[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
David Sedaris
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
To those who have read David Sedaris, what do you think of him? I picked this book up for 50ยข at a library bookstore and really enjoyed it. It was an unexpectedly entertaining collection of stories to read.

tl;dr: discuss David Sedaris
>>
kept my sane during my awful fall semester in texas when i was 18, will always be thankful. not the worst popular author to read for the sake of being able to talk about him with others
>>
>>8189448
He's got some pretty funny stuff out; his books of essays are great. My favorite of those I've read is When You Are Engulfed in Flames. He's got a good Christmas book, which if I remember right is about a time he worked as a stoner mall Santa.
>>
File: Lori-Singer-in-Short-Cuts.jpg (107 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Lori-Singer-in-Short-Cuts.jpg
107 KB, 768x1024
>>8189458
Santaland diaries was the final essay in OP pic, perhaps thats what you're referring to. And I want to read another Sedaris book now, would you recommend that I go with When You Are Engulfed In Flames?
>>
>>8189456
I agree, when I read him i don't feel as manic/anxious/depressed as I usually do. And what do you mean in regards to talking about him with others?

Also, any of his books that you recommend i should check out? I believe my OP pic was his first book, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
>>
>>8189476
More people in the general public today have read David Sedaris than, say, Virginia Woolf, so it's just a good opportunity to talk about books. Almost everyone older than 30 has heard him on NPR or something at least once.

I really liked Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (see: 'Six to Eight Black Men') and When You Are Engulfed in Flames (see: 'The Smoking Section')

Barrel Fever is, as far as I know, his only book with fiction stories.
>>
File: 1449033700857.png (50 KB, 753x689) Image search: [Google]
1449033700857.png
50 KB, 753x689
He was formative on my sense of humor as a teenager. Not hard hitting lit, but hes a funny guy.

Check out his bit on black slaves in some european christmas traditions.
>>
Im pleasantly surprised at lit embracing sedaris
>>
>>8189525
for the record this is 'six to eight black men' as mentioned in this post >>8189494
>>
I read all his books in high school. Lent them all to my friend and he never gave them back and doesn't speak to me anymore.
Anyway, I loved him. He's very funny. About as deep as a dime, but he's entertaining.
>>
>>8189525
>tfw I even like Amy Sedaris
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.