[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just read this and it's tedious as fuck. why is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: farenheit.jpg (95 KB, 648x1000) Image search: [Google]
farenheit.jpg
95 KB, 648x1000
So I just read this and it's tedious as fuck. why is it so widely regarded even though it's vastly inferior to the likes of 1984 or We? Did I just miss out by not reading it in High School?
>>
>reading Hackbury
>>
>>8188110
it's like 5 fucking pages of baby's first dystopia, just read it.
I like it because I like Bradbury's purposeful naivety. it's cozy and endearing, but don't expect it to tell you anything you don't already know. Like a grampa.

you're definitely a faggot if you drop it.
>>
It was one of the first books, and probably the first significant book, to take on the idea of book censorship as a topic.
>>
>>8188122

But it's not even about book censorship, it's literally just "Kids these days watch too much tv" - the novel.
>>
File: 1466147980700.jpg (84 KB, 750x709) Image search: [Google]
1466147980700.jpg
84 KB, 750x709
>half-way through the book turns into an essay - putting the message the author wants you to take away in crystal clear language - through the mouth of the antagonist
>protagonist goes into the woods, finds old men and then the world erupts into nuclear war because people didn't read books
>>
I don't know why it's on the /lit/ starter recommendation on the sticky, it wasn't very good
>>
watch the film instead...
>>
>>8188307

>Truffaut
>>
>>8188136
>not even about book censorship

Confirmed to have not read the book
>>
>>8188338

I have read, whilst yes it is about censorship on a surface level the actual subtext and message of the book are not about censorship.
>>
>>8188110
This really got me into reading. I read it freshman year of hs and loved it. From there, I began reading more and more. To me, it's not meant to be regarded as high brow literature, but more of an entry level (if not YA) piece.
>>
>>8188366

My copy has really big font and a weird cover that makes it look like a kids book, it did kind of colour my perception of it.
>>
>>8188338
it's about television phasing out books
>>
>>8188321
400 blows is awesome. Fuck you.
>>
>>8188366
This anon is right.

Also, the only truly moving scene I remember from the book was the fake tv family. The way that they were explicitly designed to take advantage of lonely people and make them never care about fixing their loneliness reminded me way too much of some people I know and how they obsess over reality shows.
>>
>>8188338
Even Bradbury stresses that the point of the book wasn't censorship kike
>>
>50 pages long
>tedious as fuck

It may be garbage but one thing it is not is tedious, do you have the attention span of a goldfish?
>>
File: barthes.jpg (25 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
barthes.jpg
25 KB, 460x276
>>8188346
>>8188384
>>8189062
>>
I wouldn't call it tedious, it can be read in an afternoon. Not quite high literature though.
>>
File: samouraitip.png (159 KB, 357x362) Image search: [Google]
samouraitip.png
159 KB, 357x362
>>8188495

>400 blows is awesome
>>
I liked the book for it's simple way of reading, and how short it was. It told a small story, but with enough meaning, and didn't overstay its welcome. I mean shit nigga, it's 3 chapters. Most memorable part to me is either the first paragraph about it being a pleasure to burn, or when he roasts the shit out of his bossman.
I think a lot of people overlook some of the factors that don't deal with cencorship, but general authoritarianism, like how everyone who was a firefighter, looked like a firefighter. I gathered that the government had a large say in what people did.
>>
this is the book that predicted reality tv right?
>>
>>8188110
>Fahrenheit 451
>tedious
Give up on reading
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.