[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what would you consider the essential classic literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1465510283132.jpg (3 MB, 1275x2025) Image search: [Google]
1465510283132.jpg
3 MB, 1275x2025
So what would you consider the essential classic literature? I was thinking about getting an anthology of english literature so I can have access to a wide selection of greats and not spend a ton of money on a bunch of people's individual works. Would you say that it's really important to understand the classics, and that the classics necessarily have anything more or less to offer than our modern day literature?
>>
>>8200385
Unless your head is in the sand you can guess what the essential classic literature. It is what has come down from hundreds, sometimes thousands (as in Homer, Plato) of years of history, the canon.
>>
>>8200407
As to your other questions I would argue that classics are, on the whole, more worthy than modern day literature. The fact that they have survived, by being chosen to be painstakingly copied from crumbling papyrus and codices by scholars, and enduring still in our minds, centuries later, suggests that many of the old classics contain eternal truths. In this manner, they are more worthy.
>>
>>8200407
Well, you know, I made this thread asking the essential literature is.
>>
>>8200476
Tripcodes are there for the rare instances in which the OP needs to remain identifiable throughout the thread.

They are not for you attach your name to every post. You would know that they are not encouraged if you were to lurk moar before posting.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.