[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you know anyone else whose /lit/ irl, or are you the only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 353x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 353x319
Do you know anyone else whose /lit/ irl, or are you the only one in your life besides your professor who knows his shit? Are your classmates passionate about their major, or are they only quasi interested because their parents made them go and it was their only tolerable option?
>>
>>8193483
>your professor

I am out of college and I know 3 other people in my entire circle of collected acquaintances and family who's reading habits I respect. One of them is a partial in that I respect her for reading 300+ books a year, mostly non-fiction, but typical female pop tastes in literature, one is a woman who is undeniably /lit/ , and another is a well read hipster that spends most of his time in poetry.
>>
>>8193518
Have you spoken about the 300+ woman here before? Aunt or some shit?
>>
My friends are all smarter than me but would rather play videogames than read
>>
i know two /lit/ people and they vastly surpass my power level
>>
>>8193518

r9k here. I do not care about the opinion of /lit/'s average, 20 year old userbase.

If you are reading not-quite a book a day, then you are not getting any depth on whatever it is that you are reading. No, it doesn't matter that you happen to be a speed-reader, have a lot of free time, or even stay in a given area so that the repetition of the themes across the books sticks in your head. If you're reading that much, that fast, then you are missing something, and speed readers do not escape this miss.

The above poster makes a very incongruent point. It's not wholly inconsistent, but it raises flags. A woman reads 300+ books a year, mostly non-fiction. This sounds rather heavy at first, but the poster later qualifies, puts down this friend by emphazizing that she has "typical female pop tastes in literature." That is, in spite of reading mostly non-fiction, we're supposed to take this woman's reading habits much less seriously now, per the poster, but not so un-seriously that the poster wasn't moved to think of her, and write about her. (non-fiction, even popsci and so on, being automatically above YA trash and the like, of course).

So in order to imagine this person, the sheer volume-pace and the suggested preferred content suggest mostly very light short non-fiction stuff, except that in my view, non-fiction is more demanding than fiction because one wants to verify that things are actually the case somehow, and not just roll with the story. If you're reading non-fiction and you're not stopping to do your own little homework assignments about it apart from that particular book, then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>8194049
I have to for various reasons pick my time and my battles when it comes to reading, and so speed reading takes up a lot of my reading habit. It's p much split between audio books, speed reading and a couple of books I pick through every so often.
>>
The only other person I know who reads is a friend of my little sister and she reads YA.
>>
>>8193483
>implying I'm not studying a STEM field
Making a decent living is one of the few things I'm more passionate about than philology.

My father reads a decent amount of literature. I don't think he started with the Greeks or even read them properly, but I'd say he's had a positive influence on me nonetheless.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.