[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/. What is the required reading in order to fully appreciate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: Ovid-Metamorphoses.jpg (28 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
Ovid-Metamorphoses.jpg
28 KB, 226x346
Hello /lit/. What is the required reading in order to fully appreciate and understand Metamorphoses? I am worried I may not have long to enjoy it, your kind consideration is most appreciated.
>>
Read the things that treat the myths in it, like the Iliad.
>>
>>8196898
Thank you for your quick response. I currently own an unread copy I've been delaying to engage in.
>>
>>8196892
Metamorphoses is the genesis of all Western literature, along with The Bible.
Read both of those and you'll be pretty much good to tackle anything up through the 1800's.
>>
File: 1463400521042.jpg (106 KB, 471x600) Image search: [Google]
1463400521042.jpg
106 KB, 471x600
>I am worried I may not have long to enjoy it
Are you gonna kill yourself or something?
>>
>>8197085
Thank you.
>>8197858
Would I throw away my existence? It is all that I can hope to attain; everything I may experience can only be done so in this life. Until someone can convince me otherwise, there is no such existence beyond death. I hope you cherish your life, anon.
>>
>>8196892
Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, as far as I know (plus, obviously, knowledge of classical mythology). I haven't read it either, so take this with a grain of salt I guess.
>>
>>8196892
it does seem to go backwards, but i would read it as intended and re-read accordingly.
just know that phoebus and apollo are one in the same, so are zeus and jupiter and jove, so are pluto and vulcan
>>
just read it man, I remember reading it when I was 14 and it was very enjoyable.
>>
>>8199358
Pluto is Hades, Vulcan is Hephaestus.
>>
love that name, Metamorphoses
>>
>>8196892
what's your native language, OP?
>>
get the golding translation you fucking MORON
>>
i have Innes translation, did i fuck up?
>>
>>8204165
GOLDING OR LATIN those are your options
>>
Hesiod, Homeros, Virgil and you are set mate, it is not really demanding. Know the names of important gods, have a general idea of what they do and then it is just a fable compilation.
>>
>>8204168
I have the Mandelbaum translation. How much did I fuck up?
>>
>>8204402
lel you're probably fine homey XD

you can hunt Golding down online, though
>>
>>8197997
You didn't answer that anon's question.
>>
>>8204402
Mandelbaum is undoubtedly the best.
>>
>>8204238
What's a good translation of Hesiod's work?
>>
>>8205247

I read the Hackett published one. It was good.
>>
>>8196892
Melville

Good notes and a decent translation. From what I know, Humphries is decent but it contains omissions so take that for what its worth
>>
>>8204165
Its prose, so if you wanted good poetry then yeah you fucked up
>>8204402
Mandelbaum is probably my second favorite, behind Melville. Translation itself is just as good or better, but its more expensive, no notes, and the stories aren't indexed.
>>8204168
Golding is so inaccurate that its no longer Ovid
>>
is the Histories worth a shit?
>>
>>8205541
if you want accuracy then you just have to read it in Latin. if you don't feel like putting in the effort, then Golding is the way to go bc it's significant af in it's own right.
>>
>>8205588
its*
>>
>>8205588
Golding is the furthest by far of all the translators from the thought/style of Ovid. Thats what I meant. Read Golding for Golding, but don't read it if you want Ovid. But yeah Latin is obviously the best but isn't an option for everyone.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.