[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gorgias was right.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: gorgias.jpg (6 KB, 294x172) Image search: [Google]
gorgias.jpg
6 KB, 294x172
Gorgias was right.
>>
literally who
>>
>>8193950
G R E E K S
R
E
E
K
S
>>
>>8193950

The sophist.
>>
File: p.jpg (20 KB, 335x450) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
20 KB, 335x450
Parmenides was right.
>>
>>8194055

'Nothing ever changes'

t. A dead guy who was once alive
>>
>>8194058
>'Nothing ever changes'
can nothing change?
shouldn't this be "nothing never changes"?
>>
>>8194064

There is not a thing that changes.
>>
>>8194022
i didnt start with them; am i ruined?
>>
>>8194100

No, you just haven't started.
>>
>>8194058
Something does not arise from nothing. What is not can never be what is. There is no nothing. No nothing, no destruction, no destruction, no generation, no generation, no change, no change, no becoming. Only Being.

kys
>>
>>8194092
is nothing a thing or not a thing
>>
>>8194112

If I said something different by saying 'nothing changes' as opposed to 'not a thing changes,' then I didn't mean it.
>>
>>8194130
your intentions are irrelevant.
>>
>>8194137

If what is meant by the saying and the meaning of what was said are different, why should someone not be allowed to divorce themselves from what was said?
>>
>>8194109
>Something does not arise from nothing.
bold claim there, friend.
>What is not can never be what is.
What is not constantly comes into being.
>There is no nothing.
yes, and nothing is omnipresent
>No nothing, no destruction, no destruction, no generation, no generation, no change, no change, no becoming. Only Being.
mere myopia and is-ness-chauvanism.
>>
File: hume.jpg (22 KB, 250x341) Image search: [Google]
hume.jpg
22 KB, 250x341
>>8194155
>should
>>
>>8194163

Why should I care what Hume thinks?
>>
>>8194159
>bold claim there, friend.

Only if you're unwilling to accept that what is not is not what is. Everything else follows from there
>>
>>8194192
"no man steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man"
"all flows"
-Heraclitus

that things can become other things is at least weak evidence that nothing can become something.
>>
>>8194109
There is no such thing as nothing, it's merely a term we use to describe a division we make with our imperfect perception of reality. Everything is always changing, reality is made up of "fizzing" quantum particles, in a constant state of flux.
>>
>>8194192
Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
>>
>>8194159
>Only Being
wrong. the fact of being necessitates the fact of non-being. They are mutually arising, yin and yang. the conflict and harmony between this mutual arising is the engine of all
>>
>>8194206
More like something appears to "become" something else. Change is an illusion, and Heraclitus the hack cannot refute the fundamental postulate that what is not can never be what is. Language is unequipped to discuss the notion of "nothing", which leads you astray.

>>8194208
Indeed, there is no nothing. But the true implication of that is that there is only ever something, there was only ever something, and nothing is ever in flux. You know nothing of quantum mechanics btw

>>8194211
Whereof one cannot speak and so on
>>
>>8194245

So nothing is nothing.
>>
>>8194252
Nothing never "is". We cannot in any real sense describe it, because any time we try we're just assigning properties to something that is not. There is no nothing, and we cannot speak of it.
>>
>>8194245
>Change is an illusion
wrong
>Language is unequipped to discuss the notion of "nothing", which leads you astray.
wrong again, it is your mind which is unequipped. Language is a perfect instrument.
>>
>>8194254
>he's disputing the law of identity
this is the face of madness
>>
>>8194255
Language is the most imperfect instrument there is. You cannot speak of nothing, because every time you try you're speaking as if it "is", when it clearly is not. No nothing, no change.
>>
>>8194270
see
>>8194266

>You cannot speak of nothing
regardless of your mad beliefs we have been speaking of nothing throughout this whole thread. Say hello to your therapist for me.
>>
>>8194278
Nothing has no identity. You may be speaking, but you're speaking nonsense. In fact, you're speaking of nothing at all
>>
>>8194282
yet more madness

for the sake of us all, unrustle your jimmies
>>
Stop reifying the nothing and turning into a thing and then pretending that's not what you're doing, in order to win an argument.

Heidegger did the same thing.
>>
>>8193917

I am enjoying my life with solid, filled casks that don't leak. I do not think I would be happier if they had holes in them.
>>
>>8194169
Because he is right.
>>
>>8193917
>reading Gorgias's On Non-Being
>nothing exists, not even nothingness
oh shit, I'm in love
>>
>>8194245
>Change is an illusion
even the illusion changes
how can this be if everything is actually constant?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.