[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you read books? As in how do you get most out of the experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1365475090228.jpg (418 KB, 747x1417) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228.jpg
418 KB, 747x1417
How do you read books? As in how do you get most out of the experience e.g. learning new words etc. As someone who hasn't read much before (and going through the lit starter kit) should I highlight the phrases/words or maybe write them out in a separate notebook?
>>
>>8178419
Bump
>>
My recommendation is not to use the starter kit but just buy books that you are interested don't slog through a book you don't like just cause it's classic get shit you like.
>>
Read every book twice, make a small amount of notes the second time. Write an essay on it when done.
>>
>>8178419

Your best bet is simply avoid the starter kit for the time being, and for the time being just read whatever you want. Come back to the starter kit with a few books under your belt and then begin working through it, especially since now a difficult book, or a book you aren't enjoying, won't put you off forever.

Perhaps keep a commonplace book or another such notebook to keep track of what you have read and particular quotations you like, if you feel that way inclined.

To be honest, the best piece of advice I can give you is make sure you approach it with your enjoyment in mind. Don't jump in at the deep end, and equally don't tread water for too long. Just make sure you enjoy reading first, otherwise you will struggle for absolutely no reward.
>>
Read slowly unless you have a deadline.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.