[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>age >location >current book you're reading, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: 1466307706283.gif (3 MB, 222x379) Image search: [Google]
1466307706283.gif
3 MB, 222x379
>age
>location
>current book you're reading, and how do you like it
>>
File: ass_prony.jpg (196 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
ass_prony.jpg
196 KB, 1280x854
Vienna
Sekida Training / Zen Training

I'm not far, but I really want to get into meditation and this was recommended. Seems reasonable.
Technically, I have started a lot of books, but most are textbooks.
>>
File: Digital_Style.jpg (12 KB, 172x168) Image search: [Google]
Digital_Style.jpg
12 KB, 172x168
>18 - x
> l o n d o n
>started reading "do androids dream of electric sheep" before I had exams and just picked it up again. Very interesting so far.
>>
paris
The Bride of Ice and Some ether
>>
Argentina
Asimov's Robots of Dawn.

Mid book, I had already read the two previous books (Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun).
Don't know if the word is 'disappointed' but I felt them like a Sherlock Holmes book mixed with Agatha Christie, I wasn't expecting that though I like them so far.
>>
London
Uh reading a lot atm:
One Way Street
Portrait of a Lady
The Third Reich (Bolano)
Collected Yeats
The Waves
>>
US
On the behest of someone from this board I took up Herzog's "Conquest of the Useless" and I got to say I'm enjoying it immensely.
>>
>27
>Memphis, TX
>Deipnosophistae fragments

I thought I'd only find bants between great Greek figures, but it has some very good biographical data and literary criticism in it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (353 KB, 825x1308) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
353 KB, 825x1308
Brazil
A Confederacy of Dunces

One of the funniest and wittiest books I've ever read. Plus, somehow Ignatius is /lit/ personified (even though the book was written in '63).

An excerpt:
“With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy.” Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
>[...]
>Merchants and charlatans gained control of Europe, calling their insidious gospel “The Enlightenment.” The day of the locust was at hand, but from the ashes of humanity there arose no Phoenix. The humble and pious peasant, Piers Plowman, went to town to sell his children to the lords of the New Order for purposes that we may call questionable at best. (See Reilly, Ignatius J., Blood on Their Hands: The Crime of It All, A study of some selected abuses in sixteenth-century Europe, a Monograph, 2 pages, 1950, Rare Book Room, Left Corridor, Third Floor, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, New Orleans 18, Louisiana. Note: I mailed this singular monograph to the library as a gift; however, I am not really certain that it was ever accepted. It may well have been thrown out because it was only written in pencil on tablet paper.)

>The gyro had widened; The Great Chain of Being had snapped like so many paper clips strung together by some drooling idiot; death, destruction, anarchy, progress, ambition, and self-improvement were to be Piers’ new fate. And a vicious fate it was to be: now he was faced with the perversion of having to GO TO WORK.
>>
File: the_Art_of_the_Japanese_Book.jpg (24 KB, 300x485) Image search: [Google]
the_Art_of_the_Japanese_Book.jpg
24 KB, 300x485
>>8197246
>26
>Dallas
>The Art of the Japanese Book by Jack Ronald Hillier. It's beautifully done, every page is filled with something interesting and important, but I know I'm not going to remember a tenth of it.
>>
File: 10.jpg (87 KB, 871x490) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
87 KB, 871x490
>24
>Montevideo, Uruguay
>Ghost and the Japanese: Cultural Experience in Japanese Death Legends; Kwaidan; Stories and Studies of Strange Things; The Ways of Paradox and Other Essays.
The first two books are similar, but the former has a more theoretical approach and starts with a rather long introduction Japanese culture and study of legends, nearly half of the book is devoted to this, leaving the third and last chapter devoted to short stories and commentaries.
Kwaidan is just a collection of old japanese legends. Very good so far.
TWoP is a collection of Quine's essays. I had to read Posits and Reality for a class, so I decided to keep reading the other essays. I've liked everything I read, although I don't agree completely with some of his points. Interestingly enough, the second essay, On a Supposed Antinomy, has a "solution" to the unexpected hanging paradox which I don't find very convincing.
>>
>>8197395
kys pretentious tripfag undergrad faggot
>>
File: 20151221_145615.jpg (268 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20151221_145615.jpg
268 KB, 1280x720
Sudan
I'm not reading anything right now. The last book I read was Zorba the Greek.
>>
>>8197395
at the behest*, ق.
>>
>>8197246
memphis tn
as i lay dying and homage to catalonia

i like faulker's prose although it can be hard to follow sometimes

catalonia is interesting overall. right now orwell's mostly talking about battle, but i prefer hearing about the political aspects of the war.
>>
>>8197246
>18
>Yellowknife, NWT

Currently reading my first Jane Austen book, and I can't believe I was spooked into believing it was a novel for girls. This book is hilarious, and I plan on reading everything by her in the near future.
>>
i have such a us-centric view of the world until i come to threads like this and see how many foreign people frequent this site.
>>
File: Storm.jpg (209 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Storm.jpg
209 KB, 1600x1200

Long Island NY

East of Eden: I'm around 300 pages in and curious about where all of this background is leading up to. The downside is the length of the book, it has taken a little dedication.
>>
>18
>Italy
>Bertrand Russell - A History of western philosophy, just started it
>>
UAE
Looking for Jake and other stories, an anthology by China Mieville. I've only just started but I enjoyed Perdido Street Station even though the world building got a bit mastubatory, hoping to post about him on lit when I'm done with more of his stuff
>>
>>8197451
>20
>Sudan
>I'm not reading anything right now. The last book I read was Zorba the Greek.
يا زول
>>
>>8197531
I tried Perdido Street Station and could not get past sex with giant bugs. Silliness.
>>
File: dfw no.png (121 KB, 250x310) Image search: [Google]
dfw no.png
121 KB, 250x310
>its a narcissism thread
>>
>>8197423
You might like Inventing New Orleans- it's a collection from when Hearn was in New Orleans.
>>
>>8197537
>>>8197531 (You)
>I tried Perdido Street Station and could not get past sex with giant bugs. Silliness.
Tbqh it grossed me out a bit but I was doing the audiobook version before getting the actual copy so I just sat through it
>>
>>8197542
Not entirely, I enjoy reading through the other posts.
>>
>25
>Dover, NH

just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. will start either On the Road or Slaughterhouse 5 tomorrow

F&L in LV was really fun. The Hangover of books imo
>>
>>8197542
You get some good recs desu
>>
>>8197551
Considering the author looks like he's in Libkin Park, it felt like he was pushing a genderfluid anything-goes narrative and it ruined the fun if the rest of the great worldbuilding and lore
>>
>>8197561
>>>8197551 (You)
>Considering the author looks like he's in Libkin Park, it felt like he was pushing a genderfluid anything-goes narrative and it ruined the fun if the rest of the great worldbuilding and lore

Kek, there's so much more going on I didn't care much about the bug thing. Does that sort of thing usually turn you off in novels or was it just his unique take on it?
>>
>19
>USA
>Omensetter's Luck

Liking it fairly well so far. Sometimes the prose feels overdone, sometimes it's amazing. It seems like it was written very methodically and that can be both a strength and a weakness in my opinion.
>>
seattle
Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars (reread)
Joanna Russ' The Female Man
>>
>>8197565
When he makes the protagonist a bugfucker, who other people in the fictional society don't even like, I can't get behind him. It makes the main character a weirdo, not somebody I'm pulling for, and therefore I lose interest in the story despite the impressive setting
>>
>19
>Southern California
>The Histories of Herodotus
It's not bad and pretty much a must-read for anyone interested in ancient history. Takes me back to the ancient history curriculum we did in the sixth grade. Nostalgia feels.

Your school might offer Waterfield's translation through ProQuest and I recommend that over Gutenberg's translation by Macauley.
>>
Male
Texas
For Whom The Bell Tolls

On the final chapter now, it's good the last few chapters leading up to the end is strong but I haven't enjoyed the book as much as I thought I would after reading his other stuff. Any suggestions for what I should read next? Something western or southern or Summer-y is what I'm looking for.
>>
>>8197418

>One of my favorite books of all time.

I'm currently reading Lolita. Definitely one of the strangest books I've read. Strange, because I'll laugh at something Humbert says even as I'm disgusted by it. The beautiful language and the dark subject matter can be disconcerting.
>>
File: 1454891713957.jpg (135 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1454891713957.jpg
135 KB, 500x373
>24
>Miami, FL
>The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge

It's really interesting and educational. A bit dense and hard to read but rewarding.
>>
>>8197610
If you enjoy humorous novels and find Lolita funny you should definitely check out Pale Fire if you haven't already. That and CoD are probably the two funniest novels I've read.
>>
New York
Just finished Steppenwolf for Herman Hesse a few hours ago. I appreciated the message and themes, but as far as the read itself goes I didn't enjoy it.
>>
>>8197542
>draws attention to himself
>to call other people narcissistic

wew
>>
>>8197667
>calling out others on their narcissism is narcissistic

by the way you're drawing attention to yourself you narcisistic cunt
>>
DFW, TX, USA
Canticle for Leibowitz

It's fun so far. Really scratches that apocalyptic itch I've been having. The stuff about copyists is really fascinating to think about. Also I've been surprised at how springy the dialogue is.
>>
File: dfw o baby.png (128 KB, 274x297) Image search: [Google]
dfw o baby.png
128 KB, 274x297
>>8197696
>DFW, TX, USA
>>
>20
>Ohio
>The Sound of Waves; it's a fast read and lovely thusfar 100 pages in
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 1024x683
>21
>DC
>Atlas Shrugged. It's honestly the most inspiring book I've ever read. The hate it receives from this board is unwarranted.
>>
Mex7c0
Blindness, by J. Saramago
Kind of slow paced so far, but I'm only about one quarter in.
>>
toronto capitol of the universe
what we talk about when we talk about love
3 stories in. no idea wtf is going on
>>
>>8197644
Try Demian instead. I liked it more than Steppenwolf.
>>
Vienna
Dharma Bums
Yes

>>8197282
Ah, shit pham. Me too. Did you check out any of the Zendos here?
>>
>>8197728
Alright Ayn stop deadposting
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 558x564) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 558x564
>>8197498
Kys, you uncultured swine
>>
>>8197498
It is notable that 4Chan mainly has US American users and almost none of those frequent /lit/
>>
California
Ham on The by Charles Bukowski and I like it
>>
>>8197246
Orlando
Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned

It's an alright collection, and I'll probably finish it soon. But it's just pretty middle-of-the-road contemporary lit.
>muh somewhat weird, shitty situation
>occaisionally interesting turns of phrase
>muh family problems
>muh unique moment of connection with family along with a pretty standard personal revelation
I'm planning to trade it in to a used bookstore. It's a very solid 6/10.
>>
>>8197498
Same here. I always forget that this board isn't exclusively American.
>>
Austin, Texas
The Hobbit

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/57055232-alice-mizuki
>>
File: 20160320_131049.jpg (163 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20160320_131049.jpg
163 KB, 640x480
Germany
Zauberberg

Very nice.
>>
>>8197769
well the fact that everyone speaks english reinforces that view. im surprised so many people from south america speak english fluently. i can speak some spanish but not enough to maintain a conversation on a message board.
>>
>>8197886
This board should have flags displayed like on /int/, and have generals for each major language (including Latin for the board's autists).
>>
>>8198350
If the only relevant message boards were in Spanish, you'd become quickly fluent in Spanish.
>>
File: tumblr_o8hf1odHrb1uz6h7to1_1280.jpg (169 KB, 639x639) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8hf1odHrb1uz6h7to1_1280.jpg
169 KB, 639x639
>>8197246
>19
>denver
>george's mother, it's pretty bad but also only like 80 brief pages so you may as well read it
>>
>>8197246
taiwan
>Ulysses
I just finished up with Portrait, I kind of powered through the end of it(otw to Finnegans Wake) even though it was the best part. I'm on page 10 of Ulysses, and I'm already enjoying it and quite excited for the story.
>>
Dallas, TX
"Morning Star"
Loving it. The actual prose is kinda tryhard, but the plot is too damn engaging.
>>
>>8197246
US
The Letters of William Gaddis

So many fucking letters to his mom. And the book doesn't even have all of them. Sheri Martinelli wasn't kidding when she called him a mama's boy. Still, it's pretty interesting to see what his life was like and how excited by everything he seemed to be in his younger years.
>>
Germany
Sternentagebücher (lem)
Like it
>>
>>8198473
>tryhard
You left high school twelve years ago. Keep this idiocy in gym class
>>
>>8197246
>25
>wellington, new zealand
>shame, salman rushdie

2 chapters in and it's excellent
>>
"the six"
Platonic Dialogues (Symposium)
>tfw no bf
Infinite Jest
>a week or so ahead of infinite summer's schedule, i sorta hate my life but at least i'm not suffering like the boys at ennet house
Vineland
>born in '96
>feeling nostalgia for the 80's nostalgia for the 60's
>>
Seattle
Hyperion

Been on a long Stephen King kick reading the Dark Tower series and the Stand, it's amazing to remember that authors can be eloquent. Simmons has six distinct writing styles (one for each character) and keeps an Asimov feel while being modern sci-fi.
>>
File: VOZaZZi.gif (1 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
VOZaZZi.gif
1 MB, 500x282
>20
>Edmonton
>Have a few pages left of The Pale King
TPK has been my least favorite book of DFW's that I have read so far but I guess I can't be too hard on it since it's unfinished. Flashes of brilliance bogged down by stuff that probably wouldn't/shouldn't have made the final cut make it kind of frustrating.
>>
File: 150430_a.jpg (52 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
150430_a.jpg
52 KB, 640x1136
>>8197743
No, I was told there isn't much here.
You may write me btw. www.AxiomsOfChoice.org
>>
Budapest
Chinese philosophy volume I

It's great!
>>
File: Shitbook.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Shitbook.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>25
>Brittany
>Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Paul Torday

This book is a steaming pile of shit tbqh.
I somewhat had a good memory of another book of his, Wilberforce but this is poorly written, full of clichés, there's a cringeworthy forced romance in it and the satire is only slightly funny when he depicts politics.
Ugh, really struggling to finish it, maybe twenty pages left.

DO. NOT. REC
>>
>>8197246
San Diego
Library of America's Ashbery collection - impossible to understand but still quite enjoyable, I'm loving it tbqh
>>
>>8199003
also a collection of italian short stories because im trying to learn the language

reading a collection of hg wells short stories and they're actually really good. Meanwhile was one of the best drama pieces ive read. the characters were pretty well written which isnt something i would have expected. i wasnt really a fan of Time Machine surprisingly, but i can see why it would be his most famous novella.
can anyone rec me some early sci-fi, something like frankenstein.

also a shit load of textbooks but thats pretty boring stuff
>>
>>8197315
how did you do? did you do a levels?
>>
>>8198981

>Library of America's Ashbery collection

nice taste for a dude as young as you are

you gon make it, son
>>
>>8197527
be careful mio amico. its certainly biased. you probably no but just in case.
>>
España
The Iliad. I'll probably finish it today. Love it. As funny as the Odyssey, but with more emphasis on characters, their feelings, the human condition and shit, while the Odyssey is more of an adventure book. Also similes are great. Seriously considering learning ancient greek desu.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 1080x1080
Shanghai, China (from Los Angeles though)
Phenomology of Spirit
>>
>>8199003
MODS MODZ MODS MODZ MODS MODZ
>>
>>8199089
calm down mate, also what about this guy >>8197315, assuming x>0
>>
>22
>Portugal
>Thoreau's Walden

It's pretty good, nothing mindblowing, but it has some pretty great quote material in it, and it is GOAT comfy-tier. Also I love the way he writes, interposing the material with the spiritual. His metaphors can be quite brilliant at times.
>>
>>8199069

I much prefered the Odyssey tbqh, the Illiad had way too many moments of people throwing spears around and eating the ground.
>>
>>8199106
>and darkness covered his eyes
>>
Chicago
Moby Dick. It's difficult, especially since I'm new to reading, but I sill want to stick to it
>>
>>8199127

You should consider rereading it after some time has passed, even if you dislike it now. I think Moby Dick is one of the richest books around, in terms of depth. You can only truly appreciate its images after you have read many books and lived a lot.
>>
>>8199021
Yeah zio, i mean Russell himself said that in the introduction.
>>
>>8199167
yeah scuza mi . its just i know too many people personally who treat it as an unbiased overview of philosophy.
>>
>>8199160
It's not that hard. Some parts are just really tedious, especially for beginners.>>8199167
>>
NYC
Bayou Folk by Kate Chopin

>>8199099
I always wonder what people from the US think of Thoreau and Emerson and co. They have such an outsized influence here (not that I don't love them) that I feel like people from other countries have never heard of them or would mock the collective American love/hate affair with the transcendentalists.
>>8199127
You got this bro. It's worth it.
>>
>>8197246
> 23
> West Yorkshire, England
> Blood Meridian - torn on it, to be honest. McCarthy can have beautiful prose, and the book can be highly unsettling (not just because of the violence), but there's also stretches in the book that test my patience and are exhausting to read. Will have to re-read it sometime, a few years from now.
>>
>>8199127
Keep at it, it's immensely rewarding, my man. One of my personal favourites, although I appreciate that the chapters on whaling methods and whale anatomy are going to slow people down.
>>
Australia
The Thirteen Gun Salute, by Patrick O'Brian
Comfy
>>
>>8199204

>Some parts are just really tedious

Only the parts where he tries to show off his enciclopedic knowledge, tbqh. Those were amusing at first but got annoying pretty fast.

The rest is only boring if you don't get the images and themes imo
>>
>>8199267
Those were the ones I was talking about. Dude cetology lmao, etc. It's fine when it's the characters themselves interacting or things happening in general.
>>
>>8199214

I want to read Emerson eventually, what should I read first?

Thoreau isn't particularly innovative in his themes (I mean, most is just Hinduist/Buddhist philosophy basically), it's the way he exposes them is what makes him good imo. He really sounds like someone who lived for the values he expounded, and was a very chill guy overall. Seems like a cool dude to have a beer with tbdesu
>>
>21
>Sydney
>For Whom the Bell Tolls / I just want it to be over
>>
>>8199013
I did GCSEs
They were quite easy but i had over 20 exams to prepare for
>>
NE
Shadows of Self

Sanderson has always been a delightful palate cleanser for me and I enjoy what he's doing with the Mistborn universe.
>>
Japan
Fanged noumena

Great
>>
>22
>Delaware
>Marcus Aurelius - Meditations

Great, but very redundant
>>
>21
>New England, USA
>Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande
>It's okay. The writing is good enough to make up for the subject, which is kinda boring; he didn't need to write a whole book to say what he did.
>>
Norway
Paul Auster - The Brooklyn Follies
>>
New Zealand
Just started Hyperion and it's just so perfect
>>
Tokyo
Underworld - Don Delillo
>>
>>8197246
Sweden
Underworld. It's great, a real experiential read, if that's a word. A full-bodied mind expander. DeLillo at full force.
>>
>>8199506
>>8199510

Dat Delillo hivemind.

I'm 200 pages in an enjoying thoroughly. It's my first Delillo. Definitely reminds me of DFW.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 335x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 335x499
Venice, Italy. (From Sweden)
Sapiens: a brief history of humankind - Love it! History, and well thought thru arguments and witty brain teasers. Highly recommended.
>>
>>8197419
>>8197696
>>8198473

Hello fellow Dallas friends!

DFW
In Defense of Sanity by G.K. Chesterton. I just started it but I like it already, he has an articulate insight into things.
>>
>>8197246
>19
>Merka
>Norwegian Wood
>What the fuck is this emo shit?
>>
>>8199487
I read that a few months ago. It was fun for what it was but a bit too cute for my liking. The NY Trilogy is much better.
>>
Hamilton Ontario
House of Leaves
The NewYork Trilogy
>>
>>8197246
>19
>Norway
>A midsummer nights dream but just started it, and still on the introduction. Just finished Five dialogues of Plato from Hackett. Includes Euthypro, Crito, Meno, Phaedo and Apology. Pretty good although I think in most cases Plato's /Socrates' argumentation falls through. Some of the ideas are still interesting though of course, and the picture of Socrates and his dedication to the Philosophical way of life is quite moving.
Btw, does anyone know of how important Plato's ideas are in contemporary thought?
>>
>>8199575
I've just started, seems ok. Got it as a birthday present from my gf since it's her favorite writer
>>
>>8197246
>19
>Virginia, USA
>The Pale King, enjoying it so far.
>>
Rio de Janeiro
Dracula

Bretty gud. I'm more used to reading nonfiction so I was surprised when this actually made me want to keep reading.
>>
Southeast Pennsylvania
Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon. It's interesting but a lot of it is Freudian mumbo-jumbo.
>>
Germany
The Stranger by Albert Camus. I fell asleep twice in the Prologue.
>>
>>8197246
los angeles, ca
the knight. i don't like it.
>>
>19
>Latvia
>The girl on the train
>Its okay. So far its only about two girls, one telling her story from a train (hue hue) and one that just quit a nanny job
>>
>>8197246
>>age
20sa
>>location
None of your fucking business
>>current book you're reading, and how do you like it
Nausea by Sartre. It's really fucking difficult, it makes my fucking head hurt trying to read it.
>>
>>8197246
Germoney
The Big Sleep

It's terribly annoying how it's spelled "to-morrow" instead of "tomorrow" every fucking time
>>
>>8200216
>wasting your precious time on this earth with sartre
>>
>20
>Gibraltar
>lotr

The homeward journey is even more bittersweet than the one in The Hobbit
>>
Paris
Comme le temps passe... by Robert Brasillach
>>
>23
>Tampa
>Romancero gitano by Federico Garcia Lorca. This nigga is making me realize that castillian is the most beautiful language ever spoken.
>>
>>8197535
بالله عليك الله شفت ناس زين ضيقوها علينا كيف؟
>>
>19
>Atlanta
>Crime and Punishment
I've been reading a lot of greek stuff lately so this is a bit of a break. It's a good read so far but I'm regretting the P and V translation, the prose honestly seems really bad. Makes reading it a bit tedious, though I do want to keep going.
Next time I read Dosto I'm definitely picking another translator. Who's the best? I know Garnett is supposed to be even more antiquated and dry than the russians themselves, and P and V just seem to use words that are... Wrong, in every way.
>>
NY
Crime and Punishment

First I've ever read of Dostoevsky. I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it for the most part but I can't read it for more than one or two chapters at a time.
>>
File: emma stone.gif (957 KB, 400x253) Image search: [Google]
emma stone.gif
957 KB, 400x253
>age
>location
Guadalajara, México
>current book you're reading
Sculpting in time - Andrei Tarkovsky
Invitation to a beheading - Nabokov
La region más transparente - Carlos Fuentes
and a bilingual anthology of W.B. Yeats poetry
>>
Western Montana

Gravity's Rainbow
Thoroughly unimpressed. It's only the 4th Pynchon novel I've read, but it's by far the one I've enjoyed the least. I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to draw from the book other than the obvious themes. It's even less fun and more poorly put together than Vineland.
>>
>21
>MA, USA
>Ulysses, it's incredible
>>
>>8200774

>dat tan/lighting
>dat hair color
>dat look

all of my hnnng
>>
>>8200833
Where are you in MA anon?
>>
>21
>Melbourne
>The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

It's nice.
>>
>>8199770
It's not bad, but his later stuff seems really mediocre compared to his early books.
>>
>>8200937
Do you read it out of interest in the period of Roman history or mainly because of Gibbon's view of the process (or both)?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-23-15-26-36.png (1 MB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-23-15-26-36.png
1 MB, 720x1280

Vancouver Washington

War and Peace

Im on page 975 and have never been so moved by any work of art as I have been through my time spent with Tolstoy.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 448x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 448x367
30.m.undeniable: by Bill nye
>>
>>8197696
>>8197419
>all these fellow Dallasfags

I'm visiting from south Florida for a flight dispatcher's license and I must say I enjoy the city and people here. Polite, smiling and neighborly, much different than the shithole that is SoFlo.

Anyway,
>24
>DFW, TX, USA
>The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

A bit of a slow burn partially because I have only had time to read it intermittently, but as usual Dick knows how to world build and set up compelling and varied characters so deftly as to warrant jealousy. Really good so far.
>>
>>8197246
NE USA
Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation

It's pretty good. Written from the perspective of a once Islamic extremist, now highly educated liberal. Still wants to be Muslim, but not extremist muslim, or even moderate muslim
>>
Connecticut
Menander: The Plays and Fragments

Just reread Dyskolos and enjoyed it more the second time, a lot of the jokes still landed and I could better appreciate the way it's structured. Samia is next. They said that Menander's style matured, so I don't know what to expect.
>>
File: dragonburn.jpg (91 KB, 588x588) Image search: [Google]
dragonburn.jpg
91 KB, 588x588
>>8197246
>19
>NorCA
>the Prince of Tides (Conroy) and Faust (Goethe)
Conroy book is nice I guess. Not sure if I hate it or like it and I'm halfway through, which is usually a sign that either I'll hate or like the rest.

Faust in German is neat
>>
>>8201172
Kys, wizard
>>
>20
>l o n d o n
>luzhin defence, it's kind of a slog despite being very short. there's too much woah man lucid impressionism because he wrote it early in his career or whatever
>>
US
The Book of Lost Things, it's alright, I was only really in it for the Little Red Riding Hood/Wolf bestiality.
>>
Catcher in the Rye
Ehh, I dunno it seems pretty alright so far. I'm only four chapters in and really know nothing about where it is going or what the book is really about, but it seems pretty alright.
>>
Guatemala
Ten Little Niggers. It's alright.
>>
>>8197246

>22
>Bahamas (White actually, before the inevitable storm of comments and questions)
>The Metamorphosis, hard to say because I've barely started.
>>
Portugal
País das Uvas - Not that great
>>
File: betty.jpg (55 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
betty.jpg
55 KB, 300x300
>>8197745
fucking kek
>>
File: 1465563494032.jpg (105 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
1465563494032.jpg
105 KB, 500x487

Toronto

The Ego and Its Own, for the first time
Also re-reading Nostromo, my favorite book
>>
nyc
infinite jest
>>
berlin
petersburg
i feel i cant judge it, because based on my current knowledge, it seems like it heavily relies on giving meaning to themes, words, the plot, etc retroactively
>>
>>8197246
Virginia
Snow Crash. I love it. This is my second time reading it.
>>
>>8199535
awesome book
>>
>>8197418
I love that book. One of my teachers gave it to me as a gift when I graduated high school. Kind of made me realize I was an asshole, and that I was heading down the road of being an arrogant douche despite having accomplished nothing. Reflecting on that, and why she gave me the book, has been pretty important in my life; felt like a punch in the gut at times. Probably the book that has had the largest influence on me, I guess.
>>
orlando, fl
just finished chilly scenes of winter; it was chill
>>
Green Bay, WI
Rachel Kushner - The Flamethrowers
Really well written. The best book I've read by a woman in a long time. It's pretty DeLillo-esque at points, she even went on a tour with him to promote his new book. Excited to finish. No idea what I'm doing on 4chan.
>>
>>8197246
Perth, Australia
Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
(he's based)
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 210x551) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 210x551
Merica
The Iron King by Maurice Druon
I don't have much to compare it to, considering it's my first historical fiction read, but I'm enjoying it so far. Seems to be translated from French pretty well, sometimes you can tell there's a lot lost in translation, but not so with this. Looking to finish it just as Tigana comes in the mail.
>>
>>8197246
>21
>Philippines
>El Filibusterismo. It's required reading but I think it's funny for being a novel about a failed vengeance.
>>
>>8201019
Out of interest of Roman history.
>>
>>8197246
Philippines
The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
>>
>>8197246
Irvine
Of Mice and Men, bought it for 2$ used and finished the first chapter, pretty good so far. Usually I read Sci-Fi, HG Wells Time Machine is next up

>>8197315
>>8201178
Phillip Dick is interesting, I personally don't like his writing style, but his ideas and imagination are amazing. Also check out Ubik and The Man in the High Castle if you enjoy DADES, those are good, the rest of i've read from him are either meh or I couldnt finish

>>8197542
Anonymous posting so you have to be quite autistic to post here narcissistically

>>8197555
Hahah finished Fear and Loathing and read Slaugherhouse 5 right after like 2 months ago. Check out Ray Bradbury, he may be up your alley.

>>8197708
By who and whats it about/genre

>>8199457
>>8199506
Out of curiosity, how good is Japanese literature (disregarding poetry) I've dabbled in Japanese language and linguistics for a couple of years, but that shit is tough haha

>>8201615
Damn she's cute
>>
>23
>nebraska
>the recognitions

i liked it at first, but it's way too long and I'm quickly losing interest
>>
Brazil

>Rayuela
My first book in Spanish, reading at a snail's pace but loving it anyway, it really struck a chord with me because it appeared to me in a very convenient time. Oliveira's introspection and the Morellianas really made me think about how I deal with some things in life (mostly like him, but now that I've seen what this turned Oliveira into I'm trying to change it.)

>Complete Plato
Just finished Phaedo, still have to watch lectures about it just to inculcate it in my mind.

>Rumor of Angels
Really enjoying it, recommended to me by a Phenomenology of Religion professor. Don't have much to say about it as I'm still halfway through.
>>
>>8197542
How is it narcissistic to post here? Some people just want to share recommendations to others or share the experience of what they're reading because they don't have anyone close to them that is interested in literature. I do it for all these reasons and also because writing my current thoughts on a book is a good practice to reorganize my ideas.
>>
>>8197380
How does it feel now that you're country fucked up?
>>
>>8200877
near worcester
>>
>>8203222

>Implying we didn't save it, and by extension, Europe

Once again, we shave this shitty continent.
>>
>>8203235
stfu sean connery
>>
>17
>Island near Naples, Italy
>Plato's Symposium

I started approaching to philosophy last year, this is one of the must read books. I like it but I actually liked more the Apology and the Faidon
>>
Paris
Quatrevingt-treize, Victor Hugo
Le château de la juive, G. des Cars
>>
>>8197246

Prague
Master and Margarita
>>
File: 1461321896399.jpg (80 KB, 600x607) Image search: [Google]
1461321896399.jpg
80 KB, 600x607
>>8197246
>21
>Norway
> Hunger - Knut Hamsun
>>
>>8203303
fuck man, Also, liking the book very well so far, I've read 4 other novels of his, but somehow not this one all though it's said to be the center pillar of his works.
>>
Newcastle (AUS)
Animal Farm

At the start of the book so not much to comment about yet.
>>
>>8203303
>mfw started Hunger last night
>mfw he stalks the girl
>>
>>8197246
>30
>southern california
>my struggle book 1. loving it so far, it's like a beautiful nordic slice of life.
>>
>>8199543
>>8197696
>>8198473
Fellow DFW anons, do any of you have any favorite bookshops around here? I was really disappointed with the HPB flagship store.
>>
>26
>HK
>The Ego and His Own
I sometimes lose track of what I'm reading.
>>
>25
>Jacksonville, fl
>In Cold Blood
Fucking incredible
>>
File: 78.2514.41_ph_web.jpg (183 KB, 556x902) Image search: [Google]
78.2514.41_ph_web.jpg
183 KB, 556x902
>>8197419
>>8197696
>>8198473
>>8199543
>>8201178
why hello my dallas nigges
>>8203386
I have visited all the bookshops here, the one in downtown fort worth sucks, back door books, the HPB flagship is decent for non-fiction, but the best one around here is up in Denton, the Recycled Books and Records, they have a top tier peotry section and a very good contemporary lit section.

DFW
The Recognitions (still)
Also reading all of Valeria Luiselli's works
>>
>24
>kansas City
Reading catch 22 and east of eden. Catch 22 is fucking great and east of eden is pretty good.
>>
File: BrooklynF.jpg (41 KB, 316x500) Image search: [Google]
BrooklynF.jpg
41 KB, 316x500
>>8198977
Finished that turd, now starting pic related

I don't know of it's because of the jump of quality but I'm thoroughly enjoying the first pages so far
>>
File: ulysses.jpg (84 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ulysses.jpg
84 KB, 640x480
>18
>Texas
>pick related, it's pretty neat
>>
File: lit 2.jpg (131 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lit 2.jpg
131 KB, 640x480
usa va
warlock
and I like it

it's embarrassing to be one of the older anons here. sweet jesus.
>>
>25
>Austin, Texas
>De Officiis and the written works of Lincoln
>>
>20
>Okinawa
>Swann's Way

I absolutely love it. Pure pleasure
>>
>>8203801
Goddamn spell check, I meant pic
Also I'm from San Antonio, since I see a lot of other texasfags here
>>
>>8197246
>20
>Canada
>The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci

After this it's back to reading everything rilke ever wrote
>>
>26
>Belgium
>The Store by Bentley Little

kinda dumb but really fun
>>
>>8203845
matt later?
>>
Belfast
Stoner by John Williams.

It's a'ite.
>>
New Zealand
Halfway through Brideshead Revisited. it's interesting to read into waugh's notions of aristocracy, academia and religion but it seems a lil antiquated (which isnt great for a book only 70 years old)

I hope sebastian turns out ok though
>>
>>8203651
Second this about the place up in Denton. Although I usually use amazon these days recycled and hpb are my alternatives
>>
File: 13828039_1.jpg (58 KB, 1200x618) Image search: [Google]
13828039_1.jpg
58 KB, 1200x618
>>8199217

Ayyyyy I'm reading Blood Meridian too, 40 pages left. My only complaint, which isn't so much a complaint as a difficulty, is the amount of archaic and Spanish vocabulary when he feels like getting descriptive. Nor did I come into the book with a background on the latin taxonomy for the flora and fauna of the southwest. I'll have to reread it knowing what I know now what I didn't know then so it flows easier. I came to it hot off of finishing Gravity's Rainbow so McCarthy's prose, which steamrolls forward at a steady pace despite the carnage and spectacles contained in its journey, was welcome.

USA
22, Virginia

reading Dubliners after this.
>>
>>8203774

To this day I ponder the ending of that book. The final moment of the novel, though a bit predictable, seems to shatter everything. Despite all the family tragedy in post-2000s Auster novels, I find them to be very comfy page turners. He digs up such interesting histories and facts about
important literary figures. I need to read more of his work spanning between the New York Trilogy to Timbuktu.
>>
>>8203651
Recycled books is fucking great
>>
>>8197463
Thanks.

>>8197428
Forgot this isn't /mena/. Whoops.

>>8201615
People are unironically reading it now?
>>
>>8197246
Washington, DC
His Master's Voice by Lem, it does some things better than Solaris but it's a worse book.
>>
>>8200827
>thoroughly unimpressed

pleb detected. how far along are you
>>
>>8203281
>17
>>
Current books:
>The Life and Work of J.S. Bach
(hoping to get to know the man behind the music, pretty interesting as it clears up some previously debated matters regarding the limited knowledge on his personal life)
>The Feeling Good Handbook
Therapist gave it to me to read, as homework. I don't want to go back to the psych ward. Its worse if you're poor because they bill you for ambulance rides that Medicaid won't cover, and hound you for it.

I have some other books on my desk but I know I won't be getting to them within the next week, I'm a bit behind and focusing more on my music.
>>
US

I'm never sure how to feel about a Bolano novel. I enjoy it but God damn sometimes, the world he builds in Mexico is incredibly depressing. I'm on the final book atm. I'd love to hear other anons thoughts.
>>
SoCal
A Moveable Feast, and it's really not too bad. Directionless, but amusing.
>>
>>8197631
Pale Fire is great but some of the Zembla parts drag because of how windbaggish Kinbote gets when talking about himself.
>>
>25
>NYC
>Carpenter's Gothic
I didn't know what to expect since I've been told that The Recognitions was his best, but I like it. There's a certain manic energy to it that a lot of The Recognitions didn't have.
>>
>>8205105
>Bolano

Where's he from? Is it well-written?
>>
File: 1447614047167.jpg (40 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1447614047167.jpg
40 KB, 500x540
>>8205105
>Bolano
>ano
>>
Ohio
Gravity's Rainbow

The book is amazing. I was expecting it to be a lot harder than it actually is, and I was expecting to not get hooked on the book immediately, but surprisingly, I've been finding Gravity's Rainbow not absurdly difficult like people claim and have really gotten hooked onto the book right from the opening pages. That's not to say that I fully understand the intricacies of every single thing that's happening, but I find the novel fairly easy to follow in a general sense.

I'm only 75% done with Part 1, perhaps it ramps up in difficulty as it goes on. Roger Mexico's my favorite character.
>>
Chicago
Christianity: the first 3,000 years
Very good, Diarmond is fairly impartial while presenting facts. Great starting point for people looking to get a detailed (but not ultra in-depth) look at the history of Christianity.
>>
Florida
Recently borrowed The Master and Margarita from a friend but have yet to start it.
>>
>>8205228
Roberto Bolaño is from Chile.
I can't tell how good the translation is but he's a fantastic author and also pretty well-read. His interviews are really interesting and has a great taste in latin-american poetry
>>
GR gets memed so much on this board for good reason. Objectively the best english language book since WWII.
>>
>>8205368
>ucsf? tell lizzard simons i said hello
>>
>>8205563
wut
>>
>>8205454
It's in the top 5 for sure but I wouldn't call it the absolute best.
>>
Mexico city
Dark as the grave wherein my friend is laid
I feel it more depressing than under the volcano. Mezcal
>>
>>8203226
I'm so sorry.
Then again I'm from Essex County which isn't much better. Lawrence-Haverhill-Methuen-Salem

Lawtown rep'sent
>>
>>8204053
Uhm, if that's supposed to be my name then no
>>
NYC
Light in August

I've been reading a lot of Faulkner lately and this one's my favorite.
>>
>25
>texas
>da vinci code, it's alright. I read the first one a few weeks ago and figured I'd go ahead and read the popular second one. I don't understand how people can't enjoy a popcorn book. I mean it's more Marvel Cinematic Universe than it is Transformers. Dan Brown isn't that bad. The whole book is conversational and action-packed. You're not supposed to go in for the prose. You go in for the fun.
>>
NJ
Infinite Jest

I'm doing a group read with /r/infinitesummer. Found out about it suddenly but I'd always intended to read this. I'm not even 50 pages in yet, but it's not what I expected(not even sure what I did) and it's pretty enjoyable so far. Reminds me of Ulysses a lot.
>>
Tampa
Ringworld- actually my second Niven book, the first being A World Out Of Time
>>
>>8205321

Part 3 is where Pynchon lays on the engineering details thick and starts getting literary over obscure rocket components, familiarize yourself with Tarot cards before part 4.
>>
File: sometimes-a-great.jpg (58 KB, 215x350) Image search: [Google]
sometimes-a-great.jpg
58 KB, 215x350
Ottawa
Sometimes a Great Notion

I'm a third into the book and I am enjoying the stories of all the different characters as the story unfolds.
>>
>>8197246
> 18 - 1.
>Costa Rica.
> Norwegain Wood: It's shit, a waste of time.
>>
Sheffield
The Catcher in the Rye

Enjoying it desu, heard Caulfield was supposed to be a shitty brat but I find myself empathising with him quite a lot. He seems like a swell guy. He really does. I'm not kidding.
>>
boise
The Varieties of Religious Experience
Man and His Symbols
Thinking With Type
Suicide of the West

>>8197282
looks interesting. I don't like books that focus on breathing and posture though, I have problems with both

>>8197542
>he's too self conscious to satisfy his social urges
>>
>age
A young twenty two.
>location
Sacramento, CA
>current book you're reading, and how do you like it
Narcissus and Goldmund. I think it's overrated. I thought Siddhartha and Demian were amazing, so I was kind of set up to think this was going to be the best thing ever. Obviously it's good because it's Hesse, but it just isn't meeting my expectations.
>>
South-German shithole
The Magic Mountain, quite comfy and enjoyable so far
>>

Canada

The old man and the sea

Plot is quite simplistic, but the writing and wording are exceptional.
>>
>>8203222
uh it feels ok i've rich parents and dual nationality so i dont really care
>>
>>8197428
But anon, he didn't have a tripcode
>>
Mexico city
Genet: A biography
>>
>>8207358
the guy was a fucking badass faggot
White's investigation is very extensive and the reading is enjoyable.
>>
>>8197246
Brexit we won EU niggers
New Media (it's an academic book for a STEM social science degree). I was doing some optional Summer studying, but soon I'll be reading statistics books for a retake.)
Anyway New Media is part interesting, part overly dense, part wooly and unnecessary yet banal. Good for an academic book for the subject.
I'm looking for a proper /lit/ book ATM.
>>
>>8207568
>it's an academic book for a STEM social science degree

economics?
>>
>>8207596
Web Science (Social Science)
It's an interdisciplinary field with sociology, politics, statistics, technology etc. I hate explaining it because there is only 5 people at the University taking it (very new subject) so no one knows anything about it.
>>
>>8203651
>>8204154
>>8204482
Have any of you anons been to Lucky Dog Books a little to the south of downtown Dallas? It's next on my list to check out. I'm definitely going to move Recycled up the list now though.
>>
London
100 Years of Solitude

Thank fuck I have a French passport too
>>
New York
Arcadia, By Lauren Groff.

I tried her book Monsters of Templeton a while ago. But I couldn't get into it. I hope her second novel is more interesting than what a series of bleary flashbacks MOT was.
>>
maryland
trivia by logan smith

i'd rather be reading a book made of diamonds 2bhon
>>
>>8205085
What do you play?
>>
Bristol
Property ownership is the realm of the bourgeoisie.
>>
Bay Area
Gravity's Rainbow

I got meme'd hard, family members
>>
>>8197246
New Zealand
One Second After, I think it's pretty good so far. Always like the whole dystopian future feel it brings. Lined up to read One Year After next, then I'll need to catch up on The Final Day next year.
>>
Moscow
Les Miserables, about halfway through.
It's good when it's actually going forward, but it's like Hugo has writer's OCD of some sort. Whenever he even mentions something, he has to go at length describing it and everything associated with it. Sometimes that just distracts from the story. Waterloo chapters were fantastic and managed to transfer the spirit of battle, but reading through eight chapters of how a women's monastery works is hardly giving me some interesting historical perspective. Also entire Fantine book was nothing but misery porn, by the end of it I was just cringing every time a character was treated inhumanely terrible and couldn't do anything about it. So far I'd say my favorite scene was Bishop Myriel talking to dying member of the convent, that had strong clash of morals going for it and neither was portrayed as right or wrong.
>>
>>8208784
>Blood Meridian
>dry and boring
>17
jfc
>>
>>8208784

you're too young for this board, bye.
>>
>>8208783
Writers were paid by the word count back then. Sneaky fucker was just milking his publisher.
>>
>>8199409
Don't worry underage friend, I won't tell
>>
>21
>Canada
>Bonehunters: Malazan book of the fallen

>I like it c:
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.