[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best history books that can give me a description
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: hesse.jpg (400 KB, 1265x1600) Image search: [Google]
hesse.jpg
400 KB, 1265x1600
What are the best history books that can give me a description of the "big picture"? A good overview of world history?

Also, what are the essential History Philosophers?
>>
>>8195179

You probably won't find one.

I think Schopenhauer was right in saying that all you can really do is acquaint yourself with the general 'Zeitgeist' of a given time/place.

There is simply too much 'history' to meaningfully learn; you either go in for a specific time/place, or else flounder. The "big picture" is too big to appreciate every specific, or even see up close; you have stand way back.
>>
>>8195179
H. G. Wells - The Outline of History
>>
Haven't actually read it, but maybe pic related will help
>>
Hegel is basically the penultimate history philosopher but gg trying to start with him
>>
>>8195222
I'll bite. Who's the ultimate one?
>>
>>8195185
>There is simply too much 'history' to meaningfully learn

I agree that understanding every single nuance of Universal History is an impossible task, but I definitely disagree that trying to get the "big picture" is meaningless.

>>8195205
>>8195216

Thanks, will read those when I can

>>8195222

Yeah, I was thinking about Hegel when I posted this, but I think I need more background knowledge before getting into his works
>>
>>8195225
Starts with an h ends with an eidegger

Shh. You can't access this information until all philosophy stats are maxed to 99999. And you can read German poetry with native fluency
>>
>>8195222

Who should I start with, then?
>>
>>8195253
heidegger is a retarded continental meme.
>>
File: 6yh260d44.jpg (18 KB, 212x320) Image search: [Google]
6yh260d44.jpg
18 KB, 212x320
>>8195179
Spengler is an essential history philosopher. Pic related.
>>
>>8195179
Bibliothèque de la Pléiade - Histoire universelle (3 volumes)
>>
>>8195179
"World history" is too large for it to be of any use. Virtually every single generality you learn will break down as you study into the particulars.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.