[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some good emotional books. I could use a good cry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1465679317985.jpg (21 KB, 642x459) Image search: [Google]
1465679317985.jpg
21 KB, 642x459
what are some good emotional books. I could use a good cry
>>
do people actually cry at books?

am I just a shell void of human emotion?
>>
>>8202099
I'm kind of a bitch tbqh
>>
>>8202074
My twisted world - the story of Elliot roger
I'm 24 pages into it rn and i can feel the bad stuff creeping around the corner
>>
Crime & Punishment
The Sound & The Fury
maybe King Lear
>>
>>8202113
read the sound and the fury and didn't find it all that sad.
>>
>>8202135
You're either a robot or you didn't understand half of it
>>
>>8202139
what parts did you find sad ?
>>
>>8202150
Well, Quentin's entire depressed suicidal chapter hurt p bad

But the clincher for me was when his brother (blanking on name) agreed to let Caddy see her baby, and then after taking her money just drives by holding the baby out for a second and then rolls on off

The entire first three chapters are just full of such insecurity, decay, and misunderstanding. The whole book is just a powerful piece
>>
>>8202165
lol I thought the baby part was funny. the characters were shit. they weren't convincing at all. especially quentin and the mom. overacting 101
>>
The Age of Innocence by Wharton
The House of Mirth by Wharton
Mason & Dixon by Pynchon
The End of the Affair by Greene
The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro
>>
>>8202187
nice you named 2 that made me tear up already. remains and dixon
>>
The only two novels I can think of that made me tear up are The Remains of the Day and Jude the Obscure.
>>
I cry at almost every book that I read, as long as I enjoy the book itself.
>>
>>8202187
Of the two Wharton books, does it matter which one is read first? I assume Innocence because you listed it first.
>>
>>8203500
Order doesn't really matter. Both are equally fantastic but unrelated to one another. Emotionally, THoM is more of a punch in the gut, so if that's what you're looking for, read it first. TAoI has more of a slow burning sensation of regret and longing.
>>
>>8202074
My diary desu, tbqh
>>
>>8202074
viktor frankl is good
>>
>>8202187
Also, I'm not sure how well it holds up to adult scrutiny (and I've honestly avoided learning if it does), but Where the Red Fern Grows made me cry when I was a child.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.