any necessary prior reading for Kant?
>>
File: Implying.png (163 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Implying.png
163 KB, 512x384
>>8203254

>Is it as hard as they say, /lit/?

No, Kant just couldn't write for shit.

You'll probably have to labour over paragraphs, and even whole pages at a time, to find the kernel of whatever he was trying to say within.

Nor is this a minor undertaking. You don't just say, "I'll spend a week on Kant and his philosophy." Realistically you need weeks/months and, as any serious student of philosophy knows, philosophy is a lifelong pursuit.
>>
>>8203264

Plato, at a stretch.

Otherwise no. By all means, there's plenty of subsequent reading you can do to supplement it; but realistically, the lion's share of Western philosophy merely rides on Plato's/Kant's coattails.

Read Schopenhauer after, then Nietzsche.
>>
No, but he's not a simple read.
>>8203264
Disregard >>8203268
He has no idea what he's talking about.
Read some Hume and maybe a bit from Descartes Meditations.
>>
File: i literally kant.jpg (18 KB, 212x320) Image search: [Google]
i literally kant.jpg
18 KB, 212x320
I've heard that the Oxford Reader's Companion is really useful if you're having trouble, so maybe pick that up, idk.
>>
>>8203271

>Hume and maybe a bit from Descartes Meditations.

Superfluous.
>>
>>8203274

>if you're having trouble

Shouldn't happen if you have a triple-digit IQ.
>>
>>8203274
Oxford reader isn't very good in this case as it's mostly a collection of articles over topics the critique covers and assumes familiarity with the critique already.
This is better https://www.amazon.com/Kants-Transcendental-Idealism-Interpretation-Defense/dp/0300102666
>>8203276
>Superfluous
He writes directly in response to Hume's ideas most of the time and his conception on the "I" relies heavily on Descartes.
>>
Don't listen to these other guys.

Schopenhauer, in his preface to The World as Will and Representation, specifically warns against any and all second-hand presentations of Kant's ideas - namely on account of all those perfidious Hegelians.

You'll just have to actually do the work yourself.
>>
>>8203265

>No, Kant just couldn't write for shit.

This. Finnegans Wake is more comprehensible than Critique of Pure Reason, as times.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.