[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Atlas Shrugged
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 662.jpg (185 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
662.jpg
185 KB, 299x475
Is it worth a read?
>>
not even for the memes
>>
Not unless you're 14 and/or wear a fedora.
>>
>>8201385
It's funny. I've been on this board for a while and not once have I ever seen someone actually explain why this book is shit without memeing.
>>
>>8201395
formally, it's got zero merit, the woman can't write; as a collection of ideas, it's laughable, if you want to read apologies for egoism you would be better off with coherent philosophers it's not worth non-meme replies.
>>
>>8201407
this still wasnt really an explanation
>>
>>8201407
why does /pol/ suck this book's dick then
>>
>>8201421
Because it reinforces their ideology and is easy to digest
>>
>>8201413
read it and make up your own mind, then. i'm sure you'll love the fifty page long speeches.

>>8201421
because /pol/ has shit taste, they don't read books.
>>
I read it sometime last summer. It took a few weeks I think, and I regret it. There's nothing that great about it. My argument is not on the book itself - but that your time is better spent reading better books. But read it if you want, fuck you, like I give a shit.
>>
I think it's fantastic.

t. Currently reading it
>>
Anyone else here get paid to Rand-post? I also get paid to Stirner post, but not as much. I signed a non-disclosure agreement, but fuck it. I just got a sweet job through my uncle as a part of the creative staff of an advertising company, so I don't need to shill anymore.
>>
>>8201487
Can I ask how old you are?

Not trying to be a dick, just wondering. I was like 15 when I read Atlas Shrugged, and thought it was very profound. Got real into Ayn Rand for a couple months. Blew through Fountainhead and Anthem. Acted like a giant asshole for a little bit. You know, really embraced it all.

Now I look back and realize that not only was I an idiot (and, let's face it, probably still am), but her books really suck.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 620x387
>>8201498
>tfw 22 years old
>tfw studied economics and hired right out of college
>tfw Greenspan, our former Fed chairman, was heavily influenced by Ayn's philosophy and writings
>tfw most people don't realize how Ayn has played an integral part in our day-to-day lives
>>
>>8201520
>implying ayn rand's influence on america is some obscure secret

everyone on /lit/'s watched all watched over by machines of loving grace, why do you think we bother to reply to these threads?
>>
>>8201520
woah. 22? I hadn't realized. I guess you're entitled to some respect, then.
>>
Tried to read Atlas Shrugged, couldn't get through the beginning. I've heard tons of shit and tons of praise.

However, I did read Anthem and it was kind of brilliant. So given that I am someone who enjoyed Anthem, should I finish Atlas Shrugged?
>>
A man chooses a slave obeys
>>
>>8201363
Only if you're going to live forever. Otherwise invest your time better.
>>
>>8201520
So, you haven't been working long, then?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.