[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Karl ove Knausgaard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 276x183
what does /lit think of knausgaard, anyone read my struggle?
>>
I've heard he's one of the best writers of recent years, but everything I read about him makes him sound uninteresting.
>>
There's probably something to it, with how much hype its gotten. I found it boring and unprofound.
>>
I read his other book, a time for everything. I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of it, but by the end the way he described things became repetitive, boring and eventually frustrating.
>>
Book 1: Wowe what a terrific author. A modern Proust but with balls and cigarettes

Book 2: Okay, a few more pages than I was ready for, a little more sloppy, reads like an eloquent /lit/izen post on Dosty.

Book 3: Fuck this bullshit I got better things to read.

I imagine Book 4 is a bit better bc it's about his years in writing school and his first years teaching and what not. No clue about Book 5. Book 6 is strictly a mediation on Mein Kempf from what I've read (which is boring af in itself imo) so if that's your thing, hop on it.

He had an article in New York Times Mag about his visit to America where he made Eugenides get all embarassed and aspergersy, so check that out i you are just looking to whet your appetite for him.

I also recall a rather interesting piece by him in The Paris Review about Dante.

Overall: Like the pinnacle of contemporary, NYRB innundated cozy "muh contemplative artist" writing. Brilliant moments, but not v sustainable.
>>
I keep hearing about this book, but I don't get it. Why should I care about this Scandanavian edgelord and his problems?
>>
>>8191984
You shouldn't. The hype is entirely artificial.
>>
I've read all five of the books that have been translated so far, and I thought that the first two books were far better than the rest, but then after the fifth book, I went back and read the first one again and enjoyed it far less, making me think the first two books weren't inherently better but that you just get fatigued after the first two and your enjoyment goes down even though the quality is about the same. I still enjoyed books three, four, and five, but less so, and I'm thinking now it might not be their fault necessarily.
>>
>>8191984
I did not finish the first book, it was pretentious, ego run amok, contemporary sillyness.
>>
>>8191311
Read the whole thing. Very captivating story. One long bildungsroman.
The sixth book felt a bit more tedious than the other ones but also very rewarding, looking forward to seeing international reviews of it once it gets translated into English. The Hitler Biography could easily offend some people.
>>
The essential "Karl Ove Knausgård" in six short books!

DON'T MISS IT NOW
DID WE MENTION THAT HE LIVES IN NORWAY
PRE-ORDER NOW AND UNCOVER THE SECRET WORLD OF NORWAY SEEN THROUGH THE EYES OF NONE OTHER THAN KARL OVE KNAUSGARD HIMSELF
IT'S A LIMITED SERIES SO YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS IT
PRE-ORDER NOW
YOU KNOW WE'RE RIGHT
THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS IT
DID WE MENTION THAT HE HAS A NORWEGIAN CRITICS AWARD?!?!
PRE-ORDER NOW AND UNCOVER THE SECRET WORLD OF GLOOMY NORWEGIAN CRITICS SEEN THROUGH THE EYES OF NONE OTHER THAN KARL OVE KNAUSGARD HIMSELF
IT'S A LIMITED SERIES !!?!!?
DON'T MISS IT NOW
PRE-ORDER
DID WE MENTION THAT IT ALSO INCLUDES STORIES ABOUT HIS FRIENDS
REAL-LIFE STORIES BY REAL-LIFE PEOPLE
DON'T MISS IT NOW
PRE-ORDER NOW AND UNCOVER THE SECRET WORLD OF EXACTLY THOSE REAL-LIFE NORWEGIAN PEOPLE WHO WOULD GO ON TO BECOME FRIENDS WITH KARL OVE KNAUSGARD, SEEN THROUGH THE EYES OF NONE OTHER THAN KARL OVE KNAUSGARD HIMSELF
IT'S A LIMITED SERIES
>>
I've read the first and fourth books of My Struggle. Honestly I really like it, sort of a very modern Proustian effort.
>>
In this thread: people who read books by equally uninteresting authors but for some reason don't disregard them in the same context that they do Knausgaard.
>>
>>8192928
>equally uninteresting authors
I don't read books by Stephanie Meyer though.
>>
the comfiest of contemporary writers, to be sure
>>
Guy is fucking trash. Do not believe the hype.
It's like pop music... It's fucking shit and you can feel it but occasionally you find yourself nodding along to it.

I'd rather read the latest installment of Harry Potter and the Crock of Shit, at least that way I'd have something to laugh at before crying.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.