[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: file.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
What is your favorite SFF book with a mystery as its focal point?

Recommendations
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous: >>8182244
>>
Looking for something similar to Throne of Bones or the Witcher
>>
>>8187788
Maybe Elric?
>>
Has anyone read any of Elizabeth Moons stuff? Looking for a sci fi/fantasy series to read this summer.
>>
>>8187877
Elric is like poor man's Geralt.
>>
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 1440x792) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 1440x792
22 or 16 days until The Great Ordeal

What are you hyped to see in it?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (8 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
8 KB, 228x221
>>8187940
Stop this.
>>
>>8187948
Can you literally not handle one post per thread?
>>
I think The Blade Itself is the weakest of the FL trilogy. I liked Before They Are Hanged the most.
>>
>>8187971
Wrong thread
>>
>>8187566
So why shouldn't Bilbo be free to spend his well earned gold as he pleases? Why should his orphaned nephew not be allowed to share his good fortune? I can assure you that Sam didn't have to start from nothing either.
>>
Looking for some high fantasy with some good old good vs. evil and some romance stuff in it.
>>
>>8187940
>What are you hyped to see in it?

The cucking to end all cuckings.
>>
>>8187923
I liked Vatta's War but the ending was kinda flat. Apparently the Serrano series is good but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

If you haven't read it already, I'd suggest the Lost Fleet series. It's fleet action in space like Honor Harrington, but entirely more readable than David Weber going on for pages about X number of missiles meeting Y number of counter-missiles and Z number of point-defense lasers so that A number of missiles get within range and have a C probability of striking a enemy ship.
>>
Can Vampires be hard sci-fi?

http://www.rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm
>>
>>8188180
>Can Vampires be hard sci-fi?
No.
>>
>>8188188
Y-you didn't even watch the presentation
>>
>>8187940

I'm hyped for the No-God to awake at the end.

You know it's coming. Also I bet Sorwell is totally gonna score at Ishterebinth.
>>
Finally picked up The Once and Future King at my local bookstore.
What can I expect, /lit/?
>>
>>8188221
>Also I bet Sorwell is totally gonna score at Ishterebinth.

But the non-men are Consult now.
>>
>>8188236
Mythology, but with better characterization
>>
Can anyone explain why /lit/ tolerates these /v/ 'generals'?
>>
File: pkd_sketch.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
pkd_sketch.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>Reading City of the Saved
>A character called "Rick Kithred" shows up
>starts babbling about God, mind control, the Secret Architects, etc
>mfw
>>
>>8188361

Against his will maybe.

If Bakker wanted to be really shocking he could vault all the rape flags on Serwa and have Sorweel get raped instead.
>>
What sci-fi novels would you recommend for someone based solely on their liking the mix of adventure, character, and touching on philosophical themes in Star Trek: The Original Series?
>>
>>8188414
Tis a leper colony.
Segregated outside the city walls, our cancerous discourse can flourish without disturbing the effete intellectuals within. Alas, as the wafting aroma of rotted flesh draws carrion, so do we attract the potentially undesirable literary element. With the setting of each new sun, a certain boldness arises amongst our depraved brethren, foredooming the blissfully unaware to that fated day of weeping and gnashing of teeth.
>>
>>8188430
With the consult anything is possible
>>
What should I check out if I'm liking Mistborn so far (middle of book 2)
>>
>>8188546

reddit
>>
File: 1436031080320.jpg (110 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1436031080320.jpg
110 KB, 600x600
>>8187738
>talk with someone about fantasy
>one of their first reasons for liking a work is "badass female characters"
This happens way too often, when will the memes stop?
>>
>>8188546
The barrel of the closest loaded gun.
>>
>>8188622
Are you saying you have a problem with a female character being a badass, or with the idea that this necessarily means a work is good?
>>
>>8188631
The latter. Badass anything being considered a good quality is almost automatically a warning sign.
>>
>>8188622

Jesus christ we just had /pol/ shit last thread can you not do this this time?
Yes we get it you hate women, no need to go shout it in every random thread
>>
>>8188635
Depends on what you're in for. I can't imagine sword-and-sorcery without the protagonist being kind of a badass.
>>
>>8188638
>immediately shouting "WOMAN HATER!"

Didn't know /lit/ was this far left to slap labels on people that don't apply.
>>
>>8188435
To Your Scattered Bodies Go
2001 A Space Odyssey
maybe Starship Troopers
Ringworld
>>
>>8188645
/lit/ is not homogenous. stupid.
>>
>every week I go to Barnes and Noble
>every week I check out the fantasy shelf
>every week it's run of the mill SEKRIT WURLD urban fantasy shit
>when a new fantasy novel does come along, it's just another bland rehash of Tolkienien works
The publishing industry needs to burn.
>>
>>8188546
Sanderson's other works. Kingkiller Chronicle by Rothfuss.
/lit/ will hate on these because the writing is just average, yet both authors have become insanely popular recently.
>>
>>8188411
Sounds good, thanks friendo
>>
Good evening.

I'd like to read a fiction dealing with cults in a modern setting, outside of Robert Howard, Lovecraft, and Robert Silverberg's Book Of Skulls which I am already familiar with.

Something that is influenced and informed by existing cults and cult practices (including old mystics and esoteric writers) would be even better.
>>
>>8188622
Women are literally a meme right now. There's no stopping it.
>>
>>8188655
thanks man. I'm thinking stormlight archive next but what do you think of the mistborn books past the trilogy?
>>
Bought Tigana, Al-Rassan, Song for Arbonne, the Blade Itself, and the Way of Kings today.

Did i do good?
>>
>>8188663
You'll probably want to look into horror rather than fantasy, then, friendo.
>>
>>8188653
What's going to be the hip new fantasy fad, having a fantasy world that's pretty much modern times that isn't a secret world where soldiers run around with enchanted acog scopes on their ARs with magic mana bullets?

I'd actually read something like that
>>
>>8188680
The new fantasy fad is the same shit we've read before but with women as the protagonists and blacks and gays as the supporting cast. After that, the future looks dim.
>>
>>8188435
Oh and i should add that if you're open to comedy, hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy has some philosophy in it, and it feels very "classic scifi" like trek.
>>
>>8188672
>Did I do good /lit/ masters?

Why are you so desperate to seek the approval of pseudo-intellectuals?
>>
>>8188647
Thanks!
>>8188688
I've read them, but it was years ago. May reread sometime soon. Thank you.
>>
>>8188680
>enchanted acog scopes on their ARs with magic mana bullets

Been done before. It's called "military sci-fi."
>>
File: 1422398732044.jpg (57 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1422398732044.jpg
57 KB, 500x400
I decided to flip through the net for other communities where SFF is commonly discussed.

Of course, one of the first results was Reddit.

I asked myself, "How bad could it be?"

It's that bad, guys.

It's that bad.
>>
>>8188667
Actually haven't checked them out yet, sorry. Ending of the final book in the Mistborn trilogy is a little out there, but you'll probably enjoy it. I've heard the other ones are just as good and carry on the spirit of the first trilogy very well, despite being set in a different time with different characters.
If you're not too invested in the Mistborn world by the end of the first trilogy, just jump over to Stormlight Achieve. It's Sanderson's first real attempt at an epic fantasy (Mistborn and most of his other stuff can feel like action/adventure over fantasy at times), and he does quite well. The Way of Kings got some pretty high praise, and I've never seen it hated on around here. The world is far more fleshed-out compared to Sanderson's other stuff and other modern fantasy epics in general. Definitely worth checking out.
>>
>>8188672
I read Tigana a decade ago. I recall ASOIAF levels of incestuous sex.

>>8188673
IMO I am in the correct place. The religious and occult are in the realms of fantasy as well as horror. And I am loathe to making a new thread when it isn't necessary.
>>
>>8188705
alright thanks mate, I'll read the way of kings next
>>
File: image.jpg (345 KB, 1095x795) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
345 KB, 1095x795
>>8188696
I'm not.
>>
File: image.jpg (326 KB, 1600x1195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
326 KB, 1600x1195
>>8188706
>I read Tigana a decade ago. I recall ASOIAF levels of incestuous sex.
>>
>>8188680
Sounds like the Shadow Ops series by Myke Cole.

>Across the country and in every nation, people are waking up with magical talents. Untrained and panicked, they summon storms, raise the dead, and set everything they touch ablaze.

>Army officer Oscar Britton sees the worst of it. A lieutenant attached to the military's Supernatural Operations Corps, his mission is to bring order to a world gone mad. Then he abruptly manifests a rare and prohibited magical power, transforming him overnight from government agent to public enemy number one.

>The SOC knows how to handle this kind of situation: hunt him down--and take him out. Driven into an underground shadow world, Britton is about to learn that magic has changed all the rules he's ever known, and that his life isn't the only thing he's fighting for.
>>
>>8188638
>Jesus christ we just had /pol/ shit last thread can you not do this this time?
No we didn't.
>>
>>8188192
We've all read Blindsight m8.
>>
File: 1466145057764.jpg (137 KB, 800x712) Image search: [Google]
1466145057764.jpg
137 KB, 800x712
>>8188638
>Yes we get it you hate women
>If you don't want mary sues inserted into your books because of political bullshit then you hate people with vaginas
This meme needs to die.
>>
>>8188798

>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1465322920500.jpg (18 KB, 475x309) Image search: [Google]
1465322920500.jpg
18 KB, 475x309
>>8188803
>>
>>8188814
>roastie detected
>>
>>8188803
>>8188814
>>>/trash/
>>
>>8187738
The Baley trilogy of Asimov.
>>
Is the lord of moonspawn Moonman?
I keep waiting for the triple-K mafia but I'm not seeing anything yet
>>
PLEASE SOMOENE TELL ME FELICIA WILL FUCKING DIE
GOD DAMN THAT FOUL HAG
THAT FUCKING WITCH
stupid fucking girl PLEASE DIE
i dont care for spoilers just PLEASE TELL ME SHE DIES
>>
I recently finished Roadside Picnic and was wondering if there are any similar books?
I love the idea of a Zone with dangerous flora/fauna and other strange phenomena
>>
>>8189141
s.t.a.l.k.e.r.: southern comfort :^)
>>
File: 17934530.jpg (39 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
17934530.jpg
39 KB, 317x475
>>8189141
pic related

>>8189188
Kek
>>
Thanks, I'll check those out
>>
>>8189141
Solaris has a strange kind of zone with dangerous and strange phenomena
it's pretty different, but not that different
>>
>>8187925
It's the other way around, Geralt is a copy of Elric.
>>8188655
>writing is average

No, it's utter garbage for cretins.
>>8188672
Partially.
The Blade itself is trash, Way of Kings is anime writing, Tigana and Lions still haven't been assessed, so you have hope.
>>
I really want to try my hand at writing a fantasy novel set in a medieval setting with great morally ambiguous characters but I'm afraid it would just come off as a Ice and Fire rip off.

I know Martin wanted to do a fantasy story that broke all the mundane cliches that he saw going on around him in the genre at the time, but now it feels like his own creation has ironically done the same.

If I write something with real characters and real consequences in a similar environment, I will feel as though I'm just rehashing what has become popular. I dunno what to do.
>>
>>8189403

As long as it's well written it literally doesn't matter. GRRM leans too heavily on soap opera anyway, and his real talent is sci fi more than fantasy.
>>
>>8188672
Lions of Al-Rassan and A Song for Arbonne are two of my favourite Kay reads. Tigana much less so.

The Blade Itself is only OK, but I think the trilogy is greater than the sum of its parts.

Way of Kings is bloat central, but if you like epic fantasy, you'll find it plenty there.
>>
>>8189409
Is there anywhere with like minded people in this thread that I can toss around a few ideas with? Do I just use this thread or what
>>
>>8189417
Just chat here m8, unless you're afraid someone's guna steal your epic OC.
>>
>>8189403
> great morally ambiguous
Dry water etc.
>>
>>8189419
Nah dgaf about "muh ideas". Do you know of any good fantasy (not high fantasy but grounded) that sets it's story in the middle of a plague? I've been tossing about with the idea of doing a sort of grounded fantasy novel with said disease as the backdrop. The idea being the capital of the region shuts it's gates to the rest of it's country to keep the disease out while the outside world falls apart.
>>
>>8189431
Masque of the Red Death?
>>
Where can I post some of my sff short stories to gain some e-recognition? What are some more popular sites/forums?
I've been thinking to put my billion year deviantArt account to good use but people there don't care about literature, only furry shit.
>>
>>8189466
Can't hurt to at least try.

Suicidal fatalism doesn't really solve anything
>>
>>8189431
Have you played Dishonored?
>>
feel really good as a sanderson fan.

Read the White Sand graphic novel in advance of one week before it was published.
>>
>>8189491
Yes it does
>>
>>8189523
>Start with no e-recognition
>End with no e-recognition
Really solved your problem.
>>
After the torturous prose of The Red Knight, Iron Dragons Daughter is a treat, comparative to drinking juice when your mouth is dry and your breath smells.
>>
>>8189539

Not the shill, but it is a good book. That Breitbart pleb ""journalist"" from the last thread insulted it but i doubt he's even read it.
>>
>>8189553
It's quite original and the best thing is, it's dark, but not the I'm a leftist, war is bad I'll write a Martin clone grimdark.
>>
>>8189123

Please respond
>>
>>8189591
How are we supposed to know what the fuck you are talking about?
>>
>>8189597

Malazan 2nd book the stupid fucking girl
>>
>>8189123
>>8189591
what the fuck are you talking about you stupid nigger
>>
>>8189601
You mean Felisin? She survives and gets godlike superpowers. All her companions die protecting her, and she never admits she was wrong.
>>
>>8189602

shut the fuck up you spear chugging melanin enriched fuckface you'll learn your place when the moon shines white

I'm talking about this stupid fucking 15/16 year old whore who is a fucking retarded little girl who should fucking die
>>
>>8189606
Is she the one that got possessed when her dad was killed in Gardens of the Moon? I never finished it. The scene changed and all of a sudden she was with the Bridgeburners or something.
>>
>>8189621
No. She is parans sister mentioned once in gotm also some of the poems are from her.
>>
>>8189625
her bulldyke sister kills her
>>
>>8189621

You're thinking of Sorry or whatever the name she took afterwards, this is the Ajeon Lons's sister who was sent to the slave camps but she's a fucking spiteful cunt who constantly talks down and insults the people who are saving her life constantly and who are literally the only reason she is still alive fuckiong cunt I want to see that bitch FUCKING BLEED

>>8189603

Why? Please god why. This is the first time I've read a book and got feels, I feel anger fucking immense anger I can't fucking stand that she survives god fucking damn fuck
>>
>>8189625
I had no idea what was going on. There was this band of cool mercenaries but they almost all died breaking a siege on some city, and this magic castle shows up and a bunch of wizards on the mercenaries' side blast magic at it, and they win but lose most of their army, and there's this fat wizard chick who gets all the young guys, and these twin gods of luck that I thought were pretty cool were choosing somebody, and some dude was figuring out these magic tunnels? And there were these cool black guys from another continent that were a little magical, I don't think that was Black Company, they were traitors to their homeland or something.

And just when it seemed like it was coming together we cut to this assassin running over rooftops somewhere else but then he dies. That's about where I lost interest.

It's not like I'm short on attention span, I followed BotNS pretty well, but that book was all over the place. And it feels like a sin to start a series with the second book.
>>
>>8189646

From what I've heard (I'm only on the second book), the first book is basically a very long introduction, and from what I understand reading it so far, you will have no fucking idea what is going on until half of the book, I started the second book and it was like wtf, who are all these fuckers, where are all my bridge burners, suddenly all new characters, no god damned idea what was going on, but near the middle, or even 1/3rd of the book you kind of start to see what is going on
It's pretty good, I like it, you have to figure something out yourself, you're not just bombarded with what is going on like some other authors do ************sanderson*************
>>
>>8189646
>It's not like I'm short on attention span, I followed BotNS pretty well, but that book was all over the place

I literally have ADHD and I can barely focus on anything, my extensive stimulant usage has also fucked my brain up so even meds don't help me that much, and even I am getting through it, you have no excuses
>>
>>8189653
>it's not badly written you just have to figure it out lol
It helps when the clues are actually there and it's not just a mess. I know you've got this incentive to justify your time spent but GotM is bad. Sorry. Other authors know how to put narratives together, some of them know how to weave mysteries into them, even the form of them, Erikson does not.
>>
>>8189633
Yes. But why are you telling me that?
>>8189646
You read the first 50 pages of a book that is notoriously bad at explaining itself if you want to read the series you have to read the whole book and it will start to make sense.
Also you misunderstood many important plot points, the Malazan army are no mercenaries and the "black company" are essentially humanoid bugs and allied with the Malazans.
>>
>>8189653
Have you read Sanderson or are you memeing? Because while he has many, many flaws, intrusive exposition is not one.
>>
>>8189663
>some of them know how to weave mysteries into them, even the form of them, Erikson does not.
He does, better then any other author.
The problem is you wont understand them when reading the book the first time.
>>
>>8189667
Bridgeburners were mercenaries, right? Black Company was another dark fantasy that I couldn't get into, I worry I've got plot points mixed up.

>>8189662
You don't understand. I COULD have pushed on, but I just didn't want to.
>>
>>8189672
I'm sure he knows how to make mysteries. He does not, in my experience, set those mysteries alongside a coherent narrative, so that the mystery and the narrative coexist, thus "weaving" them into a solid whole.
>>
>>8189663
>>8189669

I'm new to reading books, all I have read so far has been very straight forward, sure, there are mysteries that you can only understand or some intricacies if you actually think instead of just consume, seeing as I am by definition, according to the IQ test my psychologist gave me, retarded, I think I am the most qualified to say when something is explained easily, rather than when you have to think for yourself, and with Erikson you do have to think for yourself, with Sanderson all I had to do was consume, read, without thinking and I understood what was going on, my memory is bad and I can't recall other examples from other authors off the top of my head I guess I am ranting I have been up for 50 hours and I'm now drinking which adds to my brain damage but that is not the point
>>
>>8189653
Yeah, if only all the other authors wrote books like Gardens of the Moon, am I right?
>>
>>8189682
Needless complexity is not a virtue. And stop killing yourself.
>>
>>8189674
>Bridgeburners were mercenaries, right?
As I said they are not they are a famous company that is part of one of the Army of the Malazan empire.
What you mean by "black company" are companies of black moranth the humanoid bugs I mentioned.
>>8189680
He does that. The problem with the first book is that you don't know what is happening in the other books or when rereading you will actually understand what deeper history he build into all his books.
>>
>>8189697
No, what I mean by "black company" is literally Glen Cook's The Black Company because I tried reading it at around the same time.

>>8189697
>when rereading you will actually understand what deeper history he build into all his books.
So not only do I have to push through this rotten mess of a book I have to do it twice?
>>
File: 2016-06-21-04-59-29-2060083242.jpg (6 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-21-04-59-29-2060083242.jpg
6 KB, 188x268
>It says here that you think my books are "unreadable trash"... care to expand on that statement?

Well?
>>
File: cigar implant.webm (2 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
cigar implant.webm
2 MB, 852x480
>>8189700
Did I stutter?
>>
>>8189700

Literally who?
>>
>>8189706
Reverse image search says he's some Abercrombie and Fitch model.
>>
>>8189706
joe abercrombie m8

he's my fantasy husbando (along with Meiville)
>>
>>8189699
>So not only do I have to push through this rotten mess of a book I have to do it twice?
No. You can read it once and then enjoy the rest of the series and when you re-read it you will find out that the first book is actually quite good if you understand what is going on.

I told you about the black moranth because the name black company is both in Malazan and in the total of Glen cooks books and I though you might have mixed some of the plot points up.
>>
File: wiedzmin.png (3 MB, 1225x975) Image search: [Google]
wiedzmin.png
3 MB, 1225x975
Ciri single-handedly ruined this series.
>>
>>8189721
The books aren't that good anyway.
They aren't bad but they aren't as good as people hype them up to be.
>>
So let's sum it up.

>High Tier

Wolfe
Tolkien
Peake
Le Guin
Lieber
Howard
Vance

>Middle Tier

Moorcock
GRRM
Sanderson (WoK)
Erikson

>Shit Tier

Rothfuss
Abercrombie
Lynch
Sanderson (Mistborn)

>Braid Tugging Tier

Jordan

Am I getting this right
>>
>>8189721
She's the author's waifu. The series exists BECAUSE of her.

>>8189723
>The books aren't that good anyway.
This. The short stories were amusing spins on classic fairy tales, but the hype is overblown.
>>
>>8189725
No.

It goes like this

High tier:
Books I enjoy

Shit tier:
Books you enjoy
>>
>>8189725
>>Violent Cucking Tier
>Bakker
>>
>>8189638
Felisin is a BEST
>>
>>8189737

I will skin you alive
>>
How do you write strong, independent Christian characters?
>>
>>8189741
You don't because they don't exist. Christians are delusional and dependent by default.
>>
>>8189741

You think of a conservative man with a nuclear family that has proper gender roles, and you say that he is a christian
>>
>>8189741
Pretend it is some crackpot conspiracy theorist
>>
>>8189723
I like the world he created, but the story is lacking, and Ciri kills it off completely after the mage battle.
>>
>>8189638
Mate you're missing the whole point of the series. Felisin was a fourteen-year-old girl who seemingly for betrayed by her beloved older sister. Her parents are dead, she thinks Ganoes is dead, she has nothing. Then she realises that she can use sex to get what she wants, and because she's so young and naive she becomes a hedonistic crackwhore. At this point she despises herself, but as she's still a child that often manifests itself as lashing out at others.
In Malazan, almost every "bad" character has reasons why they turned out that way.
>>
>>8189749
*who was seemingly betrayed by her beloved older sister
>>
What would you recommend to somebody who likes
>Le Guin
>Mieville
>Simmons
No series longer than 3 books please.
>>
>>8189758
Lord of Light, Zelazny
>>
>>8189749

She is being spiteful and cruel and mean to the only people who are trying to save her and keep her alive, she is intentionally being fucking selfish: taking more rations, not helping work load
That bitch needs to learn her lesson, it's no fucking excuse that she is young, or what she has been through, but nobody will teach her, nobody will make her shut up and make her reevaluate her position via physical scolding, she is a spoiled brat who needs to get back to reality
It's a fucking miracle the people with her even tolerated her enough not to kill or abandon her to die on her own
>>
>>8189758

If you can stretch your limit to 4 books, the light of the Pancreator will shine upon you.
>>
>>8189762

I suggest you stay as far away from The Wheel Of Time as you possibly can. If Felisin triggers you this much, Nynaeve Egwene and Elayne will boil the blood in your veins.
>>
File: 1463835788921.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1921) Image search: [Google]
1463835788921.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1921
>>8189759
Looks delicious, thanks.
>>8189763
I'll put that on the list for now.
>>
>>8189741
A Quaker who managed to unshackle his Quaker values through hard work.

>>8189762
Mostly because she has trust issues as there were people she put trust in only to get backstabbed.

>trying to save her
How should she know they don't have other motives?

All she knows is she got betrayed by family, she got betrayed by others, she doesn't know if her family is still alive. She's been used.
Why would she trust some random strangers?
>>
>>8189767

I thought I got triggered hard when I feel feminism ultra liberal ideology being pushed on me by brain radio waves via text on pages in fantasy books but this is something else, more primal, maybe I want fiction more than reality
>>
>>8189769
>How should she know they don't have other motives?

It's not about trust, nobody in that company trusts each other (at least as far as I've read), it's about survival, and the only reason she is alive is because of the other people in the party, she wouldn't last a few days in the desert without them, yet she constantly feels the need to make them want to abandon her ever time she speaks or does something, what the fuck is going through her mind
>These people are my only hope of getting out of here alive
>Better insult them with every sentence
>Better not help the party
>Better be super selfish and not care for anyone else

It's fucking crab mentality and something else, you can't fucking survive without others you need to work together
>>
>>8189776
>Can't handle banter

>crabs
Watch your fingers Heboric.

Whatever, she's not some super major character either way.
She's only in 3 books, GotM, DG, and HoC
>>
File: tips.jpg (13 KB, 160x259) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
13 KB, 160x259
>>8189770

>I thought I got triggered hard when I feel feminism ultra liberal ideology being pushed on me by brain radio waves via text on pages in fantasy books
>>
>>8189786
>tfw JCW has a normal, maybe a little high-pitched voice, standard American accent
Pull it together, man! Speak as uptight as you write! I want those r's trilled!
>>
>>8189785
Was she in GotM? I only remember one of the epigraphs being ascribed to "Felisin Younger," but her mother is also named Felisin, so there are three Felisins and two Felisin Youngers.
>>
>>8189725
More or less, yes.
Swanwick is also high tier.
>>
>>8189758
Das Kapital
>>
>>8189806

Yeah I wanted to put him in there but I didn't want to be accused of being the shill since I'm not.

I do have Swanwick as a Facebook friend however, he's a sweet old man. You'd never guess he writes about degenerate capitalist elves engaging in all sorts of debauchery 24/7.
>>
Can Vox Day save fantasy?
>>
>>8189831

So far he's doing a pretty good job of crashing the Hugos with no survivors, but I don't see how some irrelevant awards can save or damn fantasy anyway.
>>
>>8189831
If he would hurry the fuck up and release sea of skulls.

And also find better names for his books.
>>
>>8189831
Doubtful, fantasy has to want to be saved before he has any chance.

>>8189837
Hugos hasn't been relevant for quite a while, I'm always legitimately surprised that anybody follows it at all after 2005.

>>8189875
>God, Robot
Every time, what a god awful name.
>>
Saved from what? Come on, say it. :^)
>>
>>8189895
Tor?
>>
>>8189895
Being boring? What do you want me to say?
>>
>>8189895
anglos
>>
File: John-Scalzi-008.jpg (20 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
John-Scalzi-008.jpg
20 KB, 460x276
>>8189891
They're relevant to me.
>>
>>8189905

And what is Tor doing wrong, exactly?
>>
File: 15977849._SX540_.jpg (19 KB, 540x205) Image search: [Google]
15977849._SX540_.jpg
19 KB, 540x205
>>8189895
>>
>>8189918
Running slates to push their favored authors (Scalzi) to award status. Smugly informing non-Scalzi authors that if you want Hugos, just get votes. Crying Nazi when someone else runs a slate and gets votes.
>>
>>8189919

Saved from a tweet by some moronic nobody who's not even a sff writer? We're in grave danger indeed.

Or maybe you mean sjws in general, in which case a) there aren't that many in the field and b) Day's gang is just as bad
>>
>>8189918
You probably already know, you just haven't pieced together the pieces yet.

It isn't quite as simple or one-political minded as >>8189921 would suggest.

One example is they don't take any responsibility for the actions of their authors and staff members, they regularly libel, slander and attack other authors and members of the community, recently this has escalated to physical assault when Hayden attacked Wrights wife.

Should I continue?
>>
>>8189925
>there aren't that many in the field
But they get all the Hugos.
>Day's gang is just as bad
Privilege+power my friend.

So you were just waiting for someone to say SJW so you could mock them, is that it? There is no room in your skull that someone could be opposed to Tor using the Hugo award to advertise their sub-standard authors without being part of some social crusade?
>>
>>8189921

Sounds exactly like what Day is doing except Tor doesn't push for shit like chuck tingle just to watch the world burn. Scalzi might be bad but at least he respects sff. Day is just out to destroy and to troll, this is all publicity for him.
>>
>>8189936
>recently this has escalated to physical assault when Hayden attacked Wrights wife
I thought he just yelled at her. But yeah, it's pretty ridiculous, like when GRRM gets uptight about the stupid acronyms Correia's people made specifically so they wouldn't be offended, and then he tries to defend when his people call theirs neo-nazis.
>>
>>8189940
>Sounds exactly like what Day is doing except Tor doesn't push for shit like chuck tingle just to watch the world burn.

Holy shit how fucking new are you? That's literally exactly what they did with "The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere", Vox slating Tingle's work was a direct reference to that.
>>
>>8189940
Yes, VD claims to be fighting them on their terms. He wants them to taste a little of what he got way back when they called him a Nazi for writing a couple of WorldNetDaily columns in the early 00s.
>Scalzi might be bad but at least he respects sff.
He pays his mortgage writing books that disrespect SFF. Sure, you could say he's doing homage, but you could say VD's honoring SFF's tradition of breaking through social restrictions too.
>>
>>8189831
Is he actually a good writer?
>>
>but they get all the Hugos

Even assuming this is true, which it isn't, unless you're claiming irregularities in the voting system I don't see your point. If they get Hugos it means people are voting for them, no?

But whatever, this whole debate is fucked to hell and back since both sides have resorted to name calling, threats and what have you. Let's just abolish the damn thing. Except Day won't stop, because as long as this goes on people are talking about him, and he was nobody before this.
>>
>>8189966
>If they get Hugos it means people are voting for them, no?
Yes, but they only think it's fair when they're the ones getting voted for.

VD's trying to get it abolished, or at least made into a complete joke. If he wasn't doing what he's doing it would have become a grotesque, shambling zombie of an award.

>both sides have resorted to name calling, threats
This is the internet. This is what happens when everyone has a voice.
>>
>>8189966
>Popularity contest
>Gay fanfiction with literally zero SFF posted on a blog that was read by all of 10 people has a hugo
>Meanwhile The Dresden Files has won diddly shit
Ok.jpg
>>
>>8189891
>God, Robot
?
>>
>>8189972

>If he wasn't doing what he's doing it would have become a grotesque, shambling zombie of an award.

You mean just like now?
>>
File: G2ucIRQ.png (410 KB, 600x2197) Image search: [Google]
G2ucIRQ.png
410 KB, 600x2197
>what is Tor doing wrong
>>
>>8189996
*continued to be
>>8189999
>>8190000
>>
File: nohope.png (270 KB, 499x627) Image search: [Google]
nohope.png
270 KB, 499x627
>>8190001
Jesus christ
>>
>>8189919
> [Frank] Wu holds a Ph.D. in bacterial genetics from University of Wisconsin–Madison

> Has a Ph. D
> Can't differentiate between a man and a woman

Jesus Christ, get it togheter.
>>
>Used to try and get into /sffg/
>Succeeded at first
>Started playing Runescape again
>No longer find myself able to free up time for reading

I'm sincerely getting more fun out of this anachronistic RPG setting than out of any modern fantasy book I read. Am I just autistic or is the fantasy genre in this much of a rut?
>>
>>8190027
You're autistic.
>>
>>8190027

Well mayb-

>Runescape

You're autistic.
>>
File: 1423339200614.jpg (20 KB, 582x329) Image search: [Google]
1423339200614.jpg
20 KB, 582x329
>>8190028
>>8190030

k den
>>
>>8190001

How is whatever that idiot spouts on Twitter representative of Tor as a whole? I'm sure I could easily find one Rabid Puppy praising Hitler but I wouldn't take that as a sample of Day's opinions. Come on.
>>
>>8190084
It isn't, but you can't deny that's exactly what Tor believes, have you read their official blog? they unironically and regularly post about how evil white men are and why Sci-fi's sales collapse is due to not enough diversity.
>>
IDD is really solid thus far.
I did not expect it to be about child slavery in an industrial complex.
>>
>>8188666
Good to know satan
>>
File: WoR_FASHION-AZIR_v02_fmt.jpg (193 KB, 1357x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_FASHION-AZIR_v02_fmt.jpg
193 KB, 1357x2048
How is Timelike Infinity? I read the collection of short stories so I'm a bit curious about the inevitable transition to full novel. I actually read the first ~3 chapters and am enjoying it fairly quick although the interaction between Michael and his dad's Virtual came off as completely unrealistic. I hope the rest of the people in this novel aren't the same.
>>
Why did the thread suddenly die?
>>
>>8190320
Plebs
>>
>>8190320
The other autist that posted here is now playing Runescape
>>
Is The Winds if Winter coming soon?

The last episode of season 6 next week is The Winds of Winter. I think GRRM will announce the release date next week after the last episode.
>>
>>8190353
> Still thinking that Martin actually writes something.
>>
Are there any fantasy novels or even series set in places based inspired largely by pre-European Central American civilizations (Aztec, Maya, etc.)?

Preferably not caricatures of those kinds of places, but believable (within the context of whatever physical and magical laws govern the setting) and complex.
>>
File: 1466450204673.png (113 KB, 262x307) Image search: [Google]
1466450204673.png
113 KB, 262x307
>>8190353

>Is The Winds if Winter coming soon?

every time
>>
>>8190364
>>8190381
Ebic memes m80's.
>>
>>8190386

It's not a meme that Gurm is a fat lazy fuck that systematically missed EVERY deadline for ADWD and so did not even bother to set them for TWOW.

You can go on his blog if you don't believe me. He posts almost daily about inane shit like football, his movie theater, the books he edits, the Puppy issue, anything except the goddamn book. In fact he's there so much that he replies if you ask a question, provided it's not ASOIAF related.

And you mean to tell me the book's coming soon? I'll believe it when i see it.
>>
File: 1326116399905.jpg (22 KB, 140x147) Image search: [Google]
1326116399905.jpg
22 KB, 140x147
>>8190398
Nice memes.

He hasn't missed any deadlines, he sets the deadlines himself and if he needs to extend them then that is up to him and he has every right to do so.

The next and final episode of season 6 is called The Wind of Winter.
He will announce the release date next week.

Screencap this.
>>
>not taking as long as you want to write the book, then announcing a deadline for six months from now AFTER you've finished it, to create hype, then about a month ahead of time, announce it has to be pushed back three months, then two weeks before your original deadline, announce that never mind, due to an Adderall-fueled weekend you're back on track, all just to build up hype
This is Martin's mistake.
>>
File: 317.png (80 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
317.png
80 KB, 500x501
>>8190430

>ignore evidence and make claims out of own ass

The episode is called that because it will adapt the scene in ADWD where the white raven comes from the Citadel to King's Landing to announce it's winter.

I have provided proof GRRM doesn't give a fuck about committing to TWOW, while you have nothing. Good day.
>>
File: 1316967803610.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1316967803610.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>8190439
>I have provided proof GRRM doesn't give a fuck about committing to TWOW
No, you posted a load of meaningless bullshit.

So what if he missed deadlines that he himself set? Sometimes things take longer than expected.
He is the one writing the books and he can take as long as he wants, it isn't like he has to release the book by a certain date or else.

>The episode is called that because it will adapt the scene in ADWD where the white raven comes from the Citadel to King's Landing to announce it's winter.

White ravens were in ACoK from the beginning, two whole books and several years before ADWD.

Don't you think that it is a bit of a coincidence that the last episode of the current season has the exact same title as the next book in the series?

Surely you are not this retarded.
>>
File: 1456887648046.jpg (228 KB, 843x771) Image search: [Google]
1456887648046.jpg
228 KB, 843x771
>>8190430
>>8190430

>He hasn't missed any deadlines
>So what if he missed deadlines that he himself set?
>>
>>8190457
Meant to highlight

>>8190430
and
>>8190452
>>
>>8190457
You seem to be ignoring the point that no one set deadlines for him, he made an expected release date, missed it and changed it.

He isn't working for anyone other than himself.
If he misses a date and changes it he has every right to do it.
>>
>>8190430
>Screencap this.
Will do, showfag.
>>
>>8190375
None, sorry.
>>
>>8190452
I'm not that anon, and I have no idea if they'll announce it or if he's going to release the book remotely soon.

However, it could easily be called Wind of Winter because it's leading into the same material that will be in the book. They aren't going to name an episode based on some shit that's happening in real life that most people who watch the show don't even care about. There will be an in-story reason it's called The Winds of Winter.

Did you think the TV series was only going to cover the first book because it was called Game of Thrones instead of A Song of Ice and Fire?
>>
>>8190474
They literally just name the episodes cool lines from the books because they kind of fit the episode. There's nothing more to it than that.
>>
>>8190375
All that comes to mind is that section of Island in the Sea of Time where they encounter the Aztecs. Nothing much happens, unless you want to read about some woman getting raped by a leopard.
>>
>>8190001
So who is this twitter bird?
>>
>>8191018

I assume it's some ultra feminazi twat.

I always found it ironic that the alt righters are more informed about these people than the SJWs themselves. Like, I have a feminist friend and I would bet any amount of money not only she doesn't know what Brianna Wu tweeted, but even who she is
>>
>>8187738
hi, I'm a scifi pleb but have recently gotten into it. hoping for some suggestions based on what I like. any ideas?

I recently binged all novels of the commonwealth universe (the original saga, the void trilogy, the first faller novel, and the short stories. minus misspent youth). I've fallen in love with it to an insane degree.

what I like about it most is that it starts from a (at least to me) pretty novel and believable point. humans invent wormholes, so spaceship tech is basically useless for a long while.

I love the family dynasties that sprung up. I liked that it shows both the good and the bad coming from this. I really liked some of the characters in those books, and how they are explored in such a way that you always want to read more from them (nigel and ozzie especially), such that they stay somewhat mysterious to you, the reader, even though you follow them directly a good chunk of the time. (on the other hand, a lot of characters were quite boring and felt mostly useless).

I loved the jump to the void trilogy, because it showed - in the same fictional universe - how technology and other progress extrapolated from already the quite advanced level we saw in the previous books. I loved the small number of distinct species that the books show, how different they were to humans and at the same time very similar.

I hated the prose and lack of conciseness of those books. sometimes I feel like the author uses 10 times more words than necessary.
>>
>>8191035
I liked that the books start from a relatively modern standpoint. some older sci fi I read long ago (foundation for example) is noticeably different from modern scifi in that those authors had to make stuff up that actually exists in our world now and as such those always read a little weird, and it makes their worlds inherently less believable, if that makes sense?
>>
File: pic279251 (1).jpg (3 MB, 1684x2309) Image search: [Google]
pic279251 (1).jpg
3 MB, 1684x2309
>>8191035

>hoping for some suggestions based on what I like. any ideas?

So you like large scope space operas. I think this is the book for you.
>>
>>8191035
Dune
>>
>>8190452
It wouldn't surprise me if GRRM simply lost passion for the project. I know he keeps saying otherwise, but if I had worked on the same series for 2 decades and THEN someone else got around to finish it before me, and I ALSO got old as fuck, I would not be surprised at all to lose motivation. he's probably loaded as fuck by now too and has no kids so no wonder he's taking his time.
>>
>>8191035
Do you want to check out free stuff in the baen library? I've read bedlam boys recently and the book has been enjoyable as an urban fantasy novel.

You can throw at the authors you like with downloading books from the website.
>>
>>8190001
Somehow I bet those diverse authors aping him are much worse writers
>>
>>8191029
Yeah. It's weird that I can tell my mom how Anita satkeesian is a scammer but I had tried to figure out who's publishing short stories.

Trying to listen to clarksworld archive podcasts Gave me a headache. I don't remember which story it was, but the use of neo-pronouns made me stop listening to it.
>>
File: 1464180000390-0.webm (522 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1464180000390-0.webm
522 KB, 720x404
>>8191063
GRRM doesn't like to actually write, he just enjoys being a writer. Going to cons and talking about writing but actually sitting down and doing it is hard for him. Here's what he said when talking to Stephen King a while ago:
>Stephen King told George there was time for 1 more question. George asked him "How the fuck do you write so fast? I have a good six months and crank out 3 chapters, meanwhile you wrote 3 books in that time!"
>Stephen answered that he writes almost every day and demands 6 pages a day from himself. George was amazed by that.
>He replied "You always get six pages? You never get constipated? You never get up and go get the mail, and think 'Maybe I don't have any talent and should have been a plumber?'"
He also types with one finger and uses WordStar 4.0 on a DOS computer. So yeah, I don't think he'll ever finish the last book but TWOW might still get released since he has already come so far and it sort of looms around like an albatross for him. At best he will then let someone ghostwrite his last book, at worst he dies just after TWOW gets released and we never get a final entry.
>>
>>8191140
Why doesn't someone tell him that he's retarded and he can disable spellchecking on Word and have automatic cloud backups?
>>
>>8191140
>GRRM doesn't like to actually write, he just enjoys being a writer
Do you retards ever read this utter shit you write?

GRRM has been a writer for over 40 years and has written one of the biggest fantasy series of books since LoTR.

What have you accomplished in you basement while shitposting on 4chan all day?
>>
>>8191169
for the same reason you can't tell any old people anything: he's old. he's convinced what he has is good enough and there are no major benefits to be gained from keeping up to date with this stuff.

I still wonder what would happen if his computer died or something. I can only hope at least one of his editors has version histories or stuff like that.
>>
Why is Bakker so based? Can anyone compete with his erudite prose and elevated narrative?
>>
>>8191173
They're basically heroin addicts for his books and can't endure the wait, coming up with absolutely inane shit in the meanwhile lol
>>
>>8191140
GRRM doesn't have shit on Rothfuss.
>>
File: 1464180000390-2.webm (558 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1464180000390-2.webm
558 KB, 720x404
>>8191173
Hello George!
>>
>>8191178
This is uncalled for b8
>>
>>8191197
Hello, retard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle4t4o8EDk
>>
>>8191140
>At best he will then let someone ghostwrite his last book, at worst he dies just after TWOW gets released and we never get a final entry.

You do know he's stated multiple times that he basically wants his work to die with him and doesn't want others finishing it, right? He's selfish as fuck.
>>
>>8191210
Maybe he just means he hopes to have it finished before he dies because he prefers to finish it himself rather than have somebody else finish it.
>>
>>8191173
GRRM has been a writer for over 40 years and has written one of the biggest fantasy TV shows since LoTR.
>>
>>8191210
>He's selfish as fuck.
Yeah, it sure is selfish to not want someone to shit over something you created and spent 20+ years making.
>>
File: part1.jpg (103 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
part1.jpg
103 KB, 600x800
>>8191205
I know where it's from, George. I wasn't posting it as evidence of how lazy you are, I think your pace speaks for itself. How about you finish your series instead of shitposting on 4chan?
>>8191210
That's what he says but there's quite a lot of money involved and he might be tempted to just let someone else write it and pretend it was his work. His wife is the one wearing the pants in his household and women do like money.
>>
>>8191235
Yeah but when you die, george, you can't really finish it.
>>
>>8191235
>>8191245
Also George let's not pretend HBO isn't trying its hardest to shit on your series right now. So let's stop pretending you care about that.
>>
>>8191235
George does a good enough job of that on his own I suppose.
>>
>>8191140
>He also types with one finger and uses WordStar 4.0 on a DOS computer.
Is there evidence for this? Because that could really explain why he doesn't want to write. If it took me an hour to draft one page, I wouldn't want to write either. It would also explain why he's shocked that King writes six pages a day at minimum. That's six hours at an achingly slow pace.
>>
File: Kuxcc4K.png (558 KB, 616x456) Image search: [Google]
Kuxcc4K.png
558 KB, 616x456
>>8191252
I can't be bothered to spoonfeed you but he has said so in interviews.
>>
>>8191252
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27407502
>>
>>8191265
How does this effect the speed of writing?
You can type just as fast on that setup as you can on a Windows PC using word.
>>
>>8191271
You can't do version control that way as far as I know. Aside from that, you're 100% right. Hell, I use a fullscreen minimalist text editor to write in that doesn't look too different from that.
>>
>>8190001
>I hate this author soooo much because identity politics!
>But I'm going to write fanfiction of his works
I've never seen anyone quite so happy with pozzing something but if you really hate something so much then wouldn't creating original works make more sense than mimicking what you hate?
>>
>>8191276
>he doesn't use ed like a true patrician
>>
>>8191316
>tfw my predecessors only used ed and were so afraid of vi they symlinked vi to ed and renamed it vi.ibm.
>>
So I decided to read some Conan....

>‘Yes, let us hasten!’ begged the girl, almost hysterical again. ‘My lover is wandering somewhere in the streets alone. The negroes may take him.’

>‘A devil of a custom this is!’ growled Conan, as he led the way toward the city, paralleling the road but keeping behind the huts and straggling trees. ‘Why don’t the citizens clean out these black dogs?’

>‘They are valuable slaves,’ murmured the girl. ‘There are so many of them they might revolt if they were denied the flesh for which they lust. The people of Zamboula know they skulk the streets at night, and all are careful to remain within locked doors, except when something unforeseen happens, as it did to me. The blacks prey on anything they catch, but they seldom catch anybody but strangers. The people of Zamboula are not concerned with the strangers that pass through the city.

WTF? And all this crap about "Negro gutturals" and "mongrel races" that litters the pages. This is horrible. Why couldn't these authors just keep their racism out of the story?
>>
File: nig tip.jpg (16 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
nig tip.jpg
16 KB, 214x317
>>8191316
>he doesn't use a piece of parchment, a bottle of ink and a pigeon feather only writing by candle light

Lol pleb
>>
File: zqt3K0E.jpg (55 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
zqt3K0E.jpg
55 KB, 567x561
>>8191345
>>
>>8191346
>not taking up the chisel and runestone like your fathers before you
wew
>>
>>8191114
I dunno, who are they? If best girl Kiernan is involved it might be redeemable
>>
>>8189700
Handsome northern lad
>>
>>8191376
>not grinding berries into paste and painting your story on a cave wall
>>
>>8191376
oral tradition etc

There should be some kind of shortcut for this meme. Someone mentions writing with OpenOffice edition 2016 and we jump straight into ">not implanting your spores onto other bacterias in the primordial soup". Save a lot of time and effort.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.