[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else catch the spirit to live after reading this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 247x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 247x413
Did anyone else catch the spirit to live after reading this book?
>>
>>8193421
it was a bopping novel. got a bit long in parts but I really enjoyed it, especially the humorous bits. It feels bad knowing that hitchhiking is almost impossible nowadays.
>>
>>8193430
That's not true
>>
>>8193421
Yeah, especially because the first time I read it was in high school. I still read it every couple of years or so, but it isn't quite the same as the first few times I read it.
>>
>>8193430
it's not a novel

the original scroll is also
a) the authoritative text
b) SO RAD
>>
>>8193421
I'm 26

I'm worried I'm too ld to read it. Like, it's the 16 year old's guide on how to live hard.
>>
>>8193719
*too old
>>
>>8193719
you're thinking of palahniuk

if you think you're too old for something you're such a pseud
>>
>>8193726
>you're thinking of palahniuk

Am I?

I thought on the road was about people in their teens/early 20's making their way in the world. The beatnicks?
>>
>>8193741
palahniuk is the 16 y/o's guide to living like an animal, i meant

anyway, check out the original scroll version if you get the chance, it's magnificent. it was most certainly NOT supposed to be cut up into chapters and paragraphs the way it was in the 'novel' version

it is a truly great text
>>
>>8193421

I ended up dropping it a good way through but I can't remember why. Maybe I should pick it back up again.
>>
>>8193754
>anyway, check out the original scroll version if you get the chance, it's magnificent. it was most certainly NOT supposed to be cut up into chapters and paragraphs the way it was in the 'novel' version

Shit, I have the novel version.
>>
>>8193790
don't worry, most of the world has that version. kerouac just couldn't win that argument with his publishers when he was starting out. the novel version is a good primer, too, because the scroll moves so quickly and can be hard to parse sometimes
>>
>>8193421
>beats
not
even
once
>>
>>8193604
Not him, but trust me, it's not impossible but may as well be, only place you have a reasonable chance is in rural areas and even then it's very rare. I dont know why but just doesnt happen anymore. I feel like Americans became extremely paranoid and suspicious in the second half of the 20th century, maybe because everyone owned a TV.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.