[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some /lit/ tv shows? pic related makes a lot of literary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: penny-dreadful-season-3-key-art.jpg (855 KB, 625x850) Image search: [Google]
penny-dreadful-season-3-key-art.jpg
855 KB, 625x850
what are some /lit/ tv shows?
pic related makes a lot of literary references
im halfway through season two and ive already read 4 books because of it
>>
BLACK SAILS, ARRRRRRRR
>>
game of thrones
>>
Gilmore Girls
and
Bojack Horseman has an obsession with Ibsen
>>
true detective season 1 plagiarized a lot from thomas ligotti

mad men had a bunch of literary references and had a catcher in the rye subplot

the wire often gets compared to a greek drama.
>>
Vikings. Watch out I'm about to sound like a pretentious faggot.

Michael Hirst (writer of The Borgias, The Tudors, Vikings) writes history very well. He writes these tiny micro transactions of culture that different peoples living in the British Isles and Scandinavia may have had. For example, in one scene a Viking woman was performing a ritual to make the land she walked on fertile. She did so while some Britons looked on, completely appalled. I don't know of any instances of this happening in history, but the way the scene played out made it feel authentic, so that the show- while it does take some liberties with history- retains an authentic feeling. I realize you asked for /lit/ shows and this is more history than literature, but if you haven't given the show a shot, that's my suggestion.
>>
Hannibal.
>>
>>8202356
i wish i could watch the wire but it's so fucking boring
>>
>>8202151

Rectify is something I feel a lot of /lit/ anons would enjoy, very patrician character study on the same levels as The Wire and The Sopranos.
>>
The Prisoner is actually pretty kafkaesque
>>
File: char_52699.jpg (19 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_52699.jpg
19 KB, 210x240
>>8202486
>>
>>8202467
Once you get about halfway through the first season that gets a lot better
>>
>>8202366

Vikings is a shitty, ahistorical soap opera.
>>
Six feet under
>>
>>8202151
best most litworthy and well written show is Yes, Minister. Sir Humphrey's lines are some of the best ever crafted for television, and the wit is magnificent. other than that, i'm hard pressed to think of an actually acceptable TV show. most of them are trash, Arrested Development is hilarious, but i don't think that's what you're looking for. My suggestion is to get into something old, shit these days is rather poor for mental stimulation compared to the quality that literature provides.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
here's a clip from Yes, Minister as an example.
>>
>>8202377
ya
>>
Twilight Zone, maybe Black Books (not a great show, but it's not horrible)
>>
Gilmore Girls.
>>
>>8202366
>Vikings

More like Cuckings. And this isn't even a bait or joke. The show is extremely full of cucking.
>>
The worst of literature is slightly above the best of television.
>>
>>8202911
Wut. Are you using that word correctly?
>>
File: image_27.jpg (193 KB, 600x739) Image search: [Google]
image_27.jpg
193 KB, 600x739
>>8202911
The widespread use of the word cuck is the worst thing that ever happened to this site
>>
>>8202151
Bored to Death, it's really underrated you should give it a try.
>>
>>8202467

The McNulty/Bunk banter is top tier mate.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.