[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I retarded for thinking this was bland as fuck?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: brave.jpg (26 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
brave.jpg
26 KB, 311x475
Am I retarded for thinking this was bland as fuck?
>>
File: big+lebowski[1].jpg (34 KB, 311x320) Image search: [Google]
big+lebowski[1].jpg
34 KB, 311x320
>>
>>8194652
Such an important work as this, it has had its themes borrowed, exaggerated, inverted and expounded upon in the decades since.

In the same way that Monty Python feels dated, and Doom seems old fashioned - it is precisely because of its newness that it has been built upon, raided and ravaged until all that's left is bones.
>>
>>8194669
ty for this response desu senpie
>>
No, now shut up.
>>
>>8194669

See also: Seinfeld
>>
>>8194669
This.
And I think it was more about the ideas in the book more than a YA style power read. The idea of losing our humanity by creating a utopian society resonates on every page. But yes not the most "thrilling" read but awesome for its day
>>
>>8194652
You're not retarded. You just don't appreciate good literature. Hence go fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>8194884
>Tells him Huxley is good literature
>Tells him to kill himself

>>8194669
Or it could feel bland because Huxley is just a truly awful author. His novels all boil down to essays. His messages are didactic and banal. Once one reads a novel of his one understands the ideas and the book becomes obsolete since his novels are just vehicles for his ideas. They are not works of art in their own right and he does not treat them as such. It does not matter if we talk of his early works such as Chrome Yellow, his middle period with A Brave New World or Ape and Essence, or his late works such as Island, they all the have the exact same failings.
>>
>>8194669
>>8194734
>>8194884

What happened to this board? Huxley used to be a pleb detector here. Now people unironically think he is good.
>>
You're not alone OP. I thought it was passable but not well written
>>
>>8196201

Huxley and Orwell are essential reading pleb or not.
>>
>>8196201
summer, friend. summer
>>
>>8196201
newfaggotry.
This guy >>8195968 is right.
Huxley is literal trash, I don't think I've read a novel worse than The Island, although I still plan to read The Doors of Perception.
Brave New World has little to offer beyond its didactic political message.
>>
>>8194652
No, its not only bland, its malignantly puerile
>>
>>8194652
read We.
>>
>>8196632
i couldn't finish island
>>
>>8194728
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny
>>
It's a bad book. Some interesting concepts but that's about it.

>>8194728
I still think it's brilliant.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.