[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>“As a mother of five, with another one on the way, my ironing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: photo.jpg (25 KB, 335x337) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
25 KB, 335x337
>“As a mother of five, with another one on the way, my ironing board is always up.”

This is supposed to be grammatically incorrect... why is that? The meaning is clear
>>
for one thing a preposition is what it ends with
>>
>>8180737
not a real rule
>>
>>8180733
the sentence has other problems but grammar is not one of them.

for example it is implying that all mothers of five (presumably children) will always have ironing boards that are up. this is not necessarily the case. the children could all have grown up and left home, or maybe they prefer unironed clothes. this kind of problem can be found in almost all sentences that begin "as a <member of subgroup>, ..." which preclude individuality.
>>
"As a mother of five" should apply to the subject, but it applies to an object. It's like saying "As a republican, red states are important."

The core grammatical and syntactic concepts are all implicitly clear, and there's intuitively no ambiguity about the implied meaning, as "felt" by the speaker:
>I, speaking as a mother of five, say the following: [directly relevant declarative sentence about ironing boards].

So from a descriptivist standpoint it's not incorrect or incoherent. But if you subscribe to the idea that norms of grammar are important, even when they force you to formulate intuitively sensible sentences in slightly less intuitive ways (say, for additional clarity), then it's grammatically incorrect.
>>
>>8180733
This sounds like the ironing board is a mother of five. And she has another on the way. What a whore
>>
>>8180733
Doesn't it just say that because she has 5 children and another one coming the ironing board is always up because there's always clothes that need ironing?
>>
She has five kids, as a result, loads of washing up, hence the ironing board being up you fucking spergs.
>>
>>8181514
Autist. Follow the words on the page. If she says she has the ironing board up all the time, then it is safe to assume she has five dependent children.

You are going off on a tangent for no reason.
>>
It's grammatically incorrect because if you take out the none defining clause it's retarded.

>As a mother of five my ironing board is always up.
>>
>>8181810
>Autist.

try answering without just being instantly rude or using 4chanspeak, then i might be bothered reading the rest of your stupid response
>>
>>8180733
I don't know why redditors always feel the need to speak.

Anyways, the subject and predicate are disjointed. "As a mother of 5" refers to the subject of the sentence, the ironing board. That's it. Your mind automatically repairs the sentence because ironing boards obviously don't have children, so the subject change flies under the radar.
>>
>>8180733

It isn't grammatically incorrect. However, it would have probably been better as this:

>“As a mother of five (with another one on the way), my ironing board is always up.”
>>
>>8181905
This is the correct answer. OP's sentence has a dangling participle.

The clause, "As a mother of five" does not have an explicit subject. What follows ("my ironing board is always up") contains the subject of the sentence, but it does not match the previous clause.

This error can be tempting to write and difficult to notice because your mind quickly identifies that the subject (the ironing board) cannot have children, and therefore the writer is referring to the "mother of five."
>>
>>8181430
Yes it is, though I somehow doubt it violates the rule.
>>
>>8184313
No, it's not a rule.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/grammar-myths-prepositions/
>>
>>8183242
>>8183242
Isn't the subject of the sentence first person as the speaker, even if the sentence does not use a first person pronoun? How would you rewrite this sentence?
>>
>>8184560
As a mother of five, I have an ironing board which is always up.
>>
>>8184566
I suppose the OP's sentence just flows well as dialogue
>>
>>8180733
>“As a mother of five, with another one on the way, my ironing board is always up.”
My ironing board is always up as a mother of five, with another one on the way.
>>
Ironing board should be always down, if she's implying it's always in use.
>>
Dumb sentence to begin with. Western women don't use ironing boards anymore.
>>
>>8180733
> As a mother of five, with another one on the way, I always have my ironing board up.
Maybe this? I'm a NNES
>>
>>8181544
+1
>>
>>8181514
I don't think OP is so concerned about truth values, anon.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.