[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for books about jazz. I got the obvious ones, History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 21
File: stcoltrane.jpg (115 KB, 633x768) Image search: [Google]
stcoltrane.jpg
115 KB, 633x768
Looking for books about jazz. I got the obvious ones, History of Jazz by Ted Giola and the Autobiography of Miles. What else should I get?
What is the best book about Coltrane?

Novels with jazz as theme, as well as other kinds of literature are encouraged too. I remember Julio Cortazar writing a lot about jazz.
>>
>>8190507
I love jazz!
Davis, Coltrane, the list could go on...
>>
>>8190507
Read Adorno, he was redpilled
>>
>>8190524
Just because they're popular doesn't mean that they're bad. Also, they're pretty important too, I'd even say that they're essential for any jazz fan.
>>
File: Julio Cortázar 33.jpg (167 KB, 1347x900) Image search: [Google]
Julio Cortázar 33.jpg
167 KB, 1347x900
>>
>>8190548
I never said they were bad or inessential.
>>
>>8190548

Miles is one of the few musicians that truly deserve to be called "best ever"
>>
>>8190560
>Miles is one of the few musicians that truly deserve to be called "best ever"
Wouldn't there be exactly one?
>>
Coming Through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje

Jazz by Toni Morrison
>>
File: tymanski i bowie.jpg (119 KB, 695x702) Image search: [Google]
tymanski i bowie.jpg
119 KB, 695x702
>>
>>8190567

Cmon now, let's control our autisms
>>
Seconding Adorno's racist, bigoted essays.
>>
>>8190593
does Bolan have a dank jazz scene? I always see Poles uploading pretty good 60s/70s jazz on youtube.
>>
Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece by Ashley Kahn is pretty good, covers the making of the record as well as shining some light on all the players.
>>
>>8190804
Yes, there's a whole genre called "yass" which is avant-garde jazz, usually mixed with other genres, folk, punk, electronic. Also there's a lot of good jazz from the past, like Komeda, Stańko, Namysłowski or
Andrzej Trzaskowski.

Good places to start with yass are Miłość - Miłość (it's rather "normal" jazz), Miłość - Taniec Smoka (more of yass) and Mazzol & Arhytmic Perfection - a.
>>
>>8191042
Oh, yass is from the nineties, and it was rebelling against the state of jazz in that time, which was really bad. Old musicians acting like they're important and the best, everything that was experimental and nice couldn't get popular, or even play in the clubs, the young musicians could only try to imitate the old players and the american classics. So some people decided to rebel against it, started playing their thing, and not caring about the jazz scene. They did a lot of improvisation, while the jazz scene in Poland was mostly about imitating and playing old tunes. So they were experimenting, improvising and just playing their own music.

Here's a list of those famous Polish Jazz records - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Frippotronic/polskie_nagrania_muza___polish_jazz_vol__xx/
>>
Lewis Porter's bio on Coltrane is hands-down the best out there. Focus is on Trane as a musician. In this aspect it's heavy on the technical side meant for the musician.
>>
Reminder that Harold Bloom thinks hard-bop was a mistake and his opinions are never wrong.
>>
Steppenwolf (:
>>
>>8190544
This.
>>
>>8191321
What does that quote mean
>>
File: mikołaj trzaska.jpg (54 KB, 607x504) Image search: [Google]
mikołaj trzaska.jpg
54 KB, 607x504
>>
>>8190544
>>8190795
>>8191321
can someone give me a quick overview of Adorno's problem with jazz?
>>
>>8191343
he was a contrarian
>>
>>8191343

He thought the rhythms conditioned one to be happy with our fascist society, or something.
>>
File: Albert_Ayler.jpg (59 KB, 220x333) Image search: [Google]
Albert_Ayler.jpg
59 KB, 220x333
bump
>>
>>8191402
and here I was thinking jazz was anti-fascist.
>>
>>8191523
anti-fascist at the level of coping strategies and ideological containment within fascist architecture, not of conscious revolutionary politics
>>
>>8191402
i bet what he'd think about pop music then
>>
>>8191343
muh culture industry
>>
>>8190507
Read Nathaniel Mackey's From a Broken Bottle Traces of Perfume Still Eminate
Not that Toni Morrison Jazz. I swear she wrote that book just to try and fit in.
>>
>>8191593
>From a Broken Bottle Traces of Perfume Still Eminate

Sounds interesting, thanks!
>>
I just finished But Beautiful by Geoff Dyer. It follows -- semi-fictitiously -- the lives of eight famous jazz artists: Duke Ellington, Lester Young, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Ben Webster, Chet Baker, Art Pepper, Charles Mingus. It's sort of like musical criticism written through fiction, i.e. he talks about the way these musicians played and what made them unique in their style and their lives through the lens of short biographical vignettes. The afterword to the book is a seven part musical criticism piece about jazz as a genre. All in all, it is well-written and a great length (around 200 pages) to read in under a week, and absorb a lot.
>>
Robin Kelley's biography of Monk is quite good.
I also really enjoyed Herbie Hancock's autobiography, especially in comparison with Miles' because they show different viewpoints on the same events.
>>
On the road
>>
you've probably read it as well but Triumph of the Underdog is crazy.

Also Mingus's cat toilet training pamphlet.
>>
>>8190544
>sit in the dark and listen to bach. anything else is inauthentic and alienating
>>
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_People
>>
>>8194415
Thanks!
>>
File: jacek olter.jpg (25 KB, 467x324) Image search: [Google]
jacek olter.jpg
25 KB, 467x324
>>
File: charlie parker.jpg (77 KB, 948x1264) Image search: [Google]
charlie parker.jpg
77 KB, 948x1264
>>
>>8190507
>>
File: cannonball.jpg (23 KB, 645x890) Image search: [Google]
cannonball.jpg
23 KB, 645x890
>>
File: dizzy gillespie.jpg (159 KB, 1280x861) Image search: [Google]
dizzy gillespie.jpg
159 KB, 1280x861
>>
I'm not even sure if there's been this much jazz on /mu/. Thanks op.

Also, second Mingus's "Beneath the Underdog". Crazy, crazy man, that Charles Mingus.
>>
>>8191343
It wasn't atonal classical, I guess.

Basically, he didn't like how jazz music allowed for repetition (other people covering the same songs), kind of had mass appeal, and wasn't really dissonant enough to implicitly capture the post-Auschwitz world like Beckett could do.

But he had no clue what he was talking about. Ignored a ton of jazz to prove his point, said a couple things that could be taken for mildly racist against blacks. Countless people have disproved him.

He said stupid shit about poetry as well and then backtracked when Celan proved him wrong. He sucked up to Schoenberg and Schoenberg thought his was a pretentious twat and didn't want anything to do with him.
>>
Adorno changed his mind on jazz after hearing better stuff. His anti-jazz stance was based on early vocal jazz, not bop, post bop, free, etc.
>>
File: charlie mingus.jpg (1 MB, 897x1345) Image search: [Google]
charlie mingus.jpg
1 MB, 897x1345
>>
>>8194888
He never changed his mind.

Bepob was just as shit as as early vocal jazz.

He never bothered to understand the Coltrane key changes. He probably would have done some mental gymnastics to argue that Thelonious Monk was "complicit."
>>
File: charlie mingus2.jpg (152 KB, 1024x616) Image search: [Google]
charlie mingus2.jpg
152 KB, 1024x616
>>
File: peter brotzmann.jpg (21 KB, 460x396) Image search: [Google]
peter brotzmann.jpg
21 KB, 460x396
>>
File: monkt.jpg (27 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
monkt.jpg
27 KB, 640x360
>>
File: krzysiu komeda.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
krzysiu komeda.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
>>
I really enjoyed this book, but I'm not sure how interesting it would be to a non-musician. Part of a small series that mostly covers postwar jazz.
>>
File: sunra.jpg (2 MB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
sunra.jpg
2 MB, 1800x1800
>>
>>8194415
I can't say anything about the quality of this book, but Mezzrow is an embarrassment of a jazz musician. More of a glorified drug dealer than anything.
>>
>>8190507
delillo says jazz has had a major influence on all his writings
>>
File: pharoah sanders.jpg (286 KB, 900x589) Image search: [Google]
pharoah sanders.jpg
286 KB, 900x589
>>
File: Mikolaj-Trzaska.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
Mikolaj-Trzaska.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1280
>>
Josef Skvorescky
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.