[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing A Book w/ Voice Dictation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: dragon_v13.png (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
dragon_v13.png
6 KB, 259x194
So /lit/ I've finally started experimenting with writing with voice dictation and machine conversion with Dragon version 13.
The first version of Dragon I used was 10.1 and it was massive shit but 13 literally is solid and the 99.9% out of the box translation is accurate.

I want to start a discussion of writing through Dragon rather than by typing the manuscript out. I'm one of those writer fags whose published 18 books through LuLu and as a matter of fact I just released one today. It's just getting processed through the LuLu system to all the book markets and it's called "The Psychology of Manipulation" so you know I'm not a massive fag.

My question is this: Since speech to text dictation has just been perfected would you use it to speak out a book rather than type one up?

If not, why and if yes why do you think its a good idea. I only ask because I just spoke all of this out instead of typing it like a bloody cave man and am seriously considering writing my books with speech to text from now on, maybe.

>Any version of Dragon before 13 is massive shit. They finally perfected the damn software so you fags talking shit about using a previous version need not even comment because I just took care of that little faggity bibbity for you.
>>
That depends. I assume it helps train you to continue during pauses in thought. But going back and changing things must be a bitch. I usually jump around during a session, change one thing and it causes changes to other things, almost like coding.
>>
>>8183018
>boasting about publishing 18 books
>posting a name of your published book when noone asked you

>"so you know I'm not a massive fag"
I think you are, though.
>>
File: training.jpg (326 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
training.jpg
326 KB, 1366x768
>>8183028
If you properly train Dragon on words you don't articulate well or words that belong in an exclusive vocabulary base then it's well worth the money.
After spending about 4 hours training Dragon it doesn't make any errors when I dictate to it anymore.

>well fucking worth it
>pic related
>>
EAT UP MARTHA
>>
File: reponse gizmo.jpg (35 KB, 456x456) Image search: [Google]
reponse gizmo.jpg
35 KB, 456x456
>>8183078
>>
>>8183018
How do you insert commas and punctuation?

How do you greentext?
>>
File: training2.jpg (217 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
training2.jpg
217 KB, 1366x768
>>8183114
You just say "comma" or the punctuation.
Additionally the Chrome extension is required.
Literally the best software I've ever bought save WriteItNow and Atlantis word processor.

>pic related is how you train dragon to green text
>>
>>8183144
did you just literally speak out your post into the air at your computer?
Reminds me of that pic where an anon is saying he went blind and has his little brother write out his posts and attach frog pictures and basically troll threads for him.
>>
>>8183018
how much is it?
>>
>>8183081
>viral advertising
pls stop.
I worked with a company that used Dragon for voice to text dictation, which was our main service. While it is surprisingly good compared to a cellphone, it just isn't as good as you say. Four hours of training words in would help, yes, but you also have to train your voice to the system and that plain doesn't work for everyone. Our training period was over a month long, and I would say a solid 40% of people would washout due to difficulties getting the system to understand their voice. That is 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, over a month to train our voices to use dragon properly. As someone who passed, it certainly did not understand my natural speaking voice, but a specific captioning voice I had to work to develop. Plus, it hates non-American accents, and even then it must be strongly Midwestern/neutral to be understood. Plus, you need a very good mic to actually be captioned well, your typical laptop mic will wreak havoc on what is being spoken.
tl;dr 4 hours to train it is just wrong.
>>
I was given one of these a few years ago and have never even unpacked it. Do you not find it unpleasant to not see words and pause halfway through as you type? I find myself able to speak in varying ways as I type, but when speaking I'm far more repetitive and can't gather my thoughts as well.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.