[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. I have a problem that I'm sure at least someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: el-w.jpg (30 KB, 300x464) Image search: [Google]
el-w.jpg
30 KB, 300x464
Hey /lit/. I have a problem that I'm sure at least someone here has gone through: I can't fucking concentrate when reading.

I wanted to start reading The Crying of Lot 49, but my mind kept wandering every few sentences. It's not even trouble in understanding, it just seems to be impossible for me to keep focused on what I'm reading. I've read somewhat constantly throughout my life, but I have noticed that it's getting harder and harder for me to keep interested in what I'm reading. I don't have any particularly distracting habits I mean, shit, I don't even own a smartphone for that reason.

So, I wanted some suggestions: for those of you that have gone through something similar, what did you do to get better?

I was thinking that maybe I could start reading short novellas and build up from there; stuff that is not really attention-demanding (think about Vonnegut or Murakami, simple stuff). Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to go full samsara and start all the way back to the beginning with LOTR and Huckleberry Finn.
>>
>>8183558
>I don't have any particularly distracting habits
>is on 4chan
top lol
>>
>>8183562
Yeah, I know. But to be honest, this is basically the only website I waste my time on. Usually I browse a few threads on sci and sometimes here, but that's it. I don't know if there would be a considerable impact if I cut off 4chan completely, I guess I could try it for a few weeks.
>>
File: un-homme-qui-dort.jpg (34 KB, 400x663) Image search: [Google]
un-homme-qui-dort.jpg
34 KB, 400x663
bump

"My cultural baggage consists entirely of reading yogurt labels and watching people scream at each other on the beach or the fire station."
>>
I understand you completely, I have the same problem and it's very annoying because I end up spending a lot more time on a single book than other people reading the same thing.

On the bright side, talking with these people I've discovered that I'm able to remember more and better the details.
>>
>>8183558
>LOTR and Huckleberry Finn
Both better than vonnegut and murakami
>>
>>8184227
I'm not even there, man. I have the shittiest memory, I have to keep a small journal with quotes or thoughts on the stuff I read or else I completely forget it in a matter of weeks.

>>8184332
What I meant was that I don't want to start again reading the books of my childhood, I feel like reading new stuff. A couple of weeks back, I read this book by Banana Something, it was really pleasant and effortless, I'm looking for stuff like that: not completely devoid of beauty, but not pretending to be something either.
>>
>>8184377

I'll start assuming things here, but you sound a lot like me (I don't own a smartphone either for the same reason) and I'd trust you more without knowing you directly than to just dismiss your memory as being bad. Although it does sound bad. What I mean is, we all forget stuff, it's true, but part of remembering something lies in what impact it had on us. I'm trying to say that maybe you should read more meaningful stuff that influences you in a way you could remember, because you won't remember some mediocre shit book and I can tell you there's lot of shit not worth remembering in literature. Obviously this is not a suggestion that addresses the problem from yourself as reader but the material your working with.

As to how determine what's worth reading and what isn't, well, for the most part novels are a trap. Novel is the go-to narrative genre for entertainment, and nobody remembers entertainment because its only purpose is to spend your time on something, not to make you use your brain, except in some old cases.
>>
Love that book! Just keep reading and don't stop. Go w the flow.
>>
Turn of PC
Turn of Smartphone
Find a free space that allows you to read with nothing that is able to distract you near you

Then there are a couple of strategies:
1. Build up Momentum

Read easy or shorter novels, thinks where you can breeze through and that give you immediate satisfaction per page (Doesn't mean that it needs to be trash, many great novels give you this).

2. Give yourself a reading goal

Say that you read 40 pages per day. Or say that you want to finish this novel until X. This strategy is a bit annoying as you will grow overconscious of how much you've read and may turn reading into a drag, though i think what matters, if you want to read more but find yourself stuck in being unable to concentrate and being easily distracted, is that it turns into a natural habit.

3. Kill yourself

Yes. Kill yourself is also an option. It's just reading you dumbass cunt ''hurr why can't i concentrate''' - because you are autistic. It's just reading words and pages. Maybe do some sport per day, maybe don't spend 5 hours in front of the PC before you start reading.
>>
>>8185209
im genuinely autistic and have this problem, now i know why
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.