[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things for plebs that Literature somehow helped you avoid or overcome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: il.jpg (308 KB, 1022x1500) Image search: [Google]
il.jpg
308 KB, 1022x1500
I start
>Drugs
>Toxic relationships
>Luddism
>Expressing opinions out loud in public instead of in a private circle
>Bigotry
>Choosing sides
You can point out sources if you want, like what books made you come to that decision and so on
>inb4 it's all a big spook
>>
>Toxic relationships
>Bigotry
>Choosing sides

Would you please expand on those ideas, like what books you read or how you changed your opinion from one to the other?
>>
>>8178568
Funny, literature made my drug use worse. All that time spent alone reading, the drugs took away the increasing levels of depression until the addiction started having BAD effects, now I'm permanently fucked.
>>
>>8178568
>Bigotry
>Choosing sides
Weak cuck faggot fuck.
>>
>>8179619
Depression isn't real you gay faggot fuck, you're just sedentary and have a shit diet, low T.
>>
>>8179636
Well, I can tell you that when I did stand up for myself it only gave me more enemies that I could count
>>
>>8179642
>being a goddamn fucking pleaser cuck
Jesus fucking Christ, just kys
>>
>>8179640
>le biological scientist teaches you about life
you need to go back.
>>
>>8179640

Back to red/fit with you and your shitposting.
>>
>>8179646
I don't care about pleasing other people, I just don't want any unwanted attention.It got me into fights, physical ones.I got over that phase.
>telling anon to kill himself
>>
>>8179647
Fucking kill yourself you fucking undergrad newfag piece of shit, your entire problem is a) missing physicality and b) spiritual atrophy. Depression is just being a sad faggot fuck ODing on ZOGfood, gay internet bullshit and low T fiction.
>>8179649
Fuck off you pussy, I've been here longer than you.
>>
>>8179661
>OOGAA GABOOGAAH GHAAA GHASP
Seriously? I can't understand a thing you just said
Go back to the jungle you testosterone man
>>
>>8178568
i think reading the great gatsby in high school really helped me avoid the NEET life path and the stupid "money can't buy happiness" meme. before reading i thought rich people were uninteresting superficial capitalists and nothing more.
>>
>>8179661
>ZOGfood
wtf is ZOGfood and where do i get some?
>>
>>8178568
I think reading has helped my real life in various ways:
Overcoming fear of minor social faux-pas. In my teenage years I was often very reserved around people I didn't know, because often I say things that aren't received well. Reading 'nihilistic' books like less than zero and American psycho made me realize how worthless a lot of those social conventions are, and books like notes from underground, dharma bums and trainspotting made me realize how far you can take things that you want to do if you choose to ignore these conventions (obviously Renton on the underground man make some pretty strange decisions, but I think you can have the same extreme with healthy things.
Reading scar tissue when I was about 16/17 turned me off drugs, that was the first time I got an honest communication about them.
Infinite Jest made me turn away from being overly hedonistic, it taught me that there's more to life than pleasure.
>>
>>8180720
>Reading scar tissue when I was about 16/17 turned me off drugs
Had the opposite effect on me.
>>
>>8180751
I just felt that I finally understood why people took drugs. I'm not straight edge, but for a while I was very cautious bedside the part of the book where he is just doing crack by himself (like on the one hot minute era) was just so depressing.
>>
>>8180760
He absolutely loved taking drugs though.
The message I got was take drugs and don't take them often enough to get addicted.
The part where he was talking about how addiction creeps up on you and you are like okay I took heroin twice this week now I will do it one more time and then quit for a month shows that he likes drugs but not addiction
>>
>Luddism
What the hell have you read?
>>
>>8180720
>Overcoming fear of minor social faux-pas

What specifically did you read to overcome this? I need to know.

>Reading scar tissue when I was about 16/17 turned me off drugs,

This is "things for plebs that literature somehow helped," not "things for plebs that plebs somehow helped."
>>
>>8178568
People pleasing and trying to keep the same friends when also trying to change yourself. When shit happens I always give a quick "in my control or not?" check before I start seriously thinking.

Epictetus and Aristotle are the gruff yet intelligent father you never had.
>>
>>8180781
>things for plebs
Name a better autobiography that discusses addiction
>>
>>8179640
This anon may be a troll, but he's basically right. Depression is real, but the best thing you can do is realize imposter syndrome is bullshit and disregard any thinking you do when depressed, and constantly be moving and doing shit.

Every great artist has some degree of depression.
>>
>>8180770
Yes he did, but I could see in reading his book that I am quite a different person from him. I do like occasional drug use, I just think it's worth being very wary of it, and I don't think taking them is super important.
>>8180781
I think it was probably the books I mentioned in that paragraph of my post. It's hard to pinpoint whether it was those books, that's just what I was reading when I became less reserved. Other factors in my life obviously also contributed. I still make social faux-pas, I just care a lot less about awkward situations. Just try to realize how a lot of these things people try to portray themselves to be don't matter (eg being concerned with being 'patrician') and how there are much more important things in life.
>>
>>8180800
What things do you value most highly? Just curious.
>>
>>8180720
>it taught me that there's more to life than pleasure.
so what is there?
>>
You should stop reading if it turned you into such a meek faggot.
>>
>>8180829
>people must as hedonistic as me
>>
>>8178568
Some post I read on the internet when I was 15 saved me from being a beta cuck like you see on /adv/ or /r9k/, which was huge because I was never going to have gf or sex.
>>
>>8180831
>Bigotry
>Choosing sides

>hedonistic
just stop
>>
>>8180824
>>8180805
Well I realized that if you take pleasure and happiness to be the only things to take out of your life then I causes problems. If you take a look at the life of DFW, he didn't seem very happy, but I still think that his life had meaning. It's not to say pleasure isn't important. But so is self-development, loving those that are close to you, loving the natural world, appreciation art. These things are not only important because they give you pleasure. They should be valued in of themselves, because they are the what it is to be alive, rather than being a tool through which you can gain happiness. I know that this I am expressing this strangely, but anyway. Even pain can be important (not only because you appreciate the highs or you can learn from it) but because it's part of human life and it's how you feel alive.
>>
File: black vikings.jpg (27 KB, 260x320) Image search: [Google]
black vikings.jpg
27 KB, 260x320
I'm still a "bigot", but I'm now much calmer and stoic.

Guess its the opiate for the few and proud.
>>
>>8180837
What was it?
>>
>>8180131
But they are
>>
File: ninecastles.png (793 KB, 1357x8730) Image search: [Google]
ninecastles.png
793 KB, 1357x8730
>>8180857
oh, you had to ask. didn't you? see pic related.
>>
>>8180903
> I was saved by a sweaty anon pseud fedora who'd never touched a tit.

If you got sex after reading that, it wasn't because of that guy's shitty grasp of social skills and evolutionary psychology. It was either luck or because you got older and more confident.
>>
>>8180850
>>8134013
danger and play is what women are and want [they want play = safe danger] and men want women, but only because women are the ultimate danger and play thing. This is nice, but you can reach a life beyond this.

once you understand that men are not meant to be as good hedonist as women, you first acknowledge the superiority of women at the hedonistic life (which is just called life by men and women) and you see the misery of hedonism, either the direct hedonism of the woman, or the nihilistic fantasy of the delayed hedonism [hedonism of the will] of the man [the one that men advocate for, the one about engaging yourself into challenges after challenges, seeking merit, pursuing your passions, in one word still clinging to entertainment (typically to attract women sooner or later) to better turn away from their impotency at the hedonistic life..] created by men once they get beat by women.
Once you see the game as well as the noneffective masculine life, you lose faith in hedonism. At this point, you either see the solution or not {Nietzsche did not see it, or rather he did not claim explicitly that he saw it]: you strive to do the exact opposite of hedonism (either the masculine one or the feminine one): first you stop being nihilistic, in accepting what you are (it is crucial to be sincere about the starting point], meaning a worm, and in stopping to analyze the past to get a better future (= the strategy of men, which remains inside hedonism (even though they claim that it is not, and in practice is is clearly not), but even more nihilistic than the feminine hedonism, once they are beaten by women] and in stopping to take what you desire, feel and think seriously [=the hedonism of the woman, and the fueling of this hedonism by men].

Women are wrong for having faith in what they desire, in thinking that this is relevant to ones life
they are a bit wrong to let men spend their life trying to serve women.

Men are wrong to try to play with women, which is just serving women
men are wrong, after being defeated, to be resentful towards women
men are wrong to think, after being defeated, that the solution is to be even more nihilistic than women in dwelling in hedonism of the will

The lack of efficacy of the masculine life leads to a narcissism (contrary to men), but without egotism (contrary to women), a more equanimous and benevolent stance towards what is desired, felt and thought. At this point, you stop looking at hedonism of the body [=the feminine hedonism], turn towards hedonism of the soul [what religious call it], spirit, consciousness [what buddhists call it] [=the hedonism of the mild ascetic, the hedonism that most men fail to see and the one that women love to think that they embody (women love to think that they are not as egotistic as they are, that they embody a humanist stance)] and then you understand that even this is doomed to be disappointing, so you refuse it until you stop caring about this one too.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.