[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a greater passage written in English than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Has there ever been a greater passage written in English than the final sequence of The Dead by James Joyce?
>>
>>8201820
I honestly don't think so.
>>
>>8201820
The entirety of Finnegans Wake.
>>
Yeah the end of Ulysses
>>
>>8201820
Not that I know of. I feel cold just thinking about it.
>>
Got me
>>
>>8201820
Now that we've got the best passage picked out, is there any sentence written in English greater than
>Thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, and enterprise of great pitch and moment with this regard their currents turn awry and lose the name of action
>>
What was the snow representing?
Equalizing force since it covers the living and the dead?
>>
>>8201820
The Passage about the Hookers in Portrait is at least on par.

Several passages in Metamorphoses are that good.

A Gene Wolfe passage might be my favorite

Her eyes, as blue as the sky above Madhya Pradesh, the sparkling blue sky of the egg,looked up at him, but he couldno longer look into them, they retreated from his own, and it came to him quite suddenly that Lucifer, in falling, must have fallen up, into the fires and the coldness of space, never again to see the warm blues and browns and greens of Earth: I was watching Satan fall as lightning from heaven.
>>
>>8202297
It represented frozen water and nothing more.
>>
>>8201820
it was just like Hamlet holding Yorick's skull but with better writing

that's right, Jimmy > Willy
>>
>>8201820
The end of bartleby
>>
no that is as good as it's ever been
>>
wow snowflakes wow woo so deep
>>
>>8202687
You can make anything sound ridiculous if you try. Fuck off.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.