[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dune was a dissapointment but i'm an easily manipulated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 51RW+DxwngL.jpg (51 KB, 492x500) Image search: [Google]
51RW+DxwngL.jpg
51 KB, 492x500
dune was a dissapointment but i'm an easily manipulated cuck so i bought books 1-4. i was under the impression Dune was some kind of anti-scifi full of trippy spiritualism and psychedelia and patchen or pynchon or hawkes or late-burroughs level coherence. you can imagine i was dissapointed when i read some sunday morning b-movie aristocrat war story with everything cool relegated to the background

do they get ... better? less genre-trashy? should i read 2-4 even if i was bored to death by book 1?
>>
>>8191636
ahaha you so fucking stupid
>>
>>8191636
I had no idea there was more than one
>>
>>8191636
there's been a huge influx of Dune-love that coincided with the recent Reddit migration. you can do the math on that one.
Before then Dune was generally regarded as pretty much your typical cult classic sci-fi doodoo. Which it is.

Also, why did you buy all three AND the collected trilogy?
>>
Op is a retard. Dune is a pretty solid Sci-Fi book that is fun and entertaining. It is competently written and tells an interesting story without all of the garbage that typically comes with the genre. It isn't high literature and nobody ever said it was.
>>
>>8191684
>there's been a huge influx of Dune-love that coincided with the recent Reddit migration. you can do the math on that one.
i've heard great things about Dune since long before i ever knew what 4chan was
>Before then Dune was generally regarded as pretty much your typical cult classic sci-fi doodoo.
maybe on /lit/, but not in the critical world
>Which it is.
i might have to agree here
>Also, why did you buy all three AND the collected trilogy?
that's an image i grabbed from the internet, my bad

>>8191693
i suppose i was mistaken is all. but do the sequels aspire any higher? or are they just more of the same?
>>
>>8191636
>I thought Dune was anti scifi full of trippy spiritualism + psychadelia
There was much more spiritual content than pure scifi content. I mean, the entire plot revolves around a boy's experiences with a drug that allows him to see into the future and adopt the role of messiah for a people. While this fun psychy stuff wasn't as prominent as the political elements to the storyline, it's definitely more prominent than the science elements.

Regardless, if you didn't like book 1 I'd still give Messiah a try. Its introduction is kinda clumsy like the first book's, but once you're into the plot the book is more focused on Paul's fatalistic introspection, which I found quite enjoyable. Children of Dune is imo the weakest of the three and I wouldn't read it unless you thoroughly enjoyed the first two.

>>8191684
>>
If you'll believe it, they actually get worse.
>>
>>8191700
What made you not enjoy the first? For myself and most of the people I know it was the repetitive language, glacial pace of the plot, and disinteresting characters.

The last issue gets a little better, but the other books are even slower and more boring. The only reason Dune is critically acclaimed was because it engaged in legitimate worldbuilding (this is also why reddit slobbers all over it) when sci-fi mostly consisted of SPACECAPTAIN JACK MUSCLES BANGS THE GREEN WOMEN OF ZORBLOB 9! or some trash.
>>
File: dune.jpg (1022 KB, 1144x2560) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
1022 KB, 1144x2560
Dune? There's a chart for that.
>>
>>8191812
This is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen.

"Do you want to read Dune? Well read Dune! :)))l"

"Wow, do you want to read more Dune? You should try reading more Dune books in chronological order!!"

The person that thought themselves clever enough to create this should be kneecapped.
>>
>>8191812

Are Brian's novels really that bad? I've thought about checking out The Machine Crusade
>>
>>8191636
how you gonna judge a 6 book series off the first book alone. kys
>>
>>8191857
i judged 1 book which i read and asked how the next three are

why are you so defensive of frank
>>
>>8191866
kys
>>
>>8191822
Calm down u big honking nerd
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.