[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great women of /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: silhouette-woman-drafting.jpg (16 KB, 275x218) Image search: [Google]
silhouette-woman-drafting.jpg
16 KB, 275x218
Best female writers?

Post 'em if you got 'em.
>>
me
>>
>>8190565
Austen is my waifu
>>
>>8190573
Post either feet or writings please.
>>
>>8190565
Woolf
O'Connor
Elliot
Dickinson
Plath
>>
Anne Carson
Joan Didion
Cora Diamond

Not well read in the classics like
>>8190583
>>
>>8190565
rebecca sugar 2bh
>>
>>8190565
The only thing women should be writing are shopping lists
>>
>>8190631
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>8190631
but langston hughes wasn't a woman
>>
>>8190640
You are a moron for even responding to that.
>>
>>8190631
>r9k
>>
>>8190565
Austen
Sappho
Carson
Eliot
Munro
O'Connor
>>
>>8190652
Woolf
Arendt
>>
>>8190646
What is that picture?
>>
File: 1463461633195.png (210 KB, 1731x585) Image search: [Google]
1463461633195.png
210 KB, 1731x585
>>8190565
We could expect from the woman that, by her existence naturally revolving around the tragedy and the drama, she would become an artist, a creator, an inventor, but that would be missing the evidence that the female does not live through such excruciating lives. The woman remains poorly creative, precisely for she has an interest in art, for she believes that she has “something to say”. Her interest for the expression is personal, always directed inwards her.
On the contrary, the masculine angst brings some abilities, themselves leading to creativity : mostly as males who seek the feminine approval through the mundane activities as well as the comfort, the men are not interested in the drama nor the tragedy, even less when their lives are filled of events of these natures, but those few at ease with communication becomes the perfect artist, inventor or creator, which attracts, incidentally, the female. The lesser exposition towards the female of the alpha men leads those rare men naturally to a strong intellect, or for the fewest, to wisdom, foresight, in particular once equipped with equanimity.
>>
>>8190675
>(You)
>>
>>8190670
i dunno, some random pic from my folder of trash

somehow it was supposed to symbolize langston hughes if he was a white sheepgirl
>>
>>8190622
mah nigga
>>
Y'all forgot Iris Murdoch
>>
>>8190675
So what I'm getting from this is you have no earthly idea how men work aside from stereotypes you think are positive.
>>
Who cares if the author is female or male in contemporary writing? There is no longer anything fundementally different in what they write about, or how they write. What's the point?
>>
>>8190784
>there's nothing fundamentally different about books that have the Hamlet plot so I wouldn't mind only reading that
>>
>>8190784
>There is no longer anything fundementally different in what they write about, or how they write.

Are you kidding? 95% of the writings of classic female literary and philosophical authors is ABOUT women and womanish bullshit. If we're counting all authors, women overwhelmingly write about women, and overwhelmingly write lowbrow schlock horseshit.

Men write a lot of horseshit too, of course, but at least the classic male literary and philosophical authors write about everything under the sun.

If you pick up a classic book by a man, you're just as likely to get a great work of Kantian epistemology or universal political ethics as a book about the trials of the industrial revolution in France, the paths to gnosticism, or the history of musical perception. If you pick up a classic book by a woman, it's 95% likely to be
>It is a fact universally acknowledged that woman tampon clitoris vagina labia I'm a woman woman here femanon here did you know I'm a woman here is the story about women women who are women in a time of extreme turbulence for vagina women woman tampon don't you want to hear about me cunt guvna
>>
>>8190810
Are you a girl?
>>
>>8190810
>Are you kidding? 95% of the writings of classic female literary and philosophical authors is ABOUT women and womanish bullshit.

There is nothing fundamentally negative about this, even if it were true, than it is negative about you.
>>
>>8190810
I said contemporary writing
>>
>>8190675
kek the poster in your image comes across as an anon who's salty that's his sisters are more competent and social than he is, whilst he wastes his life whining on 4chan
>>
>>8190835
shhh, his dream it's to be a housewife as his third sister :3

>>8190810
it's not really true nowadays
not like it was completely true back then too
>>
>>8190821
Yes, and (unfortunately) gay
>>
File: Elfriede_Jelinek.jpg (64 KB, 402x504) Image search: [Google]
Elfriede_Jelinek.jpg
64 KB, 402x504
>>8190565
Every German-speaker will agree. I don't know whether her works translate well though.
>>
Stein
>>
>>8190860
Okay then I guess women really do suck tho not literally in your case.
>>8190890
I read a book of hers in translation and really liked it.
>>
Jeanette Winterson
>>
>>8190896
Where should I start with Stein?
>>8190860
>verifying your gender on 4chan
Don't fucking do that.
>(unfortunately)
Sappho cries in her grave
>>
Betty Smith is one who wasn't mentioned yet.
>>
Isak Dinesen
>>
>>8190902
English or another language? The point is that I have a hard time imagining the inherent violence of her style, paired with that almost child-like (or rather children's-book-author-like) playfulness really working in any language other than German.
But then again, I've read a lot of English and other non-German literature but never a proper English translation of a German work.
>>
>>8190810
But I'm reading a book on Kantian philosophy by Onora O'Neill now.
>>
>>8190958
Schwedisch
>>
>>8190962
Ah, sweet. Oh the gallons of spunk I wasted on Swedish coming of age novels.
>>
>>8190970
What books?
>>
>>8190974
Geez, you got me there. I can't recall on which ones I fapped.
Hey but I do very much recall those that set me up for adult life back in in my very early teens – Berts dagböcker (is that the correct plural? my knowledge concerning Swedish morphology is rather limited) by Anders Jacobsson and Sören Olsson. Couldn't think of a better read if you were a teen in 90s Europe.
>>
>>8191005
>is that the correct plural
Yes. And my dad read one of those to me when I was little enough that he would read to me. Awkward af.
>>
>>8190974
Oh shit. I'm sorry. I was thinking of a book by DANISH author Peter Seeberg there. The title (i.e. the title's German translation – I have absolutely no idea of its original title) roughly translated to "The girl with the seashell necklace". Man, that one had it all.

>Yes. And my dad read one of those to me when I was little enough that he would read to me. Awkward af.
Oh dear. Well, the first one is still rather child-friendly, but they get decidedly more mature and more clearly directed towards teen-aged readers as the series progresses.
>>
STELLA GIBBONS. "Cold Comfort Farm"
Gertrude Stein
Carson McKullers "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"
Charlotte Bronte. A lot of people don't like Wuthering Heights, but I kind of like it. When it was published under a pseudonym people liked it, when it finally came out that it was written by a woman, people started tearing it apart.

Angela Carter "The Passion of New Eve." - It's pretty female obsessed, and it's all about women's stuff. It's very feminist, but it's also quite interesting and readable. The content is surreal. Written during the time period that New York City was going through massive social upheaval and general social anarchy and that really shows through, quite explicitly.
>>
>>8191021
>>8191036
Ah, found it. The original title of the novel is "Frosten hjaelper" – so, as it is, for the Swedish title you probably either just have to replace some vowels there... or it's completely different (since even the Danish themselves don't understand their language... but hey, since the words "frost" and "hjälp" also exist in Swedish... maybe it's aclled "Frostens hjälper"...)
>>
>>8190565
Gertrude Stein
>>
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Elizabeth Bishop
>>
>>8191188
>Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Noice
>>
Sarah Kane should be bigger on /lit/ than she is.
>>
>>8192587
>playwright
You expect too much from this place
>Her plays deal with themes of redemptive love, sexual desire, pain, torture
I get how you're thinking though.
>>
>>8192608
m8, her plays don't all have stage directions, and some are for screen. that puts her near artaud and beckett in form, and she's not unheard of on /lit/. fuck off and read her instead of skimming wikipedia like an insipid cunt.
>>
>>8190565
>Best female writers?
i dont know any worth mentioning, only a few that i dont actually care for. rand wasnt terrible, i just dont agree with her opinions for the most part
>>
>>8192650
Why are you angry at me?
>>
>>8192678
because you waste your life and not even at the theatre.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZjplLullc
>>
>>8190565
Anne Frank
>>
>>8190565
Woooolfeee
Yourcenar
Highsmith

Dead white lesbians can be enjoyable
>>
>>8190915
The only Stein book I've read is The Making of Americans - it's bretty gud.
>>
Colette.

I don't care what you guys think, I find her writing comfy as fuck.
>>
>>8192937
You read the whole thing?
>>
>>8192958
Of course.
>>
>>8192945
>comfy as fuck
i'm sure the lesbian and hebophilia content are just a bonus not what makes it comfy. others might not believe you
>>
>>8190583
listing already well-known authors like its a contest is not a discussion you textureless twat
>>
>>8192962
>Of course.

Do you read technical manuals for fun, or something? That book is notoriously dry and long-winded.
>>
>>8193012
>Do you read technical manuals for fun
That phase is waaaay behind me.
>>
File: Fluxor.png (397 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Fluxor.png
397 KB, 450x300
Did this Ecuadorian model
Publish her novel ?
>>
>>8193901
Who?
>>
>>8190631

Nice
>>
File: 1466397330733[1].jpg (323 KB, 1150x510) Image search: [Google]
1466397330733[1].jpg
323 KB, 1150x510
What did 'totle mean by this?
>>
I didn't read many because I don't really care about the sex of the author, but Hannukah Arendt (reading her now) is great.
Flannery O'Connor is easily one of the absolute best short story writers.
Edith Stein did a solid job at bringing scholastic metaphysics back into view after almost 400 years of neglect.
I didn't like Virginia Woolf much, but I can't deny she's a capable author, even if she had pretty significant problems with crafting genuine male characters.
Ursula le Guin is one of the best science fiction and fantasy authors.
Teresa of Avila is one of the most important spiritual writers in history and she's great.
Ivana Brlic Mazuranic is the best author of children stories of the 19th century and an essential author of mythical fantasy
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.