[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you read and enjoy authors that you disagree with?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Mircea.eliade(1).jpg (12 KB, 248x321) Image search: [Google]
Mircea.eliade(1).jpg
12 KB, 248x321
Do you read and enjoy authors that you disagree with?
>>
disagree on what?

i don't make it a point to look up an author's every opinion before reading them, so i probably do.
>>
I read ride the tiger recently. The first 100 pages were garbage but I quite enjoyed the rest which amounted to old man complaining in the best possible way.

So yes
>>
Evelyn Waugh, one of my favourite authors, was a reactionary aristocracy-wannabe tory racist catholic who disliked anyone who hadn't been to Eton. Just about any opinion he had, I'd probably disagree with it, but he could write, and his novels are fantastic.
>>
I love Kerouac even though he was a long island conservative, one of the most insidious breeds of Americans
>>
>>8189098
You know, I was about to start this. I haven't read any Evola before but I'm familiar with his thinking and with other reactionaries/esoterics.

But what I was looking for is something that describes a philosophy for living, daily behavior and outlook, etc. Is that what it is?
>>
>>8189093
Yes. There are many smart people that I don't agree with.
How would you even get into philosophy if you can't read authors that hold a different opinion than you?
And why should I not be able to recognize the contributions of Kant, for example, even if I'm not a Kantian?
>>
I really enjoy Jung, Freud or Lacan but I don't believe in psychoanalisis
>>
>>8189093
Tolstoy, Nabokov, Nietzsche, Celine, Waugh, Duras, Auden, Chesterton, Blake, the list goes on. Most of my favorite authors are people I disagree with on many subjects.
>>
>>8189690
>enjoy reading Lacan
nice try, faggot
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.