[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing Resources Dump Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: Descartes_hedonism.jpg (11 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
Descartes_hedonism.jpg
11 KB, 450x253
Do you guys have any resources to share when it comes to writing? Help the ones who didn't go to college for this out.

>inb4 just read
Alright, which books would be the most effective to read in order to improve my writing?

I personally don't have much but here's one that I liked
http://writingcenter.fas.harvard.edu/pages/tips-grammar-punctuation-and-style
>>
OP I've wasted so much goddamn money on writing books when all it really came down to were these:
The First Five Pages & The Plot Thickens by Noah Lukeman. This guy had seen so many shitty manuscripts, he got fed up and wrote these two guides. The first is about the big do's and don'ts, and the best way to present a completed manuscript. The second is more in-depths and makes you dig a lot at what you're writing.

Now as for prose itself, the essential book is The Elements of Style. The latest edition will do. Good luck with your writing anon.
>>
>>8198402
I found a copy of the First Five Pages and the fourth edition of The Elements of Style (i just used the library genesis)

If you have a link to The Plot Thickens that would be greatly appreciated

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations, this is the type of stuff I've been looking for. I wish you luck in your writing as well
>>
>>8198379
I don't think "resources" (or even going to college) are going to help you.

The art of writing is entirely self-taught, through reading a lot of quality books.
>>
>>8198438
This said, here's an interesting read:

http://wikilivres.ca/wiki/Politics_and_the_English_Language
>>
I forgot to mention- the writing advice books published by Writer's Digest are not that great, imho. Try any other books before those.
>>
File: Anton_P_Chekhov.jpg (51 KB, 436x600) Image search: [Google]
Anton_P_Chekhov.jpg
51 KB, 436x600
>>8198379
I think reading Chekhov is the best thing you can do. When you get the idea and you can ''imitate'' the spirit of his descriptions, you'll be able to write correctly (5,5/10). The next step is to find your own style by reading a lot and having some juicy ideas.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.