[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think the Stoic fatalism and bracing yourself against fortune
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1024px-Chrysippos_BM_1846.jpg (203 KB, 1024x1280) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Chrysippos_BM_1846.jpg
203 KB, 1024x1280
I think the Stoic fatalism and bracing yourself against fortune and such is bretty cool but I don't necessarily see why the moralfaggotry is part of the package.

Couldn't one be an edgy stoic just as well?
>>
>>8191506
Yes. I was gonna add "be prepared to be ridiculed though" but then I realized.
>>
it's always been a porchmonkey philosophy since the inception, but the moralfaggotry got more pronounced when the romans took it over because they were looking for a way to be a fascist empire. that's why you find seneca saying shit like "virtue's all you really need" when all that does is protect the state from the vagaries of man, not man from the vagaries of fate.
>>
File: machiapepe.png (1 MB, 1044x782) Image search: [Google]
machiapepe.png
1 MB, 1044x782
For my part I consider that it is better to be adventurous than cautious, because fortune is a woman, and if you wish to keep her under it is necessary to beat and ill-use her; and it is seen that she allows herself to be mastered by the adventurous rather than by those who go to work more coldly. She is, therefore, always, woman-like, a lover of young men, because they are less cautious, more violent, and with more audacity command her.
>>
>>8191530
>it's always been a porchmonkey philosophy since the inception
what did you mean by this?
>>
>>8191592
i was making an awful greek pun. stoa means "porch" in greek. zeno used preach from the "painted porch" (stoa poikile) and stoicism as a movement takes its name from this.
there're other famous porches, but stoicism refers to philosophers under that specific one in the athenian agora for its name.
>>
>>8191530
basically correct
>>
>>8191530
truuuuuuuuu
>>
>>8191506
>moralfaggotry

As if being principled was something to disparage. You idiots are all alike. Stoicism has its roots in ethical conduct, moral behavior. Virtue ultimately, is inseparable from the stoic approach to life. Because among the many things virtue is, it is self-control. Temperance is integral to stoicism, subhuman.
>>
>>8191728
>duty to the state never comes into it, it's just our interests aligned >.>
lol i thought all nero's shills were dead
>>
>>8191738
Your post was cute and all, but I never once mentioned the State in mine, moron.
>>
>>8191756
Then apparently us idiots aren't all alike. Idiotes is the greek word for those who don't participate in the function of the democratic state; those who "have no public business", in the words of Pericles :3
>>
>>8191692
feel ashamed for not catching that desu
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.