[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>That chapter where Fantine begins selling her body and decides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 81cTdQnylAL.jpg (464 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
81cTdQnylAL.jpg
464 KB, 1920x2560
>That chapter where Fantine begins selling her body and decides to becomes a prostitute

What's unnerved you lately on the book you're reading
>>
File: 9780140448153.jpg (40 KB, 425x650) Image search: [Google]
9780140448153.jpg
40 KB, 425x650
It's making me angry.
>>
>>8197329
why anon
>>
>>8197329
i'm reading this too, enjoying it so far.
>>
>>8197349
>>8197381

I hate how incomplete their views are by virtue of having lost all of their shit. It's so frustrating reading about these guys' beliefs when you usually just get less than a full page of their own alleged words. Aside from that, I hate how cryptic some of them write, the difficulty of which is only exacerbated by having such little material to read
>>
>>8197300
All the stuff about her hair being gold and teeth pearls fucked me up.
>>
>>8197414

The way Hugo built up to that was really shocking and powerful.
>>
Page 120 of The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Tomas and Tereza's unromantic, undramatic, and out of the blue deaths kinda screwed with me. Also how Franz seemed cold and uncaring to all that, only stating his distaste for cemeteries.

No spoilers or spoiler tagging would be appreciated, I plan on reading the rest.
>>
>>8197300
> Blood Meridian
> The kid and the ex-priest turn against The Judge, trying to kill him and failing and then try to hide out in an animal's carcass
> The Judge stalks them from a distance in the desert, trying to convince them to return and leave their hiding space, knowing full well they're still around
> all while he drags a retarded man around like a sniffer dog

I've been pretty torn about the book overall but it does manage to effectively create an unsettling tension.
>>
>>8197402
>not telepathically receiving the entire works of Parmenides and Heraclitus (only two worth reading) from the cosmic superconsciousness
>>
>>8198116
UMMM, SPOILER MUCH???
>>
>>8197300
I remember the part with the riots and all the fighting and dying going on on the barricades being pretty traumatizing back when I read it as a teen.
>>
IJ
Madame Psychosis talking about how she wound up in AA w/r/t her watching her foster dad rape his vegetable daughter every night and having to clean up after him
the next AA speaker who says she wound up there because she had to start drinking after accepting that the baby she'd given birth to while addicted to coke had actually always been dead and she'd been in denial about it and was actually carrying it around in a blanket the whole time thinking it was alive
>>
>Faust leaves Gretchen
>Implied he becomes some sort of shameless libertine for a while
>Gretchen kills the baby in his absence out of fear/shame

Ree...ree...
>>
>>8199073
Fuck I love that book so much
>>
>>8199494
This part had me almost pulling my hair out
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.