[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can translating a book make the book worse or even ruin it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Can translating a book make the book worse or even ruin it?
>>
Potentially yeah
>>
>>8190081
did you seriously have to ask this?
>>
>>8190081
are you retarded?
>>
The more interesting question would be if a translation can make a book better than the original.
But the only thing I can come up with is more of a /co/ thing: the german translation of Carl Barks's comics improved them a lot because the translator used a more sophisticated language and added quotes from Schiller, Goethe, Heine, etc.
Does anyone know a book where a translation made it better or at least as good but in a unique way?
>>
>>8190159
The English translation of Lolita is much better than the Russian.
>>
>>8190164
DUDE DORITOS LMAO
>>
>>8190164
Not funny.
>>
>>8190159
Hungarian translations of Lovecraft's works are better,thanks to the more varid use of adjectives.
>>
>>8190159
>Carl Barks's comics
>added quotes from Schiller, Goethe, Heine
the fuck?
>>
>>8190190
It's true, that's how I found out about poetry when I was a kid.
>>
>>8190218
Do you know the translator's name? I think my grandma might have one of those translations...
>>
>>8190159
An essay that was part of the collegetest (lol direct translations) theorized that swedish crime fiction is popular abroad partly because translators can't be bothered to not improve them.
>>
>>8190228
She's relatively famous in Germany, her Name is Erkia Fuchs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erika_Fuchs
And just for fun here's an article about people to whom she is something close to a goddess: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaldism
>>
>>8190081
Yes, obviously.
>>
>>8190236
>Fuchs
>>
>>8190267
It means Fox.
>>
>>8190235
It's still a mystery to me how it's so popular. Sweden and Norway pump out so much crime fiction I want to vomit at how used up some of it is.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.