[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
goddammit. this is the last time I read one of your memes. every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: 71NCMDhfzzL.jpg (225 KB, 800x1238) Image search: [Google]
71NCMDhfzzL.jpg
225 KB, 800x1238
goddammit.
this is the last time I read one of your memes.
every fucking time I'm totally let down.
if anyone is interested in reading the book, don't.
it's not worth your time.
stay away. stay far away.
the memes never kvetching up to the hype.
>>
>>8195288
never live up to*
>>
>the memes never kvetching up to the hype.
It seems you didn't enjoy it because you're retarded. Three examples of hard evidence in this single line.
>>
>>8195293
lol auto correct fucked me like always
>>
>tfw you read Recognitions before it really became a meme
feels good man
>>
>>8195288
What didn't you like about it, specifically?

Convince us you're not a retard.
>>
>>8195436
Angry white male writes at great length in the 1950s about how false and corrupt contemporary civilization is. If only we were all medieval monks, then everything would be okay. Imagine the worst of Joyce combined with the worst of Salinger.
>>
>>8195436
I am retarded. no need to convince you otherwise. I actually liked it. but it wasn't anything special. there were parts I loved. gaddis ripping apart hipsters was awesome. so damn relevant. it was just ultra long-winded and lost loads of steam around the last 200 pages. the main characters dad was crazy and that was hilarious but when wyatt went nuts it was a chore to read his chapters. it's just not something I would recommend you all rush out and read. it seems like everyone here loves to read the memes. mainly the meme trio. I don't think think you should put this book before any of those other memes. if anything read it last. but I could also say read it first because a lot of the characters mirror all of us on /lit and we end up getting BTFO lel. it basically takes 1000 pages to say "be real/be genuine". then the one genuine character kills himself by being real and genuine lmao. LIFE SUCKS LOOOOOL
>>
>>8195288
Did you read GR and did you like it?

That book is actually good and if you hated it then it's obvious we have different taste and I still might like The Recognitions.

Actually, what are your top 5 or just generally what are some book you really liked?
>>
>>8195500
yeah liked GR. but I'm one of those cunts who liked mason and dixon more.

top 5 books. fuck that's hard.

a public burning
life a user's manual
letters
where I'm calling from
at swim two birds
>>
>>8195518
>letters
confirmed memester
>>
>>8195523
lol fuck off. after reading barth's previous books it was a good time.
>>
>>8195478
>>8195483
If either of you actually thought this was what its message was, you're both illiterate.
>>
>>8195301
>blaming autocorrect
your lack of proofreading fucked you, don't try to blame your idiocy on technology, pussy. Take responsibility for your shit.
>>
>>8195660
I don't have time for that. I just read the recognitions
>>
>>8195667
>more responsibility avoidance
you'll make a great middle manager some day
>>
>>8195646
what's the point then Einstein?
>>
>>8195670
neat
>>
>>8195677
ugly
>>
>>8195671
Not him but the point was that you can either live a lie and prosper or attempt to be honest and/or earnestly devoted to something and ruin yourself or die in the process. That devotion, even the religious kind will most likely ruin you even if you're venerated for it after the fact.

A BEE urself book would present it as a potentially difficult thing but ultimately a rewarding one. In The Recognitions, there are few rewards if any to be had for being honest or having any integrity, especially in an artistic sense.
>>
I'm about halfway through this atm, I don't really understand why it's a meme, or why it's considered difficult. I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece, but it is still a great book, and hilarious at parts. Though I wish it was 400 pages shorter.
>>
>>8195761
so your saying the only way to prosper is to lie. seems like everyone gets fucked in the end. except Stanley kind of.
>>
>>8195872
If anything, Stanley got fucked the hardest. In an ironic way, he got the sort of martyrdom he wanted, but only after losing everything else he had and being left as a hollow shell of himself in the process, and it was such a pointless farce that his entire life retrospectively seems like a waste of time because it was inevitably going to fall into that kind of pattern. Wyatt and Otto begin their paths to possible redemption in their last segments, but Gaddis keeps whether they actually attain it and what sort of forms it might take if they do ambiguous. All in all, Max probably ended up being the happiest and most successful character due to his willingness to play the game society requires and lack of any moral inclinations.
>>
>>8196116
Stanley got what he wanted though and will be remembered and shit.
ohhh yeah forgot about max. lol paying the ten percent. did huki lau get raped? also what was the point of the assassin?
>>
>>8196139
Remembered in a shallow, psued way where his work is vaguely praised more than it's actually played or experienced as it actually is. Look at what his life up until that point was like. Can you really say that kind of half-assed posthumous "recognition" was really worth it?
>>
>>8196179
Wrong thread.
Apologies.
>>
>>8196171
thank you for this discussion
>>
so is the message your damned if you do your damned if you don't. or is it cheat and get paid?
>>
>>8196357
The former mostly, but it could be twisted to be interpreted as the latter to some extent. Though not everyone can take it, as shown by how depressive and suicidal the ad men get near the end.
>>
>>8196393
kkkk I have a better understanding now. thanks nigger. I wonder why this was gaddis first book. it seems like something you would write as your last. have you read his other work? J R sounds awesome, I just can't find it. I have a copy of a frolic of his own sitting on my shelf.
>>
>>8196504
I have copies of everything but JR now, but I decided not to read them until after JR, which I ordered a used copy of not too long ago. Hopefully it's in usable condition (the vendor claims it's in "good" condition with minor wear and no marks on the inside, but who knows) and doesn't have cumstains on it or anything.
>>
>>8195646
Yeah, only your pretentious interpretation is the correct one. Everyone else is wrong but you. Also:
>muh message
Stay away from literature and art analysis, bitchboy.
>>
>>8197237
>replies 6 hours after the fact
>other guy is a bitchboy
W-E-W
>>
>>8197252
How new are you? Do you think this is a chatroom?
>>
>>8195288
Could you list the memes you have wasted time on?
>>
>>8195483
good point
>>
>>8197303
The Bible
Gravitys Rainbow
The Greeks
Lord of the Rings
>>
>>8197303
infinite jest
gravity's rainbow
Ulyssess
bloodmeridian
the tunnel
letters (according to that other guy)

the usual bunch.
>>
>>8197342
that's not me btw
>>
While we're at it, would anyone happen to have The Rush for Second Place and/or The Letters of William Gaddis in ebook form? I want to read those but don't feel like paying for them.
>>
File: 1454181571122.jpg (47 KB, 464x528) Image search: [Google]
1454181571122.jpg
47 KB, 464x528
>>8195670
>>8195660
>>8195293
wow ur'e so cool and inteligent I wish I WAs yous teebeeƦch my nigger
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.