[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1466385495258.gif (2 MB, 318x241) Image search: [Google]
1466385495258.gif
2 MB, 318x241
What's the point of literature?
>>
It is the point
>>
L'art pour l'art, you pleb.
>>
>>8198140
wilde pls go. formalism has been debunked for ages
>>
fiat ars, pereat mundus
>>
>>8198150
>debunked
Literature isn't some science that linearly progresses, you plebshit.
>>
euquna'mie, Jús'tass
>>
>>8198168
i dont care, fuck u (and kant)
>>
>>8198121
To tell a story.
>>
File: santa is not real.png (94 KB, 825x441) Image search: [Google]
santa is not real.png
94 KB, 825x441
>>8198121
Literature is because when you think of something extra fuckin dank, and you write it down so you can show it to your mates later.
>>
>>8198173
>falling for the meme narrative

honestly this meme pisses me off a lot, the uncoupling of narrative and the written word happened way way before than mimesis and painting so why do people still buy this shit? it's unreal.
>>
There is no point of anything.
Life is pointless.
>>
>>8198172
Fuck off
>>8198185
>>>/r/4chan
>>
>>8198224
>everyone is a redditor but me
>>
>>8198168
>Literature isn't some science that linearly progresses

but formalism held the view that it did. thus you share the very same view that it is 'debunked'
>>
>>8198236
A picture from /b/ from this year and with that filename could only come from a redditor.
>>8198241
Not all formalism did.
>>
>>8198241
l'art pour l'art in no way implies formalism you pseud
>>
>>8198251
yes, it implies
>>
>>8198251
l'art pour l'art is always formalist, but not all formalism is l'art pour l'art
>>
To tell stories, to communicate eloquently and remotely to as many others, for as close to an infinite amount of time, as possible.
>>
art, and therefore literature, frees us to a degree from servitude to our will
>>
>>8198121
readin novels is fun you can have alone anywhere
if its non-fiction then it is informative and you learn stuff which is also fun and makes your thoughts more interesting to yourself
its not that complicated mang
>>
>>8198121
Communication
>>
>>8198281
Bingo
>>
>>8198315
t. Schopenhauer
>>
>>8198362
>>8198150

structuralist boneheads!
>>
l'avive l'arte!
>>
to send a coded message of confirmation and reassurance to those who found something by themselves but cant confirm it openly in their surroundings.
>>
>>8198224

>>>/lit/
>>
>>8200940
That's it, anon! Under the flagpole, after school. I'm going to kick your butt.
>>
makes you happy and you can lose yourself for a while
>>
To communicate things that are not easily communicated otherwise. Thus they are composed, and printed, and packed into a convenient hand held form. So you can pick them up and digest what you otherwise would never here. Writing gives you all the time to not only edit and clarify your meaning to the greatest extent, but it allows you to find better or more substantial ways to say things that give them more depth or meaning. Imagine what Moby Dick would sound like if someone walked up, told you to call him Ishmael and started rambling. No way in hell would the greatest speaker in history shit out the equivalent of that book even with great practice. The best you could hope for is that Moby Dick is part of an oral tradition, and you'll hear distorted bits and pieces memorized and passed down through generations of people.

Until we can meld to each others minds and instantly understand our experiences, trains of thoughts arguments, etc. we're stuck with a bunch of text on paper. Even when we can do that books will still be a thing because the creative process of creation is in itself something of value to people.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.