[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who chained them in the cave in the first place
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: pythagoraswithfootballs.jpg (93 KB, 465x600) Image search: [Google]
pythagoraswithfootballs.jpg
93 KB, 465x600
who chained them in the cave in the first place
>>
>>8187679
They did. They chained themselves in the cave because they sought to minimize their suffering. Even today, when information and discussion is literally available to anybody, people are willfully ignorant or disregard the harsher realities and truths of life.
>>
it's a metaphor
>>
The muse of memes.
>>
>>8187679
God
>>
It's funny to imagine the ancient Greek Philosophers playing basketball, the modern Negro sport.
>>
>>8187679
their mums
>>
>>8187759
>people are willfully ignorant or disregard the harsher realities and truths of life.
Would you mind elaborating further on this?
>>
>>8187780
Because of eating the forbidden fruit?
>>
>>8187807
The amount of pain animals feel is mind boggling. They're tired, hungry, thirsty and horny all the time.
>>
>>8187827
Yes?
>>
>>8187832
It only gets worse the further down you go. Bacteria are under unbearable pain.
>>
>>8187837
Are they really though? Do they really have capacity for pain? Part of what makes pain so painful is our knowledge and past experience saying it's bad, but I can't imagine that bacteria can have such deep experiences.
>>
>>8187875
Isn't it the opposite? The more you focus on where the pain is happening the less painful it feels? Looking away from a needle makes it feel more painful so the more diffuse a consciousness is the more pain it feels. The darkness at the end of time will be the most painful experience of all.
>>
File: Everything I say fam.png (513 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Everything I say fam.png
513 KB, 800x600
Just finished reading Crito. Socrates' definition of 'what is just' a shit:

>"If we take it upon ourselves to destroy you because we think it is just to do so, you'll attempt to destroy us, the laws, and your fatherland, to the best of your ability? And you'll claim, will you, that in doing this you'll be acting justly?

>A fatherland is something is something more valuable, venerable, holier and more privileged...one must honour one's fatherland...persuading it to change its mind or doing what it says, unresistingly...don't you see that that's what one has to do, and that's where justice lies?"

His whole idea is that: Athenians/Law/State > Socrates/Individual.

He lacks nuance, and does not consider whether it is necessarily unjust to react (rather than submit) to an unjust law/state/etc. There is nothing apparently 'just' in and by itself - it needs the approval of the law/state/etc.

The problem he's left me with this is: in Euthyphro, he argues whether things are good because they are loved by the gods, or if they are loved by the gods because they are good. His conclusion is good, in theory; but consistently elsewhere, he errs in favour of the former.

Something is 'good' or 'just' because it loved (and thus commanded) by the gods/Athenians/law/state. He submits to an unjust ruling, and an unjust fate, precisely because it is ordained by the Athenians/law/state, and because he believes it to be ordained by the gods.

If he truly believed what is 'just' is 'just' independently of all these things, why does he submit to them when they behave or rule unjustly? Vanity? Patriotism? Lack of imagination? I'm trying to figure it out.

I can kinda see why Nietzsche hated him (and by extension, Plato) so much.
>>
>>8187955
There's been work done on this, but the short version is he's trolling Crito.

Have you compared the Crito to the Apology, by the way? The problem you're reacting to is intentional.
>>
>>8187894
>Looking away from a needle makes it feel more painful
needles can't feel pain, idiot
>>
>>8187679
>who chained them in the cave in the first place
when you go to cinima, who chains you in the chair?
>>
>>8187762
it's an allegory*
>>
>>8187875
I'm pretty sure being currently tortured is worse than remembering being tortured
>>
>>8189065
whatever adorno, it's not the same
>>
>>8189059
Lol wut
>>
>>8187837
>>8187875

Pain is signaled by nociceptors. It's a specific cell type that isn't present in lower life forms. So no, bacteria can't feel pain. Aversion responses are not the same thing as experiencing pain.
>>
>>8187679
the bourgeoiREEEEEEEEEEEEEE
GIVE ME MY MEANS OF PRODUCTION
FUCK THE RICH
CLASS WAR NOW
>>
>>8189129
I'm no bacteria expert desu
>>
>>8189129
you use a pretty arbitrary and unscientific definition of pain, it also looks as an example of circular logic - pain it's what is signalled by pain receptors <- when it's put plainly it sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? these receptors are not the only means for an organism to react to damage, and bacteria do react to damage, pain is a reaction to damage/possible damage albeit obviously most of those reactions are not pain. pain receptors are a specific method of damage reaction proven for many animals, but it doesn't mean it's the only way to feel pain. after all humans can feel pain without any physical agent too, so your definition of pain is already questionable; pain is subjective in its nature
>>
>>8187679
keked at filename. Shitpost/10
>>
>>8189452
this man is a reddit poster
>>
File: 20151115_174104.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151115_174104.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>8187759
Seconded unironically. Even smart folk dont like to think about oblivion and other like topics.
>>
>>8187759
They like being in the cave, and assault those that try to bring them out.
>>
>>8187679
genuine question from a friend of a friend when they learned about this at uni:
>but how did they find food in a cave?
>>
If they're chained to a wall, how can there be things behind them?
>>
>>8190181
Please guys I dont understand
>>
>>8190181
Plato btfo.
>>
>>8190181
you mean how can there be things behind a wall?

it's a short wall and there are people behind it holding things over it
>>
Demiurge
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.